John_Ryan07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
Im set up on a home network with about 9 computers. My comuter isnt the one with the router and stuff. i've tried to acces it through 192.169.2.1:88 on all comps but to no avail. i've figured out how to disable a firewall on winxp but i need to know how to set just my computer outside the firewall so i can dl faster and make servers. i have bellsouth dsl and a linksys router. any help would be great thanks a bunch

riser

Illustrious
Wasting your time. You're thinking that if you put your computer in the DMZ you'll get faster connection speeds. You won't for what you're trying to do because it will still pass through the router, and the router probably doesn't have a major effect on your downloading.
You're DSL is more than likely capped at 128kb upload to keep you from hosting servers anyhow.

Anyhow, if you still want to try it, open internet explorer and type:
Http://192.168.1.1 (default unless otherwise changed) and you'll need to know your password (no username) and under the advanced tab, you'll see DMZ. Enter the IP address of your computer there. You'll probably want to make your computer a static IP address also it keep it in the DMZ.

But it won't do you any good anyhow.. :)

Riser

John_Ryan07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
ok i figured it out now i just gotta let the torrent sit and see if it goes fast

What i really want is to be able to dl faster. i'm currently downloading a 9gb bit torrent file that has been going at aprox. 1 - 12kb for the last 2 1/2 weeks, with only 3.2gbs dled, when my friend who has a similiar set up (has dsl and is on a network and uses a router, put himself outside of his firewall so he could dl faster) dl at max speed (150kb/s) and finished the same 9gb file in 1/2 - 1day. The 1kb dl speed is painfully slow and i just got a 250gb hd that i want to have fun filling up. thanks a bunch for the reply! any help would be awsome, thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by john_ryan07 on 12/14/03 04:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

riser

Illustrious
on your computer go to start - run - type cmd - type ipconfig and it should list your computer's IP.
Your router will have the IP of 192.168.1.1 unless it was changed by whoever set it up.
It will have DHCP on and give out another IP to each other computer, none of which should have the same ID because it would cause a conflict and not work altogether.
Now, as for the 1kb download, you're under speeds of a 56k modem. Your router could be the problem, but if you want to put it in the DMZ you'll have to put the last digit in.
So if you ip is 192.168.1.8, you would put 8 in because the router will already associate the 192.168.1.x being there.
give that a should but that shouldn't effect your downloading speed to the degree you're having. What kind of linksys router do you have?
Are you using Internet Connection Sharing or do you have network cables running from each computer to your router?

Riser

John_Ryan07

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2003
well i went to the dmz after i found out my ip like you said and now i'm getting a stable 55kb/s in torrent, it seems to be working pretty well, seeing as how i dled 1.4gb in about 7 hours. seriosuly thanks for your help, before your post i spent like an hour trying to find out what the username and password was, then when you told me there wasnt a username i found it out on my first try.

And yeah we have a cabes running from the router to an outler in each room, and then in my room i have it runing through a switch that connect 3 and sometimes 4 computers, in my room. Thanks again

riser

Illustrious
you may want to bypass that switch in your room when downloading large files because it will cause slower speed if the other ones are doing anything over the network. Other than that you should be good.

Riser

TRENDING THREADS