Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Chipsets
  • Crossfire
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2007 2:16:43 AM

So, I ahve the 680i on order. I assume that Crossfire will not work on the nvidia 680i chipset: that I would need a crossfire board.

Is this correct or will crossfire work on the 680i

I am asking because I think the r600's with unified GUI architecture will be amazing.

More about : crossfire sli

March 12, 2007 2:17:48 AM

without the technical....

No, Crossfire will not work on this platform.
March 12, 2007 2:19:39 AM

The answer you are looking for is no. You can not run xfire on a nvidia chipset. Get yourself a 8900 when they come out, the 2900 from AMD may be better but the 8900 will NOT be a slouch.
Related resources
March 12, 2007 2:28:03 AM

PS, I meant GPU architecture.

ATI will have second gen unified Arch by then (first gen was xbox360). So I am betting that DX10 + r600 will be simply amazing.

So I am kinda disappointed that I'll need a new Mobo to run xfire.

But maybe the 8900's will kick the r600's butt, who knows.

I'll just buy two 8900's and since the 680i is compatible with Quads, I'll get one of those too and eat anything that I throw at the comp..
March 12, 2007 5:07:15 AM

or you could wait a tad longer and get a X2900XTX x2, yeah, thats right, lol, it's goign to be similar to the 7950gtx2 in layout and stuff, except instead of being based off the nvidia 79.. it will be based off 2 X2900XTXs
March 12, 2007 8:29:57 AM

Retarded question 8O

but anyway in one word NO :!:
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2007 5:30:24 PM

Quote:
Retarded question 8O

but anyway in one word NO

Why is it a retarded question? :roll:

The answer may in fact be the opposite of what you all think;
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=748630&starttim...

It is rumoured AMD wish to make Xfire MoBo agnostic, and it already was working on some old AMD boards back in the day when nV made the best AMD board and ATi had the best graphics cards.

There's no reason this couldn't happen, there's no hardware that inhibits/assists SLi/Xfire that is required (unlike original SLi PR pics).
March 12, 2007 5:50:24 PM

hmmm, i wounder if this is why r600 is taking so long to come out. Testing it on Nvidia chipsets to see if they can make it work 8O
March 12, 2007 6:46:12 PM

Quote:

The answer may in fact be the opposite of what you all think;
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=748630&starttim...

It is rumoured AMD wish to make Xfire MoBo agnostic, and it already was working on some old AMD boards back in the day when nV made the best AMD board and ATi had the best graphics cards.

There's no reason this couldn't happen, there's no hardware that inhibits/assists SLi/Xfire that is required (unlike original SLi PR pics).

I've read the same, that the new AMD/ATI cards will allow Crossfire on all platforms. I think its a good business decission that will encouage a lot of people to try Crossfire. I know for my own thoughts, I hate the idea of having to buy a specialized mobo to run SLI, and then if an ATI card came out that was better, having to buy a new mobo to run Crossfire. Its added expense and hastle, and so I tend to take the easy way out instead and either just run one ATI card or stick with Nvidia if I'm determined to use two cards.
March 12, 2007 8:45:49 PM

I sure hope that ATI and Nvidia can get over the whole "I make motherboards AND video cards" thing... I mean if they would just get to the point where they can say "I make motherboards" and "I make video cards" as seperate idea's.... SLI and Xfire would both work on either mobo its the software that blocks it :( 
March 12, 2007 9:22:08 PM

So what you are saying is that I can get me a 650 or 680 mobo right now and I will be able to xfire 2 x2900xtx's in 10 yr's from now when it is finally released 8O
March 12, 2007 9:39:21 PM

Supposedly yes at least from ATI/AMD's end of things... I wonder what driver version will allow this ?
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2007 12:17:34 AM

Quote:
So what you are saying is that I can get me a 650 or 680 mobo right now and I will be able to xfire 2 x2900xtx's in 10 yr's from now when it is finally released 8O

No I'm saying by the time you save enough to upgrade that pathetic X800Pro, it won't matter because everyone will already be moving to ALL intel and then ou finally get bargain basement nV MoBo and ATi/AMD graphics as everyone throws them out. :tongue:
March 13, 2007 2:29:18 AM

Quote:

No I'm saying by the time you save enough to upgrade that pathetic X800Pro, it won't matter because everyone will already be moving to ALL intel and then ou finally get bargain basement nV MoBo and ATi/AMD graphics as everyone throws them out. :tongue:

Intel Fan boy :lol:  just kidding :D 

retarded question cause hmmm :? dont know actually probably i was impulsive :wink:
March 13, 2007 2:44:26 AM

Quote:

And if you start your beard right now, you may be tucking it yor back pocket when the ATI cards finally come out. Of course, that 650 or 6800 mobo will also be a museum piece. But really, I do hope that the new ATI card is out by June, or July, or next December's Christmas sales.
March 13, 2007 4:08:54 AM

I would have the money, but the funds are frozen at the moment due to sanctions placed against electronic items by the president of monies of the bubba family. DAMNIT I need to finish school so I can make more money then her :x
!