please help... c2d e6400 or opteron 180

jduval

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
im planning to build a new rig which i will be using as a webserver.

i cant decide which of these two i will buy.

any tips/recommendations?
thanks

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, but I have an Opteron 170. I noticed on SiSoft benchmarks the intercore efficiency (pressumably, how well the cores communicate) for the opteron is much lower. What this translates into . . . don't know. I love my Opteron, but I don't have it in a server.

jduval

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
thanks for the reply

it will just be a basic webserver that will transcode mp3's on-the-fly and an online photoalbum.
the mp3's are 128kbps-320kbps and are transcoded/resampled down to 64kbps when they are played

i also do video conversions too but not everytime

endyen

Splendid
If the server is handling multipe transactions, and is using a lot of memory, the opteron may be marginally better.
Other than that, the e6400 would be the way to go.

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
i've already checked that site but there is no opteron there

Than the opt 180 will suck even worse.
E6400 will blow it out of the water due to it's efficiency, 2 cores will allow it to do multiple task at once.

RichPLS

Champion
Actually, the FX is an Opteron...
ex.: Opteron 185 is exactly an FX-60...
So benchmarks are the same...

IMO, any of the C2D chips would perform better, draw less power, produce less heat, and even save a few dollars in the initial purchase too, not to mention getting new tech with upgradability and a huge overclock potential if desired...

jduval

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
E6400 will blow it out of the water due to it's efficiency, 2 cores will allow it to do multiple task at once.

are those opty 180's not dual cores?

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

are those opty 180's not dual cores?

What RichPls said is correct.

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

It will NOT "blow it out of the water" as you put it.

[edit]

Removed text due to it likely being too contentious!

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

I'd suggest checking your registry and ensure that fanboy is turned off before misleading members asking advice. Try again. It will NOT "blow it out of the water" as you put it. In fact they will perform very similar, and for a server, the 180 is actually a better choice although a few dollars more expensive. Unless you count the motherboard as part of the expense.

It is a better chip, nothing misleading about that. You must have an Opty and you must be regretting life.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Do an Opteron 170 :D

I have this processor and It OC's like a dream !!!
I have one running @ 3.14 Ghz. Idle temp is 34*c Full load is 42*c :D
ANother reason why to get an opteron cpu is that it uses the same grade quality of Silicone as the fx series cpu, ANd its dirt cheap. Defietly recommend it to anyone who is willing to OC :wink:

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
our most effective option is the 165 or 170 opterons. They are dirt cheap. $155 for the 165 and $200+ for the 170. At 2.47ghz my 165 meets the FX-60 at 2.6 ghz which is equal to the 185. Now unless you intend to rip MP3's while you play battelfield 2 there is no particular point to the dual cores. In the newest genration of supercomputers we are buying single cores with accelerator chips. For example the Opteorn 144 with the IBM Cell chip is 1.25 times faster than the fastest Kentsfield quadcore before the Kentsfield hits the market. In 64 bit that difference will be more like 1.8 times as fast. When Cell+ gets here the differences will double to 2.5 and 3.6 times faster. ATI has done a project with Stanford Medical School to split a pair of graphics cards in Croosfire and use one as a floating point accelerator. It is 5 times faster than Kentsfield. NVidia is working on the same thing for AMD chipsets. Due to the design and absence of Integrated Memory Control it won't happen on Intel any time soon.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
There is no point in going with the AM2 cuz AMD is on the verge of releasing the AM3, as for socket 775, might as well wait for AMD's 4x4 series mobo.
Save up some money to get a demon machine once it becomes available :wink:

jduval

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
There is no point in going with the AM2 cuz AMD is on the verge of releasing the AM3, as for socket 775, might as well wait for AMD's 4x4 series mobo.

thanks sir.
if i wait for the socket am3 or 4x4, they sure will be very expensive that i have to wait again for the prices to come down. by that time, there will be new procs again.

so i have to make the most out of the current technology today and get the best bang for my buck.

edit:
i will not be spending a single cent. my cousin will buy it as a gift for me :D

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

thanks sir.
if i wait for the socket am3 or 4x4, they sure will be very expensive that i have to wait again for the prices to come down. by that time, there will be new procs again.

so i have to make the most out of the current technology today and get the best bang for my buck

Well, neither one of those are the best bang for your buck. The current leader in that division, is a 3600 Brisbane.

RichPLS

Champion

Come on, I hope no one is waiting for a 4x4, that would be dumb compared with what Intel is shipping, not to mention what maturity level 65nm has shown, and will have 45nm chips out sooner than AMD even releases to production the ghostchips from never never land.

I am quite pleased with my switch from an Opteron 175 OC'd to 2.6GHz, and never realized the performance swap was so drastic, not to mention how easy it is to get a 33% overclock from a dual core chip, at stock voltage and on air, my temps are under 59C max load using TAT... max load using Orthos pushes my 3.2GHz E6600 only to 55C.

jduval

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007

thanks sir.

so i have to make the most out of the current technology today and get the best bang for my buck

Well, neither one of those are the best bang for your buck. The current leader in that division, is a 3600 Brisbane.

3600 Brisbane? is that an athlon64?

jduval

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Yes it is a X2 athlon 64.

will it be better than those two procs i mentioned?

btw, my cousin will be buying it for me as a gift.
he will be the one spending. i checked the prices of those two procs and they are almost same price and my cousin told me which one to get at that price range.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
The E6400 is faster, more energy efficient, dissipates less heat, overclocks much more and can be upgraded with much faster dualcore and quadcore CPUs when needed latter. It is better than the Opteron 180 in every aspect and it is the way to go.