pentium 4 temp to high

G

ok my friend has pentium 4 3 ghz (prescott) cpu. at idle cpu temp is 67 degree. and if you start using the pc under like 40% load temp or less goes 85 or 86 degree. i checked cpu fan it's ok. Mb is 865perl. it took my friend day and half to load windows xp. i would have kicked computer if it was my pc. but we can't understand why is it so hot. is the cpu bad.??????? any ideas anyone

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
first you see that guy above he's an amti-ite - amd noob!

forget him - i built 4.1ghz systems for 2 years with 560j's up to 661 641 etc. last one was 5/06

max temps is 65-70c even at 4.25ghz if properly built and cooled - that means an after market fan and cooler 12cm fan and a case with 2 12cm fans or 5 80cm fans (2 back 2 front 1 door)

thats too high over 75c is high - you could - i mean could damage that chip over 80c by melting the epoxy in its construction.

clean pc

get a new cooler

its has nothing top due with the cpu - its cooling (case fan etc) problem, poorly installed heatsink or combo.

-----------------------

if its a new pc - reinstall the hsf or add more themal compound - most likely your have only 30-50% coverage with those temps probably only 30% of the hs is in contact with the cpu. when you pull the hs you can tell by the paste

did you spread the paste evenly? do not use a drop in the middle you get 86c that way!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Possible that the HS is dusty, or if it is 775 socket, 1 of the 4 pins that anchor the HS to the MB may have popped off, reducing contact to the surface of the CPU.

From what I recall, it should idle 50C, and loads would hit in the 70C. It should throttle at or around 76C. It is a hot chip, though it should be able to take the heat.

To really reach high temps to me, would indicate the HS is having problems.

G

thanks man. i as you said thermal compound i think my friend needs to buy new thermal compound. he used that thermal compound which was 5 years old. i would say it gets bad in 5 years. but he didn't listen. what do you guys think.

Shizamaaur

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006

Dragon you sure like to spray alot of shit around these forums... Why can't you get a life like everyone else and stop trying to take every chance you get to call people noobs. You Intelite noob :wink:

G

guys. i asked for a advise some people gave it thank for it. and some AMD fans keep posting negative stuff.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
A friend of mine needed a cheap computer just to play WOW, read e-mail and browse the net. He had a horible budget $150. So I went scavenger hunting. Ended up building him a 3.4Ghz prescott and had the same problem I had when building mine. The stupid push down fasteners wouldn't stay down. Now this is 4 freakin times I have delt with this problem with these heatsinks, what a crappy design. Anyways his temps were too high so I got a $15 heatsink that screwed down to fasten. Works great. The only things he to pay for was the mainboard and hard drive and heatsink. Everything else was surplus from other friends, who recently went to the Core2.

Well anyways the point is bring back the clips or design something different.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
The Prescott was Intel's attempt to enter the space heater industry. AMD attempted it aswell a few years back with the T-birds.

Both companies seem to be trying to edge into that area again with quad-core processors....

endyen

Splendid
We had a lot of problems with holddowns for the prescotts. Do as suggested by scorch suggested, and get an oem hsf with screwdowns.
If the thermal paste was in a sealed tube, it is probably just as good (or bad) as it ever was.
More people put too much thermal compound, than too little.

sotarn

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I have the same prob with my computer . cpu:52 celsius. chipset:46 c.
and climbing some times...is it too much????? :roll:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

forget him - i built 4.1ghz systems for 2 years with 560j's up to 661 641 etc. last one was 5/06

max temps is 65-70c even at 4.25ghz if properly built and cooled - that means an after market fan and cooler 12cm fan and a case with 2 12cm fans or 5 80cm fans (2 back 2 front 1 door)

thats too high over 75c is high - you could - i mean could damage that chip over 80c by melting the epoxy in its construction.

clean pc

get a new cooler

its has nothing top due with the cpu - its cooling (case fan etc) problem, poorly installed heatsink or combo.

-----------------------

if its a new pc - reinstall the hsf or add more themal compound - most likely your have only 30-50% coverage with those temps probably only 30% of the hs is in contact with the cpu. when you pull the hs you can tell by the paste

did you spread the paste evenly? do not use a drop in the middle you get 86c that way!

Why in the name of all things hole were you building P4 machines for so long...?

Oh, Intel fanboy, nvm.

sotarn

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
ok.
I took some zalman past on cpu and org.cooling fan. tomorrow i've have a zalman 7700 fan too + four chassifans in the box...
my english isen't so good "swe"see and learn like they say" :lol: ...
best
sotarn

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
A friend of mine needed a cheap computer just to play WOW, read e-mail and browse the net. He had a horible budget $150. So I went scavenger hunting. Ended up building him a 3.4Ghz prescott and had the same problem I had when building mine. The stupid push down fasteners wouldn't stay down. Now this is 4 freakin times I have delt with this problem with these heatsinks, what a crappy design. Anyways his temps were too high so I got a $15 heatsink that screwed down to fasten. Works great. The only things he to pay for was the mainboard and hard drive and heatsink. Everything else was surplus from other friends, who recently went to the Core2.

Well anyways the point is bring back the clips or design something different.
Wow, what a story, only a $150 budget, for a GAMING PC, and all you could think of was a 3.4G prescott?!!! You could have killed it with an A64 3500+ for ~$85.

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
It's an upgrade using spare parts from his friends. sometimes we have to make use of what we have. P4 is still a capable processor. Even I finished my pc using contributions from friends. we could never force our friends what to give.