I need your idea please

Okay i got 6GB of ram and my friend told me to use ramdisk and put the swap file on it that way im gonna use my ram in the right way and my pc will be faster i dun rly know what is this so i need opinions please :)
btw sry i dunno the right section >:(
11 answers Last reply
More about idea please
  1. well when i ran some test with ramdisk the speed i got for ram disk was 1.5 gb/s. a normally hard drive will run around 100 mb/s. you do the math if it will be faster.

    btw programs open immediately when running them on ramdisk but the downside is that when you restart they get deleted.
  2. advice: stop loading free programs into your computer
  3. With 6GB ram your swapfile will rarely be used in a way that you will notice. Better keep the ram available for your programs. If you want a realy fast and responsive computer that load programs fast, you should concider using an SSD for your OS and programs.
  4. Well i got ramdisk plus that keeps it without being deleted also i wanna know how to make it help me to boot the pc faster ;p
  5. @soundguruman its not "free" lol
  6. If you want the computer to boot faster, you are going to have to get a faster hard drive. That is your bottleneck, unless you just have tons of stuff loading on startup. If you are running a slow 5400rpm drive, you would notice a difference bumping to a faster one, but the biggest increase will come from getting an SSD, like roald suggested. Using a RAM disk isn't going to help that issue a bit.

    Windows 7 manages memory and swap space better than any previous version of Windows. If you have 6GB of RAM, you are not likely swapping much. If you are, then reserving RAM for a RAM drive is making your situation worse anyway, because less RAM available for applications = more swapping. Plus, unused RAM gets used by Windows to cache frequently used apps, so they start faster. Less RAM means less caching. More caching means better application startup times.
  7. cbrunnem said:
    well when i ran some test with ramdisk the speed i got for ram disk was 1.5 gb/s. a normally hard drive will run around 100 mb/s. you do the math if it will be faster.

    btw programs open immediately when running them on ramdisk but the downside is that when you restart they get deleted.


    And where did the 100 mb/s hard drive speed come from? Serial ATA is the standard interface for drive and has been for some time. Even SATA 1.0 supported a throughput of up to 1.5 Gb/s. Revision 3.0 supports throughput of up to 6Gb/s. You are still limited by drive speed on how quick you can read and write to the physical medium, but that becomes less of a limitation with faster drives and SSD. Your drive will never be faster than RAM, but that is the whole purpose of a swap file - it gives the OS a place to dump stuff that isn't actively being used to make more room in the faster RAM for the stuff that is active. This only becomes a problem when your computer begins to constantly switch things in and out of swap because there is not a sufficent amount of RAM.
  8. cmckay said:
    And where did the 100 mb/s hard drive speed come from? Serial ATA is the standard interface for drive and has been for some time. Even SATA 1.0 supported a throughput of up to 1.5 Gb/s. Revision 3.0 supports throughput of up to 6Gb/s. You are still limited by drive speed on how quick you can read and write to the physical medium, but that becomes less of a limitation with faster drives and SSD. Your drive will never be faster than RAM, but that is the whole purpose of a swap file - it gives the OS a place to dump stuff that isn't actively being used to make more room in the faster RAM for the stuff that is active. This only becomes a problem when your computer begins to constantly switch things in and out of swap because there is not a sufficent amount of RAM.



    idk what your question is because you answered it yourself. yes sata II can transfer up to 3.0 gb/s but most actual hard drives will transfer only about 100 mb/s on average.

    also there are pci SSD that can have speeds at or above 1 gb/s so saying that ram will always be faster is not necessarily true.
  9. cbrunnem said:
    idk what your question is because you answered it yourself. yes sata II can transfer up to 3.0 gb/s but most actual hard drives will transfer only about 100 mb/s on average.

    also there are pci SSD that can have speeds at or above 1 gb/s so saying that ram will always be faster is not necessarily true.



    My point is I was wondering where you came up with the number of 100mb/s. A 7200 rpm SATA drive has sustained read speeds well above 100mb/s. Many times that even. Hard drive speeds are dependent on numerous variables, such as rotation speed and buffer size.

    In addition, DDR3 RAM tops out at 6400mb/s which blows any SSD out of the water.
  10. cmckay said:
    My point is I was wondering where you came up with the number of 100mb/s. A 7200 rpm SATA drive has sustained read speeds well above 100mb/s. Many times that even. Hard drive speeds are dependent on numerous variables, such as rotation speed and buffer size.

    In addition, DDR3 RAM tops out at 6400mb/s which blows any SSD out of the water.

    idk lol probably the same way you do. i just have seen the number fly around so much and thats about how much my hard drive rates too.

    and the ram speed i gave was from when i tested ramdisk with my ram... i got 1.5gb/s
  11. To go back to the original question; memory page swapping definitely won't be an issue if you have 6 Gb of RAM on a windows 7 desktop. I'd personally leave the swapfile alone. I don't see any value in putting your swapfile on a RAM disk, if you think about it, this actually defeats the purpose of having a swap file in the first place. Arguably, you would achieve the same thing by setting your pagefile size to 0.

    As previous posters mentioned, when you say "my pc will be faster" you're inferring about boot time and loading time you should invest in an SSD drive and load your OS on it, keep your current mechanical drive for data and applications you don't access often/don't car about the load time.

    There's also the option to invest in a Z68 motherboard board with a small SSD and enable file caching, although in your case that might not be the best option.

    Bottom line, you have plenty of memory to run Win7, so this isn't your bottleneck.

    You want your PC to start faster, load game faster, etc.? SSD is what you want.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAMDisk RAM Windows 7