Quick Q on having raid and non raid on same comp

Phasics

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I have 1 x 74GB raptor , 1 x 250GB atm on my comp

I was wondering if I get a second 74GB raptor can I raid 0 my 2 raptors but still have the 250GB drive separate so I can manually mirror the raptor drive to my 250GB drive for semi protection.

Also on a side note out of curiosity do raid controllers utlise dual core cpu's a sort of 1 cpu per drive, (sorry cant really explain what I'm asking maybe you can work it out)

Cheers

1. Yes, you can get a second Raptor and RAID it with the first, leaving the 250GB drive untouched. I did the opposite- left my Raptor not in a RAID and put two new 250s with my existing 250 to make a RAID 5. You can also mirror the data from your Raptor RAID to the 250 for protection.

2. RAID controllers can either be hardware or software-run. Hardware-run RAID controllers have a little onboard processor that takes care of data management while software controllers use the host computer's CPU. The very hardest single RAID level to run (6) takes very little CPU power to run. A single core CPU can crunch several gigabytes per second of RAID 6 parity, and many more GB/sec for RAID 5. The XOR in parity RAID devices will run fine on a single or multicore CPU setup, so no worries.

Phasics

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Cheers mate

went ahead and got 2nd raptor to make RAID 0

and it took all of 6 minutes to install windows !!!!

(it would have been quicker if I didnt have to put in key or change date and time LOL :D )

heheh very cool