Extend RAID 5 volume

I'm running out of space on my W2k server, so I added an
additional hard drive and now I would need to extend the
existing volume to include the new hard drive!

My current setup includes 4 discs setup as basic discs in
a RAID 5 configuration.

The options that have been suggested to me are use of
third party software like ExtPart from Dell or
VolumeManager from PowerQuest. However both methods seems
to be a bit risky and I would like to hear from someone
that has actually done this a few times and can recommend
the most "secure" way of performing this operation. Any
other working suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

/Adde
6 answers Last reply
More about extend raid volume

    To extend a System partition you must remember the following:

    1. Must be done from Safe Mode (Command Prompt) or boot to Safe Mode and
    open a DOS window.
    2. Must be done on Basic disks
    3. New Free Space must be contiguous (unused space immediately following the
    System partition).
    4. Not recommended (or supported) for extending the System Partition, but
    can be done if you are
    running Win2000 SP1 or SP2. If you are running SP3 and SP4, it
    intentionally cause errors when
    you try to extend a system partition via Diskpart.exe since this is not a
    supported approach.

    Note: The supported way to extend a system/OS partition is to backup the
    entire system partition,
    repartition the system partition to include the additional new disk
    space, format it, install the
    OS again, then restore from backup.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300415
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325590

    Hope this helps

    --
    Kyle Lang [MSFT]
    This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    "Adde" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running out of space on my W2k server, so I added an
    > additional hard drive and now I would need to extend the
    > existing volume to include the new hard drive!
    >
    > My current setup includes 4 discs setup as basic discs in
    > a RAID 5 configuration.
    >
    > The options that have been suggested to me are use of
    > third party software like ExtPart from Dell or
    > VolumeManager from PowerQuest. However both methods seems
    > to be a bit risky and I would like to hear from someone
    > that has actually done this a few times and can recommend
    > the most "secure" way of performing this operation. Any
    > other working suggestions are welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > /Adde

    3rd party apps are the most stable way ( I do this all the time) but ghost
    it first!

    --
    Sincerely,
    Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000

    "Adde" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running out of space on my W2k server, so I added an
    > additional hard drive and now I would need to extend the
    > existing volume to include the new hard drive!
    >
    > My current setup includes 4 discs setup as basic discs in
    > a RAID 5 configuration.
    >
    > The options that have been suggested to me are use of
    > third party software like ExtPart from Dell or
    > VolumeManager from PowerQuest. However both methods seems
    > to be a bit risky and I would like to hear from someone
    > that has actually done this a few times and can recommend
    > the most "secure" way of performing this operation. Any
    > other working suggestions are welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > /Adde

    Hi Adde,

    Are you saying you splattered all your boot stuff, system stuff and data
    all over the _same_ four disk RAID 5 array??

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  4. How to expand Raid 5 array without data loss?

    So to safely extend your RAID 5 array, you should first backup data on Raid 5. Then delete the 3 drive array and re-create it as a 4 drive array. Restore the data to the new larger Raid 5 array and you're good to go. Here is a detaied solution: http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/expand-raid-5-array.htm
  6. On basic disk extend hardware RAID by partition software, of course, It's way to convert your disk to dynamic disk, then using Spanned Volume to enlarge the capacity. An article http://www.extend-partition.com/resize-windows-server-2008-partition.html for resizing server partition.

NAS / RAID Hard Drives Windows