Sync on two computers?

June 8, 2005 2:15:00 AM

With my current Handspring Visor, I can sync to 2 computers (I actually
just backup on the second computer, not enter any data to upload to the
PDA). This helps me keep my home computer up to date with my work computer.

With the PocketPCs is this still possible? I'm likely to buy either a
high-end Axim or iPAQ and would appreciate hearing about people's
experience with this.

--Susan G

More about : sync computers

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:15:01 AM

yep... two is possible and two is the limit at any one point... for
example, if you sync home and office, you can easily drop office and
sync to a laptop when traveling.

Think email sync is limited to one computer now.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:48:29 AM

Beverly,

Thanks for the info. The two-computers option is good for me. That
answer raises more questions.

What does e-mail sync actually do? Move messages picked up by the PPC
to the computer or both ways? If the latter, can I disable it? Or can
I leave messages on the server (which is how I handle the home
computer)? I use Mozilla and don't really care to change e-mail programs.

I'm also assuming that using WiFi I'll be able to access Internet-based
e-mail that doesn't download. Or not? What about sites with SSL?

--Susan G

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
> yep... two is possible and two is the limit at any one point... for
> example, if you sync home and office, you can easily drop office and
> sync to a laptop when traveling.
>
> Think email sync is limited to one computer now.

June 8, 2005 1:33:32 PM

Email sync in the PPC syncs two folders of the device with two folders of
the computer: the Inbox and the Outbox. Inbox will sync received messages
from the computer to the device, Outbox will sync messages that need to be
sent from the device to the computer.

Please note that any other folders, or even sub-folders of these two, will
not be sync'ed.

--
Helio Diamant
MS-MVP/Mobile Devices

"Susan Gawarecki" <locREMOVE@icx.net> wrote in message
> Beverly,
>
> Thanks for the info. The two-computers option is good for me. That
> answer raises more questions.
>
> What does e-mail sync actually do? Move messages picked up by the PPC to
> the computer or both ways? If the latter, can I disable it? Or can I
> leave messages on the server (which is how I handle the home computer)? I
> use Mozilla and don't really care to change e-mail programs.
>
> I'm also assuming that using WiFi I'll be able to access Internet-based
> e-mail that doesn't download. Or not? What about sites with SSL?
>
> --Susan G
>
> Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
>> yep... two is possible and two is the limit at any one point... for
>> example, if you sync home and office, you can easily drop office and sync
>> to a laptop when traveling.
>>
>> Think email sync is limited to one computer now.
>>
>> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:28:19 PM

to expand on Helio's post, email can be "synced" or accessed directly
using a mobile internet connection directly to a pop3 or imap mail server.

Sync email is valuable for those who have no mobile email connection or
those who want to process emails previously downloaded to the sync pc's
outlook email client.

Your setup and email access directly to and from email servers when
mobile is completely unaffected by by email that is received via the
activesync process.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!