RIS and BINL

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 12, 2004 11:59:49 AM

I get this in the event log at server startup or trying to
start the BINL service. It started happening after a
reboot following installation of a printer.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 12/05/2004
Time: 15:50:19
User: N/A
Computer: BSNT05
The Boot Information Negotiation Layer service terminated
with the following error:
The specified user does not exist.

RIS Clients cannot recieve a dhcp address and come with
the error message:

PXE-E53: No boot filename recieved.

Any help

More about : ris binl

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 1:10:29 AM

From kb 281929...

This issue is a timing issue, and it can occur if you configured RIS
and the DHCP Server service on the same domain controller.

The error message can occur if the server is configured as a WINS
client or if a WINS server is not defined for the server. This
behavior has not been reported when the server is configured as its
own WINS server.

To work around this issue, configure the BINL service to be dependent
on DHCP Server. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrrentControlSet\Services\BINLSVC\DependOnService
3. On the Edit menu, click Add, and then enter the following value:
DHCPServer

Reference
HOW TO: Enable Debug Mode for Remote Install Servers
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=236033

Event ID 7023 Occurs When the BINL Service Does Not Start
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281929

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

On Wed, 12 May 2004 07:59:49 -0700, "PHIL H"

>I get this in the event log at server startup or trying to
>start the BINL service. It started happening after a
>reboot following installation of a printer.
>
>Event Type: Error
>Event Source: Service Control Manager
>Event Category: None
>Event ID: 7023
>Date: 12/05/2004
>Time: 15:50:19
>User: N/A
>Computer: BSNT05
>The Boot Information Negotiation Layer service terminated
>with the following error:
>The specified user does not exist.
>
>RIS Clients cannot recieve a dhcp address and come with
>the error message:
>
>PXE-E53: No boot filename recieved.
>
>Any help
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 4:53:15 AM

tried all that but still no joy. even moved the DHCP to
another server but still won't work...anything else??

!