Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2006 all hdtv?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 10:05:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Is that right? All tv's would be capable of transmitting hdtv channels? Of
course not with your present non-hdtv set. That being the case, then I would
appreciate better reception of my pbs local chnl here in NYC. It is so garbled
that one can not appreciate it anymore, as I did in the past. 7 or 8 months
ago, time goes so fast I really don't remember, but it was my favorite clear HD
channel, and now its my worse.

More about : 2006 hdtv

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 10:12:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

harri85274@aol.com (Harri85274) wrote in message news:<20040911140550.04811.00003526@mb-m24.aol.com>...
> Is that right? All tv's would be capable of transmitting hdtv channels? Of
> course not with your present non-hdtv set. That being the case, then I would
> appreciate better reception of my pbs local chnl here in NYC. It is so garbled
> that one can not appreciate it anymore, as I did in the past. 7 or 8 months
> ago, time goes so fast I really don't remember, but it was my favorite clear HD
> channel, and now its my worse.


The 2006 date is the date for the termination of NTSC broadcasting,
provided certain conditions are met in terms of the percentages of
viewers in markets being able to receive digital broadcasts. It only
means broadcasts would then have to be digital, not necessarily HD.
And I wouldn't worry about it happening, it will continue to get
pushed out, unless Congress wants to get thrown out on their asses.

BTW, if you have a TV capable of transmitting any kind of TV signal,
point it my way and send over some adult entertainment please!
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 1:01:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On 11 Sep 2004 18:05:50 GMT, harri85274@aol.com (Harri85274) wrote:

>Is that right? All tv's would be capable of transmitting hdtv channels? Of
>course not with your present non-hdtv set. That being the case, then I would
>appreciate better reception of my pbs local chnl here in NYC. It is so garbled
>that one can not appreciate it anymore, as I did in the past. 7 or 8 months
>ago, time goes so fast I really don't remember, but it was my favorite clear HD
>channel, and now its my worse.

No.
All transmitters will have to be digital, but there is no stipulation
they have to be HD

http://www.hdtvpub.com/timeline.cfm
Related resources
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 4:43:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:01:47 GMT, "VernMan@my.home"
<wernergr@comcast.net> wrote:



>All transmitters will have to be digital, but there is no stipulation
>they have to be HD
>
>http://www.hdtvpub.com/timeline.cfm


Ok, so what's the "digital transmitted" reception like for non cable
users ?

Are kids in the projects going to be able to receive TV with their
rabbit ears or are we all going to pay $10 a month to buy them cable
tv ?
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:04:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:43:29 -0700, lsam@curious.com wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:01:47 GMT, "VernMan@my.home"
><wernergr@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>
>
>>All transmitters will have to be digital, but there is no stipulation
>>they have to be HD
>>
>>http://www.hdtvpub.com/timeline.cfm
>
>
>Ok, so what's the "digital transmitted" reception like for non cable
>users ?
>
>Are kids in the projects going to be able to receive TV with their
>rabbit ears or are we all going to pay $10 a month to buy them cable
>tv ?
>

Standard Digital (SD) transmitted signal is the same old 4:3 aspect at
480i/p. It's is just transmitted digitally in stead of analog. That's
all. Actually that is an improvement in that the signal is more stable
(it won't have the fade outs of analog, you will either see it
perfectly or not at all in case of bad reception) On a HD set (16:9
screen) the picture is centered in the middle with 2 black bars on the
side.
The only thing needed from the consumer is a TV set with an ATSC tuner
in it. Most (if not all) new TV sets have that already. There will be
no more NTSC.
No need for cable, sattelite and whatnot. Rabbit ears do just fine.
Actually that's what I use now for my off the air local channels in
HD. Most of the digital transmitters operate in the UHF frequency, so
you won't even need to extend the ears (VHF) anymore, just use the UHF
coil. Talk about space savings and esthetic appeal.
If you want to watch HD on these digital signals, you will need an HD
set able to display the full 720p or 1080i.
The transmission channels are split up in SD (standard digital/
480i/p) for non hidef TV's, and HD channels (720p/1080i) For example
here in Minneapolis I now get the old analog channel 9 off air as 9,
9-1 and 9-2. The 9 will go. The 9-1 will be for SD and 9-2 is now used
for HD. Some channels even split into 5 subchannels (like PBS)

EDTV (enhanced definition) TV's will be able to set the 480i to expand
from 4:3 to 16:9. Which of course won't give HD lines (720 and 1080)
but it is wide screen (without the sidebars)
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 4:16:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"VernMan@my.home" <wernergr@comcast.net> wrote in message

> The only thing needed from the consumer is a TV set with an ATSC tuner
> in it. Most (if not all) new TV sets have that already.

