Wow! TAT stresses more than Orthos!

RichPLS

Champion
I have an E6600 running at 8x 400mem for a core speed of 3.2GHz at a 1:1 that was running stable at 1.4 volts on air under 53C using Orthos and SuperPi to 16mil
But TAT, Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool for the mobile Core CPU's has a stress test that bluescreened my PC for the first time...
I had to up the vcore CPU to 1.47volts, and the memory from 2.1volts to 2.25volts, now it runs TAT stable at 3.2GHz for 10 min interval at max load, but now temp is reaching 60C.

I believe that Intel specs call for a TDP of 65C, but the same strained silicon of the C2D is well proven with Netburst to withstand temps up to 80C, and suspect that the 65watt is being cautious...

What say ye?

endyen

Splendid
Hey Rich, have you heard from mozz lately?
I would mostly agree that intel is being cautious, but remember, you are dealing with a lot shorter pipeline. I'd think that 70c would still be safe.

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
Yes, TAT is the ultimate power virus for the Core 2 processors, it's designed to maximize power consumption. It gets significantly hotter than Orthos/Prime95, which already gets hotter than most real-world software.

I believe that Intel specs call for a TDP of 65C, but the same strained silicon of the C2D is well proven with Netburst to withstand temps up to 80C, and suspect that the 65watt is being cautious...
The TDP is 65W, which is what Intel wants the manufacturers to provide minimum cooling for. Intel has a TCase temperature of around 61C for its Core 2 Duo processors, but this is the temperature at the top-center of the IHS, which isn't easy to measure. TAT measures the temperature from the new digital sensor found in the latest Intel processors. This sensors gives how many degrees the core is cooler than the throttling point. In general, TAT uses an 85C temperature point for throttling (TJunction) and the temperature readings are based off that figure.

So if TAT says you are at 60C, then you have about 25C of headroom left before the core begins to throttle. If the core throttles, TAT will also indicate it. And if TAT can only reach 60C, most software will probably be in the range of 50C-55C.

mrmez

Splendid
word

Even though under Task manager orthos/prime will apparently use 100% cpu... they actually only use around 88% (as far as i remember)
TAT is the only app that is guarateeed to smash intel chips to 100%
Same happened to me, orthos stable all day... tat smashed it in a minute :lol: :lol: :lol: nothing a little voltage didnt cure.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
First of all, where have you been? :)
TAT is always showing +10'C compared to BIOS and Gigabyte EasyTune5 utility. What is interesting, is that the one core is at 2 or 3 degrees hotter than the other... :?
At 3.2GHz(8x400) @1.45v my C2D is reaching CPU0: 66 'C/CPU1: 63'C after 10 mins.
I am using Asus Silent SQUARE cooler. So, your temperatures are COOL for me :)

Latest posts