erratic mouse movements

Hi,

I've been getting some strange happenings form my mouse. I will be using the
computer doing different things - the range/amount/mixutre of programs is
never the same - when the mouse will suddenly no longer seem to work with
the cursor. It doesn't go dead, but instead will jump erratically around the
screen really fast and minimise or close programs until it gets fed up and
stops.

Then it seems OK for a while and then without warning it will do it again,
maybe not that time Im on the computer, but the next time instead.

Any ideas?

I have reinstalled the latest drivers, cleaned the mouse ball, mades ure
'mouse trails' are not switched on and can think of nothing else to do.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:07:36 -0000, f9@freeinternet.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been getting some strange happenings form my mouse. I will be using the
> computer doing different things - the range/amount/mixutre of programs is
> never the same - when the mouse will suddenly no longer seem to work with
> the cursor. It doesn't go dead, but instead will jump erratically around the
> screen really fast and minimise or close programs until it gets fed up and
> stops.
>
> Then it seems OK for a while and then without warning it will do it again,
> maybe not that time Im on the computer, but the next time instead.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I have reinstalled the latest drivers, cleaned the mouse ball, mades ure
> 'mouse trails' are not switched on and can think of nothing else to do.

Is this a laptop with a touchpad or a desktop with mouse (what kind and
connection type)? Is there a second pointer device on the desktop or only
the one mouse?

Initial reaction reading your post is that there's a touchpad or
alternative input device active and it's conflicting with the mouse. Adjust
sensitivity or disable when using the mouse.

Other possibles: Low battery (if wireless mouse). A sticky mouse button. A
virus or rootkit giving remote control to an outside user.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

What happens if you adjust the mouse speed slightly in the Control Panel?

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:07:36 -0000, f9@freeinternet.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been getting some strange happenings form my mouse. I will be using
>> the
>> computer doing different things - the range/amount/mixutre of programs is
>> never the same - when the mouse will suddenly no longer seem to work with
>> the cursor. It doesn't go dead, but instead will jump erratically around
>> the
>> screen really fast and minimise or close programs until it gets fed up
>> and
>> stops.
>>
>> Then it seems OK for a while and then without warning it will do it
>> again,
>> maybe not that time Im on the computer, but the next time instead.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> I have reinstalled the latest drivers, cleaned the mouse ball, mades ure
>> 'mouse trails' are not switched on and can think of nothing else to do.
>
> Is this a laptop with a touchpad or a desktop with mouse (what kind and
> connection type)? Is there a second pointer device on the desktop or only
> the one mouse?
>
> Initial reaction reading your post is that there's a touchpad or
> alternative input device active and it's conflicting with the mouse.
> Adjust
> sensitivity or disable when using the mouse.
>
> Other possibles: Low battery (if wireless mouse). A sticky mouse button.
> virus or rootkit giving remote control to an outside user.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol

Sorry. Its a desktop mouse with PS2 and its the only mouse/pointer. I have
scanned for viruses with latest version of AV prog and nothing. It's not
usually online when it happens, though it does happen when online
ocassionally.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:51:42 -0000, f9@freeinternet.com wrote:

> Sorry. Its a desktop mouse with PS2 and its the only mouse/pointer. I have
> scanned for viruses with latest version of AV prog and nothing. It's not
> usually online when it happens, though it does happen when online
> ocassionally.

Give the mouse a good cleaning. Check manual for directions. Also wipe area
around the buttons as clean as you can. That it's clicking on things
independently bothers me but since it is PS/2 that just about eliminates
the chance of this being symptoms of crosstalk with another nearby wireless
mouse...

If the problem persists, try another mouse to see if the trouble continues
with different hardware. If it clears up, then your mouse was defective. If
it doesn't clear up, you'll need to dig deeper to find the cause.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

> What happens if you adjust the mouse speed slightly in the Control Panel?

> <f9@freeinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been getting some strange happenings form my mouse. I will be using
>> the computer doing different things - the range/amount/mixutre of
>> programs is never the same - when the mouse will suddenly no longer seem
>> to work with the cursor. It doesn't go dead, but instead will jump
>> erratically around the screen really fast and minimise or close programs
>> until it gets fed up and stops.
>>
>> Then it seems OK for a while and then without warning it will do it
>> again, maybe not that time Im on the computer, but the next time instead.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> I have reinstalled the latest drivers, cleaned the mouse ball, mades ure
>> 'mouse trails' are not switched on and can think of nothing else to do.

If I slow it down in control panel, it just gets very 'heavy' to move the
mouse across the screen but it will eventually go bananas again.

I wouldnt mind but it actualy closes things down that I havent clicked on.

Do you have another mouse to try? The more generic the better.

I'm not suggesting you go around the neighborhood borrowing mice instead of
sugar, but.... :)

>> What happens if you adjust the mouse speed slightly in the Control Panel?
>>
>> --
>> <f9@freeinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been getting some strange happenings form my mouse. I will be using
>>> the computer doing different things - the range/amount/mixutre of
>>> programs is never the same - when the mouse will suddenly no longer seem
>>> to work with the cursor. It doesn't go dead, but instead will jump
>>> erratically around the screen really fast and minimise or close programs
>>> until it gets fed up and stops.
>>>
>>> Then it seems OK for a while and then without warning it will do it
>>> again, maybe not that time Im on the computer, but the next time
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> I have reinstalled the latest drivers, cleaned the mouse ball, mades ure
>>> 'mouse trails' are not switched on and can think of nothing else to do.
>
> If I slow it down in control panel, it just gets very 'heavy' to move the
> mouse across the screen but it will eventually go bananas again.
>
> I wouldnt mind but it actualy closes things down that I havent clicked on.

TRENDING THREADS