Dos Mode?

I am still using an old computer with Windows95 and 98, and am considering
buying a new computer with Windows XP home.
I use the DOS mode often with the old system, and write some small programs
with GWBASIC. Does the XP operating systems include a DOS mode, and have a
utility for using the 'Basic' format to create small programs?
I lost half my hair getting where I am, and suspect that XP will take the
rest of it off my head.
Thanks.

Joe
9 answers Last reply
More about mode

    While XP certainly has DOS code within it, there is no DOS mode. There's a
    DOS emulator but there are no guarantees and with each new iteration of
    Windows operating system, we move further and further away from DOS, making
    compatibility more problematic as time goes on.

    The best way to go would probably be to hang on to your current computer
    even after buying a new one. That way, you can move forward to better
    hardware, later software while being able to continue with your DOS apps and
    coding for whatever purpose that serves for you. Conversely, you could dual
    boot XP on your new system with a version of Windows that contains a true
    DOS environment with which you know you can continue to work. This can be
    more problematic because you may not always find DOS drivers for hardware
    that you might need to use if that hardware is current.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    JoeF wrote:
    > I am still using an old computer with Windows95 and 98, and am considering
    > buying a new computer with Windows XP home.
    > I use the DOS mode often with the old system, and write some small programs
    > with GWBASIC. Does the XP operating systems include a DOS mode, and have a
    > utility for using the 'Basic' format to create small programs?
    > I lost half my hair getting where I am, and suspect that XP will take the
    > rest of it off my head.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Joe

    There is no way to reboot a WinXP PC into Real Mode DOS unless
    you've set up a dual-boot system. The WinNT family of 32-bit
    graphical operating systems, of which WinXP is the latest generation,
    has never used, included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS. The Recovery
    Console's CLI (Command Line Interface) is the closest you can come to
    the old "DOS mode."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    GWBasic works fine on XP Home for me.

    Regards
    Joe Steele

    "JoeF" <cdsops@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >I am still using an old computer with Windows95 and 98, and am considering
    > buying a new computer with Windows XP home.
    > I use the DOS mode often with the old system, and write some small
    > programs
    > with GWBASIC. Does the XP operating systems include a DOS mode, and have
    > utility for using the 'Basic' format to create small programs?
    > I lost half my hair getting where I am, and suspect that XP will take the
    > rest of it off my head.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Joe

    I'm using an old true DOS program called MS Basic version 7.0, without any
    problems on XP Pro. The only difficulty may be in trying to access a
    'device' such as a COM port, due to the 'driver' technique used by XP. Even
    TSR's are no problem. The DOS emulator in XP is pretty smart.
    Opa.

    "JoeF" <cdsops@mindspring.com> schreef in bericht

    JoeF wrote:
    > I am still using an old computer with Windows95 and 98, and am considering
    > buying a new computer with Windows XP home.
    > I use the DOS mode often with the old system, and write some small programs
    > with GWBASIC. Does the XP operating systems include a DOS mode, and have a
    > utility for using the 'Basic' format to create small programs?
    > I lost half my hair getting where I am, and suspect that XP will take the
    > rest of it off my head.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Joe

    XP has an emulated dos more that may or may not run your DOS apps.
    also note: a new machine running XP is going to have a much faster cpu
    than your win9x machine...and the higher cpu speed alone can
    cause your apps not to work. I've had to re-write some timimg loops
    in some old qbasic "programs" (games) .

    So you probably just want to keep your old machine even if you get a
    new one

    Hi,

    Besides doing a dual boot, you could always use a virtual PC program on the
    new XP computer. MS Virtual PC 2004 is pretty good. I have it installed on
    my XP Pro SP2 computer. Whenever I want to use programs made for DOS,
    Win3.1, 95, and 98, I just start them up in the Virtual PC.

