IE upgrade

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I am trying to find out if you can slipstream an updated
version if IE into a W2K Pro distribution share. I have
done SP4, but would like to be able to do IE as well if
possible. As I run a very small shop with lots of
different PC's - Ghost is not a practical option, so I
have to try to build as much as possible into the network
installation of the OS.

Mike

Splendid

Why don't you RIS to a machine, do the update, and then push the image
back onto the server? Or are you looking for a work-around? I
usually slipstream SP4, then pull down the image-tweak with software
and new updates-then put the image onto my server. The only problem
is an update with the SP5 extension. Then, RIS will not want the new
image.

I am trying to avoid using RIS as well. Very few of my
PC's are the same make and model so I am trying to avoid
using images at all. I was hoping to "slipstream" IE into
the distribution point the same way you can do for a
Service Pack, that way I can create boot disks based on
NIC and use the old unattend.txt method of doing an
install.

Dave

Hi,

I'm not aware of a way to slipstream it "like a service pack", but I see
no reason you can't launch the ie6setup.exe file from CMDLINES.TXT or
whatever. My IE6SP1 is an IEAK build with the latest roll-ups.

On my own systems, I build them using unattend.txt and then run the IE
installer as one of the first tasks. I then apply the post SP4 patches.
IE6 can cause a regression problem is it's installed after other patches.

If anyone knows a better way, I'm certainly interested.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)