I still can't figure out the DDR2 Ram Speeds!

utahraptor

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
If I used this:

Processor Speed
2.40GHz

Processor Interface
Socket 775

Processor Class
Core 2 Duo

Cache Size
4MB L2

Bus Speed
1066MHz

And a motherboard like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2714977&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

that supported these ram speeds:

400MHz DDR2
533MHz DDR2
667MHz DDR2
800MHz DDR2

and i did not want to do any overclocking, just everything at stock, would I recieve zero benefit from going over 533mhz ddr2 ram or would getting 800 mhz ram give me a speed boost?

Please help me and thanks!

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
It may give you a performance increase, somewhere on the magnitude of <10%, but the money could be better spent elsewhere depending on what you use your computer for if you weren't planning to OC.

memorymaster

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
When you say stock speeds, do you mean that you just want to plug in the memory and not adjust it?

I say this because all stock speeds are outlined in JEDEC standards....
533MHz at 4-4-4-12
667MHz at 5-5-5-15
800MHz at 5-5-5-15
Those are the only speeds that are stock (for those frequencies).

Now I am not very familiar with your board, but it looks like your board is SLI-ready. This means that you could get memory rated at 667 4-4-4-12 or 800 4-4-4-12 by just changing one thing in the bios (if the memory is SLI-ready). And you would still receive a lifetime warranty from most memory companies, since they program the SLI-ready timings into the module.

But if you are not looking to play any games or do anything really heavy duty on your computer, the 533MHz would be the way to go... and to save some money.

Mondoman

Splendid
MM is right, but didn't note that ECS is pretty much the "Yugo" brand of motherboards. Maybe this really IS a good quality motherboard, but why take a chance? There are plenty of known-excellent motherboards starting from $140 or so.

utahraptor

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
Okay, I am still not getting this entirely. I am going to let the memory run at whatever speed its SPD is programmed in at, not going to underclock the 800 memory to 533 if that is what you are thinking. However, I want to know if the the memory will run at the full 800 even if the FSB speed of the processor is not 1333 or higher. I just don't really understand how it all works, but thanks.

grifter33

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
If you leave everything at stock, the memory will run at 1/2 the fsb.

So if your cpu has a 1066 fsb, at stock your ram will run at 533 (533 x 2= 1066.) If you wait a few weeks/months and buy one of the new c2d's that run at 1333, you'd want 667.

Getting faster memory will not do you any good at all if you aren't overclocking at all.

You can buy ddr2800 but if everything is running at stock then it's going to downclock itself and only run at 533 so it's pretty much a waste. Faster memory is only needed if you're going to overclock, since the higher you push the fsb the higher you'll want your memory to go. Like the others have said, save the cash on memory and put it into getting a reliable board.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
You'll need to make a few adjustments to the SPD to get the correct timings of the memory you are buying, as recommended by the manufacturer.

In answer to the question I think you are asking, if you bought DDR800, which runs at 400MHz and your FSB is 1066 (266MHz) then most motherboards have an option where you can alter the FSB:RAM ratio; 2:3 would be what you would need for 266FSB:399RAM. Any clearer?

utahraptor

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
You'll need to make a few adjustments to the SPD to get the correct timings of the memory you are buying, as recommended by the manufacturer.

In answer to the question I think you are asking, if you bought DDR800, which runs at 400MHz and your FSB is 1066 (266MHz) then most motherboards have an option where you can alter the FSB:RAM ratio; 2:3 would be what you would need for 266FSB:399RAM. Any clearer?

That is a little clearer, does that mean the memory is actually running faster than the FSB at that point so you would in fact get benefit from faster memory without overclocking or is that used only for overclocking to keep the FSB down to a reasonable level>?

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
does that mean the memory is actually running faster than the FSB at that point so you would in fact get benefit from faster memory without overclocking

Well, yes and no :) Yes, in that the memory will be running faster than the FSB, but still at it's advertised rate of 400MHz (i.e. not overclocked). This should increase performance a bit (but not as much as, for instance, if you are a gamer, spending the extra cost of the pricier RAM on your graphics card would).

Just to confuse things though, a lot of people on these boards swear by keeping the memory in a 1:1 ratio with the FSB because it gives optimum performance. I have however seen articles that show running at a 2:3 ratio, or a 4:5 ratio has sometimes performed better.

So really it's up to you. Personally I'd get the DDR800, which will possibly be more future proof, if CPUs with a 1600FSB are released (as Intel has promised) within the next few years. Also, I know you said you don't want to overclock, but DDR800 would give you that headroom for if you ever wanted to in the future. A mild overclock will only shorten your CPUs life by a year or two, in fact that chip can OC a bit without shortening it's life at all. I have mine at 3.4GHz with only a 0.5v increase, and my temperatures under load are still within Intel's specified limits.

Hope it works out though whatever you decide. :)

CannedTurkey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I'm not sure where you're shopping, but in a lot of cases you can find the PC2-6400 cheaper than the slower speed memory. (It seems to be a sweet spot in price right now)