Downgrading from xp pro to 2000

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I recently installed xp pro but I am trying to resinstall
2000 but upon install I get an error saying that xp is
new and so i cannot install 2000 any ideas on how to fix
this????

Are you trying to dual-boot or overwrite? If the latter then to do a clean
install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set
of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bob" wrote:
|I recently installed xp pro but I am trying to resinstall
| 2000 but upon install I get an error saying that xp is
| new and so i cannot install 2000 any ideas on how to fix
| this????

Hi Bob,

> I recently installed xp pro but I am trying to resinstall
> 2000

Sensible move!

> but upon install I get an error saying that xp is
> new and so i cannot install 2000 any ideas on how to fix
> this????

Yes, this was done deliberately to make it difficult to revert to a
superior earlier version.

The way I deal with this on our corporate network is to "zap" all new
PCs using a DOS 6.22 boot disk. I run FDISK and delete all partitions
except for the Dell diagnostics. You can then either build from the
network or from the bootable Win2000 CD. The CD allows you to create
partitions before install time.

Obviously if you have programs and data already on the PC, you'd need to
back everthing up first and re-install.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

TRENDING THREADS