overclocking e6600 problem

a_ferret

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Hello, first post here.
I am trying to overclock my e6600 processor to the reccommended starting point of 333x9 but have not actually gotten the computer to boot at that speed. i have it successfully OC to 300x9 right now and i believe it booted correctly at 310, but it did not work one other time i tried i believe. the error i get is a disk boot error after a few tries where i see a whole lotta FFFFFF s.
i have the boot sequence to CD and then hard drive and third disabled. it boots normally with that setup.
my motherboard is the DFI infinity 975x/g and my case has two 25mm fans, but with no solely output fan. my hard drive is a Western Digital 250gb hard drive.

advice would be appreciated. Just getting it to about 3.0 GHZ would be fine with me. thank you

a_ferret

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
also i have Wintec AMPX RAM rated at 800mhz and it claims it is good overclocking RAM. also i have Windows Vista home premium 64 bit.

also the precise place it hangs up is after (at least most) of the POST at some MAC ADDRSS with a bunch of hexidecimal numbers and then FFFFFF-FFFFF etc. tries three times and then says to insert the boot or something disk and press enter. however my USB keyboard is not responding at this time, so i havent exactly done that yet even. also i do not currently have a floppy drive.

kamran5461

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
i have the same cpu.
i'd check your temps. make sure they don't go too high. try upping your vocre a bit. that might fix the problem. also. lock your pci at 33 and pci-e at 100 mhz. respectively

RichPLS

Champion
I have an E6600 running at 8x at 400MHz 1:1 mem/CPU ration rock stable using 1.4 volts on an Asus P5B Deluxe... highest I tried successful so far was 3.5GHz, and I am running on AIR, although it is a Zalman 9700!

Anywho, stock speed for the E6600 is 9x multi using 266MHz mem speed for a 2.4GHz core speed.

You seem to be trying to boot at 9x multi at 333MHz which clocks the CPU at 3GHz, or at a 600MHz overclock.
Here is a guide for the P5B mobo
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41

Let us not forget homage to wusy... :wink:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overclocking-Guide-v1-ftopict197995.html