8800 GTS: Will it fit?

egel

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I am considering buying an ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi edition motherboard. Will my 8800 GTS 320mb fit on it? Exactly how long is an 8800 GTS btw?

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
The card willl fit on the motherboard, it will be close though, that is normal.

As far as fitting in the case, the 8800GTS is exactly 9" long plus the PCIe power plug that goes into the end of it so you will need to have about 9.5" of space.

Gooter74

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Is it possible to trim or cut the end of the card to help make it fit in some cases? I was just told by a Gateway tech that to make the 8800 GTS series fit in their FX530 series cases you had to cut the card. Now, I have a hard time believing this so hoping someone here can confirm or deny it.

Thanks

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
CUT THE CARD???? You have to be joking !!!!

NO, it is not possible, and if it was would you?

There are circuits no more than 5mm from the end of the board so I couldn't see it working.

Gooter74

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Not joking, that's what the guy at Gateway told me. I would never cut it especially after spending $300+ for it. Obviously, he just wanted to make a sale.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Not joking, that's what the guy at Gateway told me. I would never cut it especially after spending $300+ for it. Obviously, he just wanted to make a sale.

I think I would be calling Gateway back and reporting that guy. That's just crazy talk.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Is it possible to trim or cut the end of the card to help make it fit in some cases? I was just told by a Gateway tech that to make the 8800 GTS series fit in their FX530 series cases you had to cut the card. Now, I have a hard time believing this so hoping someone here can confirm or deny it.

Thanks

you can cut the card to fit.
BUT there is a 99.9% chance it will cease to work.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Err as long as the MB have a 16x PCIe slot availabe it will fit and the P5B does have one - also remember it is a dual slot card so you lose an expansion PCI/PCIe. You should be more concern if it fits your case and you have a sufficient PSU with at least one 12v rail (6-pin PCI-e power)!

I think he probably meant that you need to cut the case? LOL Well it is Gateway.

Gooter74

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I've talked to 3 different people at Gateway and have gotten different answers each time. One told me no it wouldn't fit, the other was the guy who said yes but you must cut it and now someone said yes it would fit no problem. LOL, I guess this is good enough reason for me just to build myself.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I would think the card would fit in any standard mid or larger tower case. It is not excessively big like the GTX its about the same length as those of hte last generation.

As for cutting anything to fit? Ask to speak to a supervisor at Gateway support and report those people if you still have the case number so they can see who worked your case. Its your civil duty to save the lives of many a GPU from these morons. You CAN cut the case if need be. A good dremel or rotarty tool and cutting disk will do. First off it probably will fit no problem. If thats not the case it may be as simple as notching the Hard drive bay area for hte card to fit. See exactly where the card will hit if it won't quite fit, then measure it up compared to the card.Then remove hardware of course from the case as metal dust/splinters wont' do your components any good at all. After everything is out, notch the HDD cage if necessary. Blow our/clean out case very thoroughly. Oh please wear safety goggles and gloves, metal and eyes/skin don't mix well either. If all goes well you can reinstall everythign and slide the card in.

Easy to do and you'll be the envy of anyone who doesn't know computers that well just because you now "modded" your own case to fit in a bad-ass card. Hehe. Good luck with it.

egel

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I would think the card would fit in any standard mid or larger tower case. It is not excessively big like the GTX its about the same length as those of hte last generation.
Thanks you very much.

Seriously, report the guy at Gateway, and don't cut your card. For his sake I hope it was a mistake and he meant the case. What a moron! Telling a customer to cut a gfx card! What do the guys at Gateway smoke?