how to create a boot disc

i downloaded WinXP_EN_PRO_BF.EXE from microsoft website for creating a boot
disc. however when i double clicked on it, it popped out a dos window and
ask me floppy drive letter.

well, i do not have a floppy drive and i was told i should be able to
creaste a boot cd rom which only requires one cd rather than 6 floppy discs.

but how am i trigger the WinXP_EN_PRO_BF.EXE to create boot cd?

Thanks a million!

The download creates a 6 floppy set. It will not create a bootable CD. What
do you want from a bootable CD?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

sleeplessphx wrote:
> i downloaded WinXP_EN_PRO_BF.EXE from microsoft website for creating a boot
> disc. however when i double clicked on it, it popped out a dos window and
> ask me floppy drive letter.
>
> well, i do not have a floppy drive and i was told i should be able to
> creaste a boot cd rom which only requires one cd rather than 6 floppy discs.
>
> but how am i trigger the WinXP_EN_PRO_BF.EXE to create boot cd?
>
> Thanks a million!

You were misinformed. That program was specifically designed to create
the six WinXP Setup diskettes for the purpose of installing WinXP on a
machine that cannot boot from the CD. It will not create a bootable CD.

All legitimate WinXP installation CDs are already bootable, so you
shouldn't need to create another. What, specifically, are you trying to
accomplish? Perhaps someone can offer an alternative?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

I presume to boot the system since the OP has stated he has no floppy drive.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:02:34 +0800, Andrew Murray wrote:

> I presume to boot the system since the OP has stated he has no floppy drive.

There's several choices/methods available for creating bootable CDs not to
mention the XP CD is capable of this function. Which to use depends on what
else needs to be done besides the obvious (boot the system). I suspect
Harry wants to know what kind of troubleshooting will be done so that he
can recommend the most appropriate solution.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks minimally for your "presumption" however I posed my question to the
OP who actually knows why he wants a boot CD.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp