Sysprep to Ghost a Windows 2kpro and NT 4 Server Image to ..

Here's the deal.

I am trying to use MS Virtual PC 2004 to restore images onto that I created from my physical hard drive using Norton Ghost 2002. I am trying to restore images with two different operating systems: Windows 2000 Pro and Windows NT Server 4. Without doing anything to the created image itself, I was able to restore both images onto their respective VPC's (and the clone check was completed successfully), yet when I rebooted the VPC's, the WIN2k one stopped processing data after the gray "Starting Windows" bar had completed loading, and the WINNTServer one came up with a blue screen with an error message that read--
HAL: MPS MP Structure not found
HAL: No MPS Table Found
HAL: This HAL.DLL requires MPS version 1.1
Replace HAL.DLL with correct hal for this system. The system is halting.

I went to the VPC news group with this problem and they told me that the differing hardware between a physical PC and the emulated hardware of the VPC can cause this exact sort of problem. I was given two suggestions to solve the WIN2k problem, the first was to do a recovery install on the VPC, which didn't work because the media I originally installed Windows 2000 from was licensed by Gateway and I wasn't allowed to do that. The second was to sysprep the source machine before taking the image, then go through the mini-setup on the VPC I restore the image to. Well I did just that, and I got the same result as I had before, with no mini-setup wizard appearing after rebooting my computer.

My question to you all is that is there some where I could get a step-by-step tutorial/manual/guide to follow when performing sysprep? I may not have even done it correctly. And my other question is that would the same thing solve the hal problem I had with the Windows NT Server 4 VPC? And where could I get that download?

I realize this is a long post, but in order to get a better answer, you should know the history of the problem first.

Thank you,

Jessica
3 answers Last reply
More about sysprep ghost windows 2kpro server image

    Hi

    Have a look at these links They have all the info on the different ways
    sysprep is used, and how to use it.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000pro/deploy/depopt/sy
    sprep.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/deploying/duplication.asp
    (same for windows 2000)

    "Jessica" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here's the deal.
    >
    > I am trying to use MS Virtual PC 2004 to restore images onto that I
    created from my physical hard drive using Norton Ghost 2002. I am trying to
    restore images with two different operating systems: Windows 2000 Pro and
    Windows NT Server 4. Without doing anything to the created image itself, I
    was able to restore both images onto their respective VPC's (and the clone
    check was completed successfully), yet when I rebooted the VPC's, the WIN2k
    one stopped processing data after the gray "Starting Windows" bar had
    completed loading, and the WINNTServer one came up with a blue screen with
    an error message that read--
    > HAL: MPS MP Structure not found
    > HAL: No MPS Table Found
    > HAL: This HAL.DLL requires MPS version 1.1
    > Replace HAL.DLL with correct hal for this system. The system is halting.
    >
    > I went to the VPC news group with this problem and they told me that the
    differing hardware between a physical PC and the emulated hardware of the
    VPC can cause this exact sort of problem. I was given two suggestions to
    solve the WIN2k problem, the first was to do a recovery install on the VPC,
    which didn't work because the media I originally installed Windows 2000 from
    was licensed by Gateway and I wasn't allowed to do that. The second was to
    sysprep the source machine before taking the image, then go through the
    mini-setup on the VPC I restore the image to. Well I did just that, and I
    got the same result as I had before, with no mini-setup wizard appearing
    after rebooting my computer.

    > My question to you all is that is there some where I could get a
    step-by-step tutorial/manual/guide to follow when performing sysprep? I may
    not have even done it correctly. And my other question is that would the
    same thing solve the hal problem I had with the Windows NT Server 4 VPC?
    And where could I get that download?

    > I realize this is a long post, but in order to get a better answer, you
    should know the history of the problem first.

    > Thank you,
    >
    > Jessica

    Thanks for the help, but I found that I did everything correctly and still I got the same result as before. I even repeated the process given to me in the documents. Any ideas?

    Looks like the HAL between the physical PC and the VPC are different. As I
    understand, you cannot clone computers that have different HALs.

    Your only other option is to install the VPC from scratch - no cloning.

    "Jessica" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here's the deal.
    >
    > I am trying to use MS Virtual PC 2004 to restore images onto that I
    > created from my physical hard drive using Norton Ghost 2002. I am trying
    > to restore images with two different operating systems: Windows 2000 Pro
    > and Windows NT Server 4. Without doing anything to the created image
    > itself, I was able to restore both images onto their respective VPC's (and
    > the clone check was completed successfully), yet when I rebooted the
    > VPC's, the WIN2k one stopped processing data after the gray "Starting
    > Windows" bar had completed loading, and the WINNTServer one came up with a
    > blue screen with an error message that read--
    > HAL: MPS MP Structure not found
    > HAL: No MPS Table Found
    > HAL: This HAL.DLL requires MPS version 1.1
    > Replace HAL.DLL with correct hal for this system. The system is halting.
    >
    > I went to the VPC news group with this problem and they told me that the
    > differing hardware between a physical PC and the emulated hardware of the
    > VPC can cause this exact sort of problem. I was given two suggestions to
    > solve the WIN2k problem, the first was to do a recovery install on the
    > VPC, which didn't work because the media I originally installed Windows
    > 2000 from was licensed by Gateway and I wasn't allowed to do that. The
    > second was to sysprep the source machine before taking the image, then go
    > through the mini-setup on the VPC I restore the image to. Well I did just
    > that, and I got the same result as I had before, with no mini-setup wizard
    > appearing after rebooting my computer.
    >
    > My question to you all is that is there some where I could get a
    > step-by-step tutorial/manual/guide to follow when performing sysprep? I
    > may not have even done it correctly. And my other question is that would
    > the same thing solve the hal problem I had with the Windows NT Server 4
    > VPC? And where could I get that download?
    >
    > I realize this is a long post, but in order to get a better answer, you
    > should know the history of the problem first.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Jessica

Servers Windows