Sign in with
Your question

Artifacts? Random crashes?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2007 1:24:19 AM

ok i have a his 1950XT turbo and having 2 problems with it

1) sometimes when im playing a game, very rarely it would crash, kinda. the screen just goes black. monitor says theres no signal going into it and i have to restart the computer. graphics card also makes a sound, like its resetting the fan or something

2) after a few hours of play in world of warcraft, i start seeing these multicolour "artifacts" at the edges of the screen. noticeable, but it isnt everywhere

anyone have any idea whats wrong? i have the fan set to 100% speed at 75C. everythings is ok under normal use. this doesnt happen all the time, seems to be random and quite rare but it does happen (the artifacts more than the crashing although the crashing was a big problem a few weeks ago when i had the clock speed higher)

also the card is running at stock speeds. 621mhz clock speed 900mhz memory. it WAS overclocked, but i brought it back then again
March 12, 2007 8:52:31 AM

are you playing fear?
i got the same prob with fear. HIS x1950 pro turbo, CCC 7.1
March 12, 2007 9:08:42 AM

gday from aus :)  , this just started happening to me yesterday so i thought id see if there was anything about it on here and indeed there was, got the same problems that Nem2k described with any game i play, i haven't changed anything to make it happen

got a 1950xtx, had it OC'ed a little, 675 core and 1065 mem
lame :cry: 
Related resources
March 12, 2007 1:39:27 PM

just thought id mention ive got 7.1 drivers, but i dont have the catalyst control center installed, didnt see the point really. and im using ATiTool to control the fan speed and that

glad to know im not the only one having problems

this is my first ATI card. ive always been an nvidia user but I went down this route because of the power/price ratio. this kinda makes me wish I had stayed nvidia tbh even if it does cost a bit more

so does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?
March 12, 2007 2:24:21 PM

oh God. I'm not alone.

Didn't have the artifacts, but plenty of black screens.

Tried catalyst 7.1, 7.2, Warcat versions of it too. no luck.

A way around this? Yeah - read my sig ))
March 13, 2007 3:06:32 PM

sounds like im not the only one having problems

is this something that happens with all ATI cards and you just have to live with it? or is it actually something to do with my setup?
March 13, 2007 6:24:00 PM

I don't have an ATI card so this is just a wild guess but has anyone tried to revert to a older driver?
March 14, 2007 12:28:53 PM

I have the 1950xt and I get similar problems, had to reduce the clock speed to stop the black screening, but I still get artifacts sometimes.

I notice that everyone so far has a P5B or P5B Deluxe (myself included), maybe co-incidence though.
March 14, 2007 1:34:29 PM

That seems like a good guess, unfortunately the only way to test it is stick the vc into another mb :( 
March 17, 2007 12:04:40 AM

Got different mobo, get lots of locked up screens tryin to play counter strike source, its awful.

Anyone got any answers?

About to do an RMA.

AMD 64 FX-53
ASUS SK8V
SAPPHIRE X1950 PRO 512 GB AGP
2X 512GB CORSAIR DDR400 XMS 32000
2X WD RAPTORS 74GB
DELL 24" FLAT PANEL 1920X1200
THERMALTAKE 560W SILENT PUREPOWER PSU
March 17, 2007 12:43:13 AM

well i dunno if an RMA would work because if a lot of people have this problem then it might not be an issue with your card if you get what i mean

i still havent found a solution
March 17, 2007 12:51:50 AM

This is just a guess but since artifacts can be and are caused when the graphics processor is overheated you guys problems could be due to the hsf not being properly mounted.

Try removing the HSF carefully reapplying thermal paste and remount it. Note if the is a sticker or a seal that should be removed to do this then don't as it'll make your guarantee invalid.
March 17, 2007 12:57:23 AM

Is HSF = to heat sink fan? as in the one on the CPU?

if so, my heat sink came preattached to my CPU and has worked perfectly with other graphics cards. would it "wear out", and need to be redone?

sry, kinda, definitely, just a nub here.
thnx for any help.

btw-there is no sticker
March 17, 2007 1:22:16 AM

No problem. You are right about what HSF means but not which one. I meant the one that is on the graphic card. Sometimes the manufacturers do a sloppy job.

B4 doing anything check for seals or stickers. Also if you are in doubt don't do it.
March 17, 2007 1:22:44 AM

i have never tried removing the hsf on the gpu before, no idea how to even go about it tbh :?
March 17, 2007 1:25:57 AM

It's actually quite easy. Normally its just 4 plastic clips that have to be pushed from the other side of the PCB. Just take a good look.
March 17, 2007 1:34:01 AM

Try clocking it WAY down, 200 MHZ below stock and take the side of your case off. That should eliminate heat as a source.
By the way, love the sig choknuti! Fullmetal rocks

edit, on closer inspection that may not be what I thought it was...
March 18, 2007 7:22:43 AM

Quote:

edit, on closer inspection that may not be what I thought it was...

Do you mean my sig? If so you were right the sig is from no 66 (who is my avatar)

If it is the speed thing then you are right slowing down will decrease the heat generated therefore allowing him to see if it is a heat related problem. Only it is not a solution as he wont be able to play any games with a half decent setting.
March 18, 2007 7:47:35 AM

ITs not the heat.
The 1950 core (r580) can go up to 115 centigrade before it starts throttling.

I had the aforementioned problems with the stock HSF and with an aftermarket one. (vf-900).