What planet are you on? Only a handful of TVs on the market have ATSC tuners
today.

Per the Consumer Electronics Association:

Phased-In Tuner Schedule:
The FCC time table calls for DTV tuners to be included in the following: 50
percent of television sets measuring 36-inches and larger by July 1, 2004
and 100 percent by July 1, 2005; 50 percent of sets measuring 25- to
35-inches by July 1, 2005 and 100 percent by July 1, 2006; and 100 percent
of sets measuring 13- to 24-inches by July 1, 2007. The mandate also calls
for 100 percent of other devices that include TV receivers - such as VCRs
and personal video recorders (PVRs) - to include DTV tuners by July 1, 2007.
http://www.ce.org/publications/books_references/digital...



Brad Houser
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 7:00:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

No the kids in the projects need to buy a digital tuner that feed into
their NTSC TV. If they cannot afford the TV tuner, then they will be
running on the street instead. Temporary power failure often can
start a riot in the inner city. A permanent failure to receive the
digital TV signal will start a riot the same way no doubt.


lsam@curious.com wrote in message news:<iojak05b4epalot7fa442hgnjaf248ac1c@4ax.com>...

> Are kids in the projects going to be able to receive TV with their
> rabbit ears or are we all going to pay $10 a month to buy them cable
> tv ?
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 10:58:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ee67c74a.0409141400.7b46c4ac@posting.google.com...
> No the kids in the projects need to buy a digital tuner that feed into
> their NTSC TV. If they cannot afford the TV tuner, then they will be
> running on the street instead. Temporary power failure often can
> start a riot in the inner city. A permanent failure to receive the
> digital TV signal will start a riot the same way no doubt.

according to Comcast and the local prosecutor, those sociopathic kids in the
projects already steal cable TV

after all, you can't get the good rap videos on OTA TV, only cable

the National Cable Assn says that almost 10% of urban homes even steal HBO
and SHO... probably for the full frontal nudity
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 1:08:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:16:47 -0700, "Brad Houser"
<bradDOThouser@intel.com> wrote:

>
>"VernMan@my.home" <wernergr@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> The only thing needed from the consumer is a TV set with an ATSC tuner
>> in it. Most (if not all) new TV sets have that already.
>
>What planet are you on? Only a handful of TVs on the market have ATSC tuners
>today.
>

My bad. You are correct. I was assuming that most would have ATSC
tuners already in place, but I checked and was wrong. Would have been
to logical to make such an assumption :-)
It's kinda bizarre with the projected end of NTSC in 2006, that TV
manufacturers would still sell sets that have only NTSC. Wouldn't that
make these TV's useless doorstops when all broadcasts go ATSC? I guess
people will have to buy the ATSC tuners seperate then...
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 1:08:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

VernMan@my.home wrote:
.... Wouldn't that
> make these TV's useless doorstops when all broadcasts go ATSC? I guess
> people will have to buy the ATSC tuners seperate then...

OR get their programming content from Cable or Satellite or from their
digital STB....
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 7:19:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"VernMan@my.home" <wernergr@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:e6nek09mki17m9dnmfqok4te9eucgv5sba@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:16:47 -0700, "Brad Houser"
> <bradDOThouser@intel.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >"VernMan@my.home" <wernergr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> >> The only thing needed from the consumer is a TV set with an ATSC tuner
> >> in it. Most (if not all) new TV sets have that already.
> >
> >What planet are you on? Only a handful of TVs on the market have ATSC
tuners
> >today.
> >
>
> My bad. You are correct. I was assuming that most would have ATSC
> tuners already in place, but I checked and was wrong. Would have been
> to logical to make such an assumption :-)
> It's kinda bizarre with the projected end of NTSC in 2006, that TV
> manufacturers would still sell sets that have only NTSC. Wouldn't that
> make these TV's useless doorstops when all broadcasts go ATSC? I guess
> people will have to buy the ATSC tuners seperate then...

The FCC is phasing in the requirement to include ATSC tuners starting with
the biggest sets this year. Eventually all new sets will have them, or be
sold with a seperate box that provides the capability. You can bet there
will be inexpensive set top boxes that will down convert all 18 formats to
NTSC for those who want to keep using their old sets. That part of the
market should get pretty big, and what surprises me is why we don't see more
of them today.

Brad
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 12:10:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Brad Houser wrote:
>....You can bet there
> will be inexpensive set top boxes that will down convert all 18 formats to
> NTSC for those who want to keep using their old sets. That part of the
> market should get pretty big, and what surprises me is why we don't see more
> of them today.


Brad,

That may in part be owing to the fact that folks with "old" sets that
subscribe either to cable or to satellite will not need be concerned as
they will continue to receive their SD via those sources.
!