    Jeff

    > While XP certainly has DOS code within it, there is no DOS mode. There's
    > a DOS emulator but there are no guarantees and with each new iteration of
    > Windows operating system, we move further and further away from DOS,
    > making compatibility more problematic as time goes on.
    >
    > The best way to go would probably be to hang on to your current computer
    > even after buying a new one. That way, you can move forward to better
    > hardware, later software while being able to continue with your DOS apps
    > and coding for whatever purpose that serves for you. Conversely, you
    > could dual boot XP on your new system with a version of Windows that
    > contains a true DOS environment with which you know you can continue to
    > work. This can be more problematic because you may not always find DOS
    > drivers for hardware that you might need to use if that hardware is
    > current.
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "JoeF" <cdsops@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>I am still using an old computer with Windows95 and 98, and am considering
    >> buying a new computer with Windows XP home.
    >> I use the DOS mode often with the old system, and write some small
    >> programs
    >> with GWBASIC. Does the XP operating systems include a DOS mode, and have
    >> utility for using the 'Basic' format to create small programs?
    >> I lost half my hair getting where I am, and suspect that XP will take the
    >> rest of it off my head.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Joe

    I agree. VPC works much better for me too. I run several flavors of
    Windows, DOS, and Linux without having any partitioning or boot issues.
    See:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    and
    http://vpc.visualwin.com/

    "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Besides doing a dual boot, you could always use a virtual PC program on
    > the new XP computer. MS Virtual PC 2004 is pretty good. I have it
    > installed on my XP Pro SP2 computer. Whenever I want to use programs made
    > for DOS, Win3.1, 95, and 98, I just start them up in the Virtual PC.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> While XP certainly has DOS code within it, there is no DOS mode. There's
    >> a DOS emulator but there are no guarantees and with each new iteration of
    >> Windows operating system, we move further and further away from DOS,
    >> making compatibility more problematic as time goes on.
    >>
    >> The best way to go would probably be to hang on to your current computer
    >> even after buying a new one. That way, you can move forward to better
    >> hardware, later software while being able to continue with your DOS apps
    >> and coding for whatever purpose that serves for you. Conversely, you
    >> could dual boot XP on your new system with a version of Windows that
    >> contains a true DOS environment with which you know you can continue to
    >> work. This can be more problematic because you may not always find DOS
    >> drivers for hardware that you might need to use if that hardware is
    >> current.
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >>
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "JoeF" <cdsops@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>>I am still using an old computer with Windows95 and 98, and am
    >>>considering
    >>> buying a new computer with Windows XP home.
    >>> I use the DOS mode often with the old system, and write some small
    >>> programs
    >>> with GWBASIC. Does the XP operating systems include a DOS mode, and
    >>> have a
    >>> utility for using the 'Basic' format to create small programs?
    >>> I lost half my hair getting where I am, and suspect that XP will take
    >>> the
    >>> rest of it off my head.
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Joe

    I agree, virtual PC is certainly an option as well.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Besides doing a dual boot, you could always use a virtual PC program on
    > the new XP computer. MS Virtual PC 2004 is pretty good. I have it
    > installed on my XP Pro SP2 computer. Whenever I want to use programs made
    > for DOS, Win3.1, 95, and 98, I just start them up in the Virtual PC.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> While XP certainly has DOS code within it, there is no DOS mode. There's
    >> a DOS emulator but there are no guarantees and with each new iteration of
    >> Windows operating system, we move further and further away from DOS,
    >> making compatibility more problematic as time goes on.
    >>
    >> The best way to go would probably be to hang on to your current computer
    >> even after buying a new one. That way, you can move forward to better
    >> hardware, later software while being able to continue with your DOS apps
    >> and coding for whatever purpose that serves for you. Conversely, you
    >> could dual boot XP on your new system with a version of Windows that
    >> contains a true DOS environment with which you know you can continue to
    >> work. This can be more problematic because you may not always find DOS
    >> drivers for hardware that you might need to use if that hardware is
    >> current.
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >>
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "JoeF" <cdsops@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >>>I am still using an old computer with Windows95 and 98, and am
    >>>considering
    >>> buying a new computer with Windows XP home.
    >>> I use the DOS mode often with the old system, and write some small
    >>> programs
    >>> with GWBASIC. Does the XP operating systems include a DOS mode, and
    >>> have a
    >>> utility for using the 'Basic' format to create small programs?
    >>> I lost half my hair getting where I am, and suspect that XP will take
    >>> the
    >>> rest of it off my head.
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Joe

    If you want DOS, stay where you are with your present operating system. Or,
    get Windows XP and dual boot with Windows 98se.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "JoeF" <cdsops@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >I am still using an old computer with Windows95 and 98, and am considering
    > buying a new computer with Windows XP home.
    > I use the DOS mode often with the old system, and write some small
    > programs
    > with GWBASIC. Does the XP operating systems include a DOS mode, and have
    > utility for using the 'Basic' format to create small programs?
    > I lost half my hair getting where I am, and suspect that XP will take the
    > rest of it off my head.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Joe

Windows XP DOS Mode Computers