Motherboards for C2D with possiblity of QUAD uprgade?

egel

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
For an E6300 or an E6400, with an nVidia card, what board should I pick for decent OC'ing? Alas, 680i's are out of my range, and I'm not very keen on 975's. The only 650is available to me are the AsusP5N-E SLI ($244.51 NZD), and the Microstar P6N SLI ($397.57 NZD, and the outer edge of my price range). So it's a 650i, or a 965 (large selection), also I'd be interested in comments on the nVidia 590 boards (just for kicks).

What board then, be it a 965 or one of those two 650i's? Also, which 965 boards do you know of that are C2Quad compatible, for later upgrades?

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Most 965 should support quad with a bios update (if they were designed to).
You might want to look into an ABIT AB9 QuadGT which is being marketed as a MB for quad core processors and offers excellent overclocking.

egel

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
You might want to look into an ABIT AB9 QuadGT which is being marketed as a MB for quad core processors and offers excellent overclocking.
I would, but AB9 QuadGT's are not available in New Zealand. The only AB9 available is the standard AB9.

There are 3,978 posts asking this very same question as well as 2 THG C2D mobo roundup articles. Have you even looked??
At least one of those comparisons was BS: It ended up recommending a MSI. They missed out some very important issues including deadspots and also the used a 5step processor for the OC'ing. Read another thread about 965's that I READ prior to this, for that discussion. The other threads tend not to invlove 590i's or even 650i's. And I just ended up with a large list of decent boards at varying prices that I could have written myself. Hence me asking. Get say 3 boards to pick from not 30.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
basically your prob is that you are looking for a mb that can handle core2quad . while the 965 chipset supports it the mother power has to be specially wired to support it. In their infinite wisdom some manufacturers (or their marketing department) decided not to :evil: What syou should do is look for the 965 mbs that you like and are available there and then check for upgradability.

p.s. congrads on the world cup warm up match 18 run win. I'm originally from SL :(

egel

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
basically your prob is that you are looking for a mb that can handle core2quad . while the 965 chipset supports it the mother power has to be specially wired to support it. In their infinite wisdom some manufacturers (or their marketing department) decided not to Evil or Very Mad What syou should do is look for the 965 mbs that you like and are available there and then check for upgradability.
Thank you heaps, mate. This should be helpful.

p.s. congrads on the world cup warm up match 18 run win. I'm originally from SL
:lol: Good eh! (For me anyway :))