Win 2k3 server and WinNT server on same network

mark

Can you have a Windows 2003 Server on the same network
with Active Directory with a Windows NT server? Someone
told me that this setup would cause problems and is not
recommended by Microsoft. Have you heard of such a thing?

Considering the fact that one of MS's suggested ways to move from NT 4.0 to
Win 2k or Win 2k3 is to migrate. To migrate requires you set up your Win 2k/
Win 2k3 domain "side by side" on the same wire and use MS's ADMT to move
users from one domain to the other.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can you have a Windows 2003 Server on the same network
> with Active Directory with a Windows NT server? Someone
> told me that this setup would cause problems and is not
> recommended by Microsoft. Have you heard of such a thing?

No problem, provided the NT machine is on SP3 or greater, I believe. I
should hope that any NT4 servers out there are considerably more up to date
than that.

Regards

Oli

"Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can you have a Windows 2003 Server on the same network
> with Active Directory with a Windows NT server? Someone
> told me that this setup would cause problems and is not
> recommended by Microsoft. Have you heard of such a thing?

Do you mean two different domain on the same segment with different domain
names? If so then this is perfectly fine and it doesn't matter what service
pack anyone is running. Not sure what your asking really as you have to be a
little more specific about what you are doing.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+