PC not turning on. Please help

dylanamus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
It's been a couple of years since I was involved in PC building and all the rest of it.

2 years down the track and my priorities and lifestyle have changed and I barely use the PC anymore, nor really have the time or confidence to fix it myself. So I need some advice.

I noticed over the past few weeks the on button was becoming stubborn. It was taking a few goes to get it to turn on. The other day it just stopped turning the PC on altogether.

The power on LED is always on (when the PSU is switched on).

It's a DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D (from memory) and the PSU is an Antec Neo.

I tried using the "on" button physically situated on the motherboard itself, but that did nothing. Just to double check, I unattached the case face and checked the solder on the buttons, and they "appear" to be fine.

I checked all capacitors and they are all not rusty nor blown.

What could the issue be? (I don't actually have any spare parts to test and see what components are/aren't working.)

Thanks a lot

dylanamus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I might be able to annoy a friend and borrow his PSU from his PC to test.

One concern is that another friend had similar symptoms and turned out to be the motherboard.

How/why does the power on LED stay permanently illuminated? What causes this and what's the explanation behind the PSU being the issue?

Cheers,