for the newb,s kinda?

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, I saw that, too, and thought it was a good piece of advice. Not just the nOObs; it is spring (-cleaning) after all.

Under the theme "the cobbler's kids are all bare-footed," I always clean out everyone else's computers when they bring them to me for fixing, but never pay much attention to mine.

Last week, I had a server go down because the cpu fan was so clogged with dust, the fan stopped spinning and the thing went hyper-thermic within moments. It had that same smell as when you turn on the furnace at the beginning of winter -- you know, burning dust! :oops: Saved the server, but the cpu was a meltdown. (No, there was no thermal protection in the bios -- older server board. Duh.) With all the hairballs and dust, you'd thought some animal was living in there.

Thanks for having the awareness to share. MM

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
especially when it comes to my automobile.

i work on cars for a living which = i hate working on cars :p
LOL, that comes under the theme: "never make your avocation your vocation." Advice I've also ignored.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Definately good advice. I do it once in the spring and once in the fall. Except I pull the cover off the power supply and spray the dust out, pull the fans out and clean the blades off. Espically on the processor, a lot of dust gets betweent he heatsink and the processor. The funny thing is that my computer is on my desk in a house with no carpet. Dust gets ya no matter what.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Definately good advice. I do it once in the spring and once in the fall. Except I pull the cover off the power supply and spray the dust out, pull the fans out and clean the blades off. Espically on the processor, a lot of dust gets betweent he heatsink and the processor. The funny thing is that my computer is on my desk in a house with no carpet. Dust gets ya no matter what.

yeah! you cant get away from it. :lol:

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Thanks for the link.

I do it every now and then, or I used to, until I did my hectic wire management and now I don't feel like taking it all out so I have to do the wires again...yeah I'm lazy but I'll prolly do it when I can see the dust inside.

I have dust filters everywhere so the dust is minimised but still getting through.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Some good points here...

I'll add one tip for LCD's and CRT's.. I use a 50% mixture of isopropanyl alcohol and water (a mixture that is approved by both Dell and Sony...) and a piece of old, well used cloth baby diaper. (cleaned, of course)

Works wonders. Also good for KB keytops, laminated formica-like surfaces...

For KB itself, I have a hobby-sized air compressor and just blow it out well. Also works well on fans, PSU, MB, etc. (be careful of water vapour, best done on a day with low humidity)