Sorry to ask again, but, please help (windows problems)!

GregoryHamil

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
I fixed the hardware problems (the heatsink clip was loose), and it POSTs (thanks alcattle and that other guy for the advice!). For some reason now I'm having trouble installing Windows. It's a Corporate Edition of XP 64 bit given to me by a friend. The computer keeps turning itself off around (but not exactly) 7 minutes into trying to install windows. I got the same results from another copy of XP 64 bit. I successfully installed a copy of XP home edition and managed to complete it, but it's really laggy. CPU usage is very low but it takes a really long time to draw windows and bring up menus, making it practically useless and very frustrating.

My specifications:
C2D E4300
2 Seagate 160 GB drives (not in RAID [I can't figure this out either, I'll get to it later])
HIS x1950 Pro
Gigabyte 965p - DS3 v2
Crucial Ballistix 2x512MB (667 MHz)
FSP 500w

I also noticed an error that appeared once or twice just after Windows had started, saying "could not open e38581.dll" (I think that was the filename).

Thanks!

4745454b

Titan
If it shuts off, your having a heat or voltage problem. (possibly both.) To test for heat, leave the side off and a house fan pointed at the inside of your computer. For voltage, grab a voltmeter or use a program that can check your rails. 10% variance is max, but I'd shoot for no more then 5%. (ie, the 12V rail should be between 11.4-12.6)

If both of these come up good, then I'd start looking at other parts like your ram or harddrive.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
You can try a few things. I will mention two. One, try installing with one stick of ram, alternate if you run into an error. Second, make sure your ram voltages are correct. Smells like a ram issue to me. I thought the allendale werent 64 bit? Am I wrong?

EDIT: E4300 allendale does NOT support 64 bit computing. You will not be able to run windows 64 bit edition. Run a regular version of windows, if you run into the same problem, do what i recommended.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
You are still describing at least 3 problems. First forget about XP 64 and concentrate on getting Home to work. OK, If the RAID is not running, what are you loading XP onto? Xp Home is installed, did you upgrade to the latest ATI drivers. Also all the other drivers for the system, MB, Keyboard, What network are you using? Lone system, router, modem, wireless?

GregoryHamil

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
okay i installed home and i'm running at a low resolution, it seems stable

however, it doesn't seem to be recognising my video card as pci express, rather as pci.

I have installed all the drivers for the video card and the board.

Arimoto

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
May need to check your video card if Windows is not picking it up.

1) reseat the x1950

2) check the power plug. Some video card requires additional power plugged directly onto the card.

3) uninstall all previous driver, download from ATI the latest driver, then install a fresh copy.

P.S. if 1&2&3 fails, swap in another video card and test.