Internet sharing

AndrZ

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Hy.

I have a cable internett, till now I had 1 computer connected and all was fine. I got a seccond computer and I would like to get that one on the net as well, but whitout a router ( thru my firsth computer ). You might gues that it is not working, and I have no clue why. I ran the network setup and it is configured for the 1th comp to share the net. If I use Dial-up then it shares the connection and works fine ( and slow ... ), but with LAN, it simply whon't work.
I am using XP on bouth computers, and the firewall was configured so it dose not block the connections, I can acces bouth computers trough the network, share files, but not the net.
Ideas anyone ? ( beside getting a router :D )

AndrZ

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I tought that ewerything is possible, but now I doubht that since it seames that nobody knows, or it really is impossible ( wich I still doubht ).

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
You're going to have to use a proxy server on your "main" machine. This sucks for several reasons. I would advise you to buy a router :) ...they're pretty cheap these days. I'd recommend netgear stuff but I'm sure you can do just fine with other brands as well.

AndrZ

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Hy

I understand routers are cheap, and probably I will buy one, but beside that I just stubernly whant to know how it could be donne whitout. I am not familiar to the proxy server settings. Could you give me a crash cours ?

Thank's

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Sorry dude, I haven't used a proxy sever under win32 in years... it sucked was my memory. Try google searching "proxy server win32" and see what you get. You may also wanna search around on sourceforge.net for one as well.

DeadFire

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Well if you don't want to buy a router to share an internet connection that way, you can also buy another NIC card and some more cable. Install the NIC card, run the cable from the NIC card on the computer with the internet to the new computer. Then bridge the two connections on the computer with two NIC cards and there you go! The only downside is that if the computer with the 2 NICs isen't turned on then the other computer will not get internet.

DeadFire

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Why would he need a proxy connection for his new computer? :?: You don't need a proxy in a LAN unless you want to increase the security of it. I'm pretty sure he isn't worried about his security, a basic firewall can do that.

DeadFire

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
No, you will have to use the set-up I said. If you configure proxies on a machine with no internet connection you will not get anything, so configuring a proxy connection would be useless.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Must have missed one of your posts... bridging connections is something I haven't done. I was suggesting he run a proxy server on the machine that's connected to the WAN. His client machine would then use the proxy to get at the WAN. Maybe "bridging connections" is in effect a proxy server wo/ the formal setup/configuration, I don't know.

DeadFire

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Well all you have to do is highlight the two connections, right click, click bridge. But its not like a proxy, that would be just a little more work.

TRENDING THREADS