MP3 player - "read only"?

Inserting MP3 player into USB displays menu similar to CD (do I want to
play, etc).
It shows as "removable disk H" (correct) and I can see/list/play the files
on it.

What I can NOT do is copy an mp3 file from C: to it - error message "Disk is
write-ptotected".

I've tried "sharing" the disk, putting it into "Shared Docs" folder - same
problem.

How do I get this "write protection" off, please?

Len.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:28:27 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:

> Inserting MP3 player into USB displays menu similar to CD (do I want to
> play, etc).
> It shows as "removable disk H" (correct) and I can see/list/play the files
> on it.
>
> What I can NOT do is copy an mp3 file from C: to it - error message "Disk is
> write-ptotected".
>
> I've tried "sharing" the disk, putting it into "Shared Docs" folder - same
> problem.
>
> How do I get this "write protection" off, please?
>
> Len.

Is Media Player (Microsoft's or any others) involved at all? Do you have
the Media Player set up for Portable Devices? What about licensing/copying
settings? Tried transferring from player menus instead via Explorer?

Some of the portable media players have "sticky" buttons to turn the device
on (must be held several seconds before device is available) and buttons to
allow recording. May need to check the manual for player as well as looking
closer at software player settings.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sorry - OS is XPPro/SP2 - forgot to say.