n, g, what?

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
im getting a laptop for my dad, one thing im quite clueless about is wireless networking. Id like ot set it up so my cable goes into the router, and it can do wireless to the laptop im buying and still do a regular corded hookup to my dads desktop. Is that an option with wireless routers?

the main thing im confused about is the whole, g, n, designation. It seems like the N is the new setup or something and is suposed to be better, better range, ect. I do plan on borrowing it for warcraft upstairs which is a pretty decent distance from the cable input. Im looking at the dell xps m1710 and they offer an upgrade to a card that supports the N series. is it worth it or should i just stick with the older proven tech of the g's?

also the router i was looking at was the WRT300N from linksys.. is that a decent one, and willl it let me mix wired and wirless hookups? the website doesn't have that much info on it

G

All wireless routers also have at least 4 wired ports as well. Forgot about N routers. Go with any good G router since it's still way faster then your Internet connection.

Grumpy

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
hrm but the little info i read on it sugested the N's have better range and stuff. since i'll be using it through a lot of walls and a good distance from the input source i thought that would be something worth getting. Is the G better right now because its been out for a while with the bugs worked out or something?

G

The range of a good G router is 300-400' depending the building. Do you need more range then that?

Grumpy

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
thats actually right around what i'll need, probably a good 300 feet or so. The main thing is all the walls in the way and the fact that the kitchen is right below my room. I read that the N's work better through walls and dont get as much interference from microwaves and the like

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
a/b/g are standards; all manufacturers equipment is compatible.

n is not (yet) a standard. The draft n specification has major problems, primariliy with interference. It does not work and play well with others (meaning g and b).

802.11n does offer the promise of much higher throughput and higher range. However, current pre-n and MIMO products are not upgradeable to the final n standard, and it is very iffy that any of the current draft-n products will be, either.

The Dell option is draft-n. They do not promise upgradeability, so you can assume it will not be upgradeable to the final standard. Also, their promises of increase range, etc., are always in the context of proprietary implementations ("when used with Draft 11n routers with Intensi-fi™ technology").

Coupled with the general marketing hype (over promising and under delivering) of wireless networking products, there is no guarantee that even if you fork over the cash you will see the results promised.

But, I guess someone willing to spend $2500+ on a 2GHz Duo PC is not too worried about value for money. :wink:

Caveat emptor, and make your choice.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
hrm maybe i should just stick with the g then. The N doesn't really cost that much more i just thought it would work better, if your saying its not even the final version yet though then maybe going for a good g would be a better idea

is linksys pretty good? i was looking at this one then if im not getting the n one. basically i need it to goto 2 wireless laptops (mine and my fathers that i'll be buying) and one or 2 wired pc's, and possibly my xbox

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=200139&product_code=299891&Pn=Wireless_G_Broadband_Router

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Linksys lost some of their rep for making good stuff when they tried to block users from flashing the WRT54G router with "enhanced" firmware. Basically, they replaced their Linux-based device with a device based on another OS (I can't remember which one... ThreadX maybe? VxWorks?... doesn't matter...) and reduced the amount of RAM. My guess is it was the reduction in RAM that caused the performance issues, not the change away from Linux.

Nonetheless, there was such a hue and cry they relented and released a WRT54GL that is, again, based on Linux.

Many on this board presently prefer D-Link routers. But, if you can find the WRT54GL, it is supposed to be good. I doubt CompUSA is selling the "L" version, though.

Check out this review of the WRT54G on Small Net Builder.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
hrm sounds kinda iffy. Ya i think most of the ones in stores are going to be the G's not the GL's. although my father was actually looking at fry's a second ago and he says that they have a GS, whats that one do? i see it on their website as well

any sugestion on what to get then? for me its gonna be used mostly for gaming so i dont want something thats gonna be disconecting or have a high latency. I would need it to do 2 wireless hookups for now, possibly a 3rd or 4th down the road, and one or 2 wired connections

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
The GS is, I believe, the one that is so heavily criticized.

I'm not a gamer, so perhaps someone who is will reply with a recommendation.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
ya the GS looks pretty decent. Fry's had the GS GL and G. The stuff you linked to makes it seem like the G's are actually weaker than the original model, which the GL was released to placate the people who were complainging. Does the GL actually work better than the G if your not gonna be hacking it though?

any gamers with sugestions im listening, tnx for your help

aias

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
If your concern is with the speed and the range that you can get with the router, N can give you a better range and speed ..

Linksys