More "good" stuff: That stupid grill on the MSI card that I bought wouldnt let the card fit into my case (Thermaltake Swing), cause it touched against the right side of my case (beneath the mobo). I had to cut it a little :) ), RMA is out of the question.

My only hope is that we can work out some solution (e.g. an older/modified driver etc.) which would at least let me sell mine privately :) 
March 18, 2007 7:51:46 AM

Quote:

My only hope is that we can work out some solution (e.g. an older/modified driver etc.) which would at least let me sell mine privately :) 

Man you Moscovites are something else :p 
Since you've ruled out heat and it seems to be a common problem I can only guess that it is the drivers.
1. You could try an older driver.
2. Could be a conflict between ATI's and some other driver in your system (most probably chipset.)
March 26, 2007 5:25:05 AM

tried the 6 series of drivers, still same thing :( 

anyone managed to figure this one out yet?
March 26, 2007 4:04:43 PM

I have absolutely no idea what the problem is.

im using a sapphire x1950 pro and i got no problems with it what so ever.

have you tried using another make of drivers? like the omega drivers???

generally when i have an issue with my card i do the following for a fresh install:

1- go to google, and search for driver cleaner pro (download and install but do not run)

2- Keep the latest ATI drivers on your desktop aswell

3- Make sure you have all the windows update (specially the .NET framework). Install it if you dont

4- Just to be on the safe side download and keep the OMEGA drivers on your desktop

5- Uninstall your current drivers like u did before

6- reboot into safemode without any other application

7- run driver cleaner pro and select ati and click run to remove all ati related files

8- reboot into normal mode

9- install or try to install the new ati drivers

10- if that doesnt work, try the omega drivers by following steps 5-8 and changing 9 accordingly (select normal drivers, and untick multires)

if that doesnt work, and your psu is more than capable of powering it, then the next logical answer would be that your card is unfortunately buggered.
March 26, 2007 5:07:57 PM

what exactly are the omega drivers? how are they different?
March 27, 2007 6:28:24 AM

I would go with the omega drivers first and if that dosen't work use ATIs drivers.
May 11, 2007 2:26:48 PM

If you are on a P5B, try going into BIOS and setting PEG Link Mode (under North Bridge chipset configuration) to slow or normal. This apparently automatically overclocks the video card at the BIOS level, one of Asus' stupid little tricks to get higher benchmark scores in reviews. I don't have a link handy but if you google it you should find some info.

I am having the same trouble with my 1900xt in Company of Heroes. I don't usually get black screens, just artifacts and sometimes a total freeze. Occasionally I have also gotten the VPU reset message, and it has come back. I only have a 500 watt Enermax so it might be some combination of heat and power supply. And borderline power supplies do act up when it gets hotter - they become less efficient as ambient temperature rises and so their output falls. I have to say though my PSU is never even remotely warm, so I doubt it's the power supply. I am going to clean the dust out of the intakes today and see if that helps. the fact that the weather is getting warmer isn't great for us folks with these ridiculously hot cards, and that's probably part of the issue too.
May 11, 2007 3:31:59 PM

It still could be a heat issue even though the cards aren't supposed to throttle before 115 degrees C. I had a 6800GT that would get artifacts around 90 degrees and then go black. It would happen after a few minutes on the last part of Doom 3, or I could reproduce it readily with a 3D graphics utility from Japan, that I can't remember the name of. I will try to get the name of the utility when I get home tonight, if you think it would help.
May 12, 2007 1:06:44 AM

Yeah that'd be cool. Even repeating 3dMark06 for an hour I don't get any artifacts, or anything out of the normal. 3dMark isn't a good stress test because of the pauses between tests. There's no way to loop something without it switching back to 2d mode between loops.
May 12, 2007 2:26:27 AM

The tool is called Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting and is available here. When I was having random problems under Doom 3 I could use this utility to cause the video card to crash in under a minute.
June 2, 2007 10:04:24 AM

i too have this problem with my x1900xtx, and just made a post before i saw this

i just tried 7.5s and still have the same problem.
June 2, 2007 5:49:33 PM

I had heat problem with my x1950pro.
The ccc was giving me heat warning and black screen restart when playing games like titan quest...

fixed my problem by adding an old p3 heat sink on the x bracket (back of the card) with termal paste in the center.

http://gallery.photoshack.com/thumbnails.php?album=116

no problem since regardless of the driver. (using 7.5 now)
July 21, 2008 4:55:34 PM

Hey

I'm an nvidia user so i'm just puting in my 2 cents

I had alot of trouble with fear on my 8800GT, no signal displays, crashing, and artifacting. So i figured it was a heat issue. after much trouble and looking everything looked great! I could run the medusa demo on lower settings. I couldn't figure it out, then a friend of mine sad disable ur sound card (i use a soundblaster x-fi gamer edtion).. so i gave that shot, I don't crash anymore on fear or mass effect..

I don't know if this will help you guys or not.. but if you got a SB give it a shot and use ur onboard.. then Pray that creative updates there drivers....
July 21, 2008 4:55:58 PM

Hey

I'm an nvidia user so i'm just puting in my 2 cents

I had alot of trouble with fear on my 8800GT, no signal displays, crashing, and artifacting. So i figured it was a heat issue. after much trouble and looking everything looked great! I could run the medusa demo on lower settings. I couldn't figure it out, then a friend of mine sad disable ur sound card (i use a soundblaster x-fi gamer edtion).. so i gave that shot, I don't crash anymore on fear or mass effect..

I don't know if this will help you guys or not.. but if you got a SB give it a shot and use ur onboard.. then Pray that creative updates there drivers....
!