Changing CD key without reinstall

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 1, 2004 2:21:09 PM

My company purchased a number of refurbished machines
that came with Win2k preinstalled. However, all the
machines have the same cd key. We have puchased
additional OEM licences to bring the machines into
compliance. The question is... Can I update the CD key
in registry without having to reinstall the OS??

Thanks in advance,
steve

More about : changing key reinstall

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 10:53:20 PM

No I don't think it's possible. As long as you have the license I wouldn't
worry about it.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"steve" wrote:
| My company purchased a number of refurbished machines
| that came with Win2k preinstalled. However, all the
| machines have the same cd key. We have puchased
| additional OEM licences to bring the machines into
| compliance. The question is... Can I update the CD key
| in registry without having to reinstall the OS??
|

| Thanks in advance,
| steve

June 18, 2004 10:26:28 AM

Yep. Just sysprep the box and use the new serial number(s)
in the

[UserData]
ProductID=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

section. I've done it many times.

Craig

July 27, 2004 12:54:16 AM

Craig,

What if you have different Product Keys for each Windows 2000 pro? I am trying to use Norton Ghost 8.0 Corp Edition and made a successful image of a Windows 2000 pro machine. I had Ghost run the sysprep tool before the image. Now, when I go to the client I created the image from, the client has rebooted and waiting for me to enter a Product Key. I use the product key that is on the desktop COA tag but Windows mini-setup does not like that key. Plus, why do I have to rerun setup on a client machine that I have already setup? I don't get it.

Chris