34xbr960 locals with antenna

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 11, 2004 12:23:16 PM

I have a Sony 34xbr960 on order. I was wondering if anyone is using an
attena to pick up HD locals? I am about 35 miles away, no obstructions.
Thanks
John
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 6:21:33 AM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:23:16 -0400, "John Matotek"
<jmatotek@adelphia.net> wrote:

>I have a Sony 34xbr960 on order. I was wondering if anyone is using an
>attena to pick up HD locals? I am about 35 miles away, no obstructions.
>Thanks
>John

Good choice for a direct view set, I have that same set.

Almost any off-air outdoor antenna would work. Best to use a 2, 4 or
8 bow tie antenna. The 4 bow tie is a popular choice.

Radio Shack has a fair antenna # 15-2160 for about $29. Winegard and
Channel Master has better antennas but cost a little more. Be sure to
use RG-6 coax. If its a long run coax (100 foot or more) use a UHF
pre-amp mounted at the antenna.

I'm using a winegard PR-8800 (8 bow tie) antenna up 30 feet from the
ground. I have a 28 db antenna mounted pre-amp with 150 foot of RG-6.
I receive about 26 stations in all and 7 of them are digital including
the networks and PBS. No drop-outs and I'm 75 miles (line of site)
away from the transmitters.

PBS has really good HD programming but with many repeats.

The antenna investment was worth it just for this one PBS station not
to mention all the HD football games on ABC and FOX.

hdtvfan
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 1:16:35 PM

Thanks for the answer. I checked all over the web and ended up ordering a
DB4 antenna. I'm going to try it in the attic first, then the roof. I'm 25
miles from Cleveland, but there are only 6 or 7 stations I can get. I have
Directv with TIVO, so I want to get HD on just the locals, until the price
of the HD TIVO comes down. Is the picture on the 34xbr960 as good as I hear?
When I ordered it he told me I might not like watching it with the bars on
the side, if it's a regular broadcast.
Thanks again
John
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 6:02:56 AM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:16:35 -0400, "John Matotek"
<jmatotek@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the answer. I checked all over the web and ended up ordering a
>DB4 antenna. I'm going to try it in the attic first, then the roof. I'm 25
>miles from Cleveland, but there are only 6 or 7 stations I can get. I have
>Directv with TIVO, so I want to get HD on just the locals, until the price
>of the HD TIVO comes down. Is the picture on the 34xbr960 as good as I hear?
>When I ordered it he told me I might not like watching it with the bars on
>the side, if it's a regular broadcast.
>Thanks again
>John

Yes its a very good set. The XBR series has been around for about 15
years with Sony. One day when the XBR sets first came out I walked
into a large store in Dallas. I remember seeing a single shelf
against a wall lined with various table TV's. One set stood way out
over the others. Plenty of contrast and the richest true colors you
ever saw. All this and I was looking from about 20 feet away. I asked
the salesman for the model number of that set. It was a Sony XBR set.

I ended up buying it by mail order and saves some $$. That same model
set lasted for about 14 years and had a great picture when one day it
would not light up. I ended up giving it to a elderly sony tv
repairman that was retiring where we live now.

Nothing to would stop me once I read the reviews on this new 34"
direct view XBR set. All shows look better than anything I have seen
before. A true HD show like from PBS or the Discovery channel is
really fantastic. The pro- football games also look super.

Now if Sony comes out like with a XBR - DLP type set that's affordable
I my upgrade someday.

I did try to connect everything using the component cables I bought at
walmart. I'm using a sony surround sound A/V receiver. I used a
coaxial from the DVD player for the audio connection.

I now have two screen width adjustments. One on the dish remote and
the other on the Sony set. I usually use the stretch or partial zoom
just to fill the screen on a 4:3 broadcast. I found on a true wide
screen show I can place the gray bars, then click for normal and the
picture opens full screen with no stretch. Impressive. Always rent
or buy DVD movies in wide screen. I enjoy the clarity and audio
better than at the movies.

Next time I may consider a 42" or 45" screen size although this 34" is
find for our room size. (8 to 9 ft. viewing distance)

Good choice the DB4 should do its job. Any drop outs you may add a
uhf pre-amp at the antenna.

hdtvfan
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:20:34 PM

Excellent response. I am going to save your tip for screen width
adjustments. I am sure most of the newer tv's will do what you want if you
can figure out how to do it. I don't usually use DVD's, but if the quality
is that good I might change my mind.
Thanks
John
!