Dark Melee Q's

Huh. I rebuilt MMM as a scrapper and have brought him up to level 8 in a
couple of hours. I'm noticing something weird about Shadow Maul: it
occasinally AoE's. I'll be whapping one foe, and another (sometimes two
other) take damage as well. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to
it.

Bug? Feature? How can I increase its AoE-ness?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

I love shadow maul. :) Use it like the fire breath someone taught me
in an earlier thread only closer range.

I smack one fellow and then run around his friend so friend is between
him and me, usually they pile right on top of each other trying to get
to me and I lay into them with shadow maul. WIth a little practice
I've gotten so I can hit 2 or 3 guys at once about 80% of the time. On
a group of blues I usually take out those 2 with the maul so it really
speeds things up.

I like siphon life actually. Doesn't do great damage but at 10 its
healing me for 25 - 35 points which is enough to keep me alive quite
often.

Wolf Moon - 10 Dark/Regen Scrapper
Jade Pheoix - 15 Fire/Fire Blaster

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:25:58 -0000, Shenanigunner
<nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote:

>Huh. I rebuilt MMM as a scrapper and have brought him up to level 8 in a
>couple of hours. I'm noticing something weird about Shadow Maul: it
>occasinally AoE's. I'll be whapping one foe, and another (sometimes two
>other) take damage as well. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to
>it.
>
>Bug? Feature? How can I increase its AoE-ness?

It's actually a fairly narrow cone. I seem to get best results with
cones by constantly moving to line up the opponents, but I don't know if
you'll find that worth it.

In article
<1107778848.967272.43800@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, Tandaina
wrote:
> I love shadow maul. :) Use it like the fire breath someone
> taught me in an earlier thread only closer range.
>
> I smack one fellow and then run around his friend so friend is
> between him and me, usually they pile right on top of each
> other trying to get to me and I lay into them with shadow maul.
> WIth a little practice I've gotten so I can hit 2 or 3 guys at
> once about 80% of the time. On a group of blues I usually take
> out those 2 with the maul so it really speeds things up.
>
> I like siphon life actually. Doesn't do great damage but at 10
> its healing me for 25 - 35 points which is enough to keep me
> alive quite often.

Siphon Life is a good power. It's the only healing power
contained in a Scrapper primary.

On the other hand, it's not that great out of the box. Due to
it's initial small heal, high endurance cost, long recharge time,
and accuracy demands, it requires six-slotting to be really
effective. If you get it when it first becomes available, that
means it won't reach its potential for a long time.

If I had it to do over again (and I do actually... I haven't used
my free respec yet), I'd take Touch of Fear early instead, and
save Siphon Life for the twenties.

--
Neil Cerutti

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
> If I had it to do over again (and I do actually... I haven't used
> my free respec yet), I'd take Touch of Fear early instead, and
> save Siphon Life for the twenties.

I couldn't see too much use for ToF - if the foes you chase have ranged
power, they're just going to trot out of melee range and then come back to
snipe at you. Is it more useful than that?

--

Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote in

> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
>> If I had it to do over again (and I do actually... I haven't used
>> my free respec yet), I'd take Touch of Fear early instead, and
>> save Siphon Life for the twenties.
>
> I couldn't see too much use for ToF - if the foes you chase have
> ranged power, they're just going to trot out of melee range and then
> come back to snipe at you. Is it more useful than that?

Yes, they cower and will not attack you until the duration ends, unless you
attack them, then they will get one reply attack. Only one target per cast
though. Would have been really nice as an AoE.

--
The Soliphist asks...
What assertion do you make to validate your existence?

The Soliphist <fatmanlittleboy@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, they cower and will not attack you until the duration ends,
> unless you attack them, then they will get one reply attack. Only one
> target per cast though. Would have been really nice as an AoE.

Ah, I see. I haven't taken any fear/panic powers on any of my alts - not
too many choices for most of them and I was suspicious of their use for a
soloer. I might try Touch of Fear, then.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-

In article <wdGdnbRnbf5lNprfRVn-jw@giganews.com>, The Soliphist wrote:
> Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> wrote in
>
>> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:
>>> If I had it to do over again (and I do actually... I haven't used
>>> my free respec yet), I'd take Touch of Fear early instead, and
>>> save Siphon Life for the twenties.
>>
>> I couldn't see too much use for ToF - if the foes you chase have
>> ranged power, they're just going to trot out of melee range and then
>> come back to snipe at you. Is it more useful than that?
>
> Yes, they cower and will not attack you until the duration
> ends, unless you attack them, then they will get one reply
> attack. Only one target per cast though. Would have been really
> nice as an AoE.

*And* a 20% accuracy debuff to boot. Accuracy debuffs are one of
the few types of effects that actually become *more* effective
against bosses and higher level opponents.

--
Neil Cerutti

On 7 Feb 2005 04:20:48 -0800, Tandaina <tandaina@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I love shadow maul. :) Use it like the fire breath someone taught
> me in an earlier thread only closer range.

Shadow Maul is really great for "herd-into-a-tight-spot"
situations--where you can get a whole horde of mobs following you,
then get them to cram into a tiny space so they all overlap and turn
into "one or two" mobs. (Such as empty dumpsters you find in
instanced outdoor maps, or small buildings with fences right around
them like you find in Crey's Folly.) Get them to crowd right in and
smoosh together, then whammo...Shadow Maul, properly slotted, will
knock 'em dead.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |