CPU upgrade nightmare

krauza

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I just upgraded an an AMD XP 3400+ to 3500+ to avoid a problem with failed starts/Boot cycling secondary to a "failed over clocking" error that kept coming up. The mobo is an ASUS A8V delux. The bios recognized the new processor, but the system hangs whenever I tried to load windows. I eventually thought it was some windows problem, so I got a brand new HD and tried a clean install windows XP SP-2, but it hangs during the installation. The system has 1 x 1024 MB DIMM of RAM

any advice on troubleshooting this, or known problems with this processor

Thanks

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
I just upgraded an an AMD XP 3400+ to 3500+ to avoid a problem with failed starts/Boot cycling secondary to a "failed over clocking" error that kept coming up. The mobo is an ASUS A8V delux. The bios recognized the new processor, but the system hangs whenever I tried to load windows. I eventually thought it was some windows problem, so I got a brand new HD and tried a clean install windows XP SP-2, but it hangs during the installation. The system has 1 x 1024 MB DIMM of RAM

any advice on troubleshooting this, or known problems with this processor

Thanks

hm this is a tough situation. first of all upgrading to a 3400+ to a 3500+ was probably not worth it. but anyways what i would do is pull out the cmos battery for maybe a halfhour. pull the battery out the motherbaord take a shower and pop it back in an fire her up. also i would check the bios and see what temp the cpu is running at. if the heatsink of the cpu is not on right it may be causing the chip damage or something?? duno

Neuman

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004
yea that's good advice to check CPU temps. just to double check that you put the CPU heaksink on right. system hang/reboot can be typical of temp issues...

there are several ways i've heard to clear your motherboads CMOS..other options you may want to look into are:
- turning on the computer without the CPU in place, letting it run for ~10 seconds (research an exact amount of time..), turn off. put cpu in, boot up as normal.
- some motherboards have a jumper to clear CMOS. reference the manual but it basically consists of moving a jumper on the mobo, pressing power button. moving jumper back to original position, boot up as normal.

good luck!

krauza

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
The computer is one I actually helped my boss build. He decided to change processors because of a problem with boot cycling. Apparently after doing research on his own he concluded that there is a known problem with the Athlon XP 3400 (I did not research it myself, but I may post a separate thread in the CPU section about it). I've also noticed something similar with my XP 3000 +, where on loading the OS, it will give an error that says "overclocking failed" and reboot (machine was never over clocked). With my CPU, it usually does this once, then boots up normally. With his, it started doing it and it got worse to the point that it would just cycle and no longer load the OS. Prior to opting for the CPU change, he tried to flash the bios without improvement. It is possible that there is a problem that resulted from that bios flash. from the bios, the processor temp was a little high, but not bad 37C range - I will dbl check to see ifi it heats up when left on.

The bios recognizes the processor OK - if that is the case, will clearing the CMOS really change anything. Based on the current BIOS there are no problems with the set up. the problem comes in only when loading an OS (XP PRO SP-2)

Thanks for your advice everybody

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
The computer is one I actually helped my boss build. He decided to change processors because of a problem with boot cycling. Apparently after doing research on his own he concluded that there is a known problem with the Athlon XP 3400 (I did not research it myself, but I may post a separate thread in the CPU section about it). I've also noticed something similar with my XP 3000 +, where on loading the OS, it will give an error that says "overclocking failed" and reboot (machine was never over clocked). With my CPU, it usually does this once, then boots up normally. With his, it started doing it and it got worse to the point that it would just cycle and no longer load the OS. Prior to opting for the CPU change, he tried to flash the bios without improvement. It is possible that there is a problem that resulted from that bios flash. from the bios, the processor temp was a little high, but not bad 37C range - I will dbl check to see ifi it heats up when left on.

clear the cmos their is nothing to lose

The bios recognizes the processor OK - if that is the case, will clearing the CMOS really change anything. Based on the current BIOS there are no problems with the set up. the problem comes in only when loading an OS (XP PRO SP-2)

Thanks for your advice everybody

TRENDING THREADS