Connection sharing on LAN with static IP assignment

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hello!
I'm trying to install TopologiLinux on Windows XP. It creates a so-called
TAP-Win32 Adapter that represents the network connection for coLinux. But
these details are not important.
What's important is this TAP connection works only if I enable Internet
Connection Sharing on my Local Area Connection. I cannot do this, however, I
get this error message:

"An error occured while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. A LAN
connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for
automatic IP addressing."

My guess is that this is because (Windows XP Help):

"Important

You should not use this feature in a network with other domain controllers,
DNS servers, gateways, DHCP servers, or systems configured for static IP."
(about Internet Connection Sharing)

I guess this fits me because I'm on the company network where static IP
assignment is used.
But what to use then? Or is it purely a problem on the coLinux side?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

When you enable Internet Connection Sharing it tries to set the I.P address
of the shared adapter to 192.168.0.1

If you have any devices on your network with that I.P address then it will
fail.

Do not use this on a domain as what will happen is that your machine will
start handing out I.P addresses to any workstation that requests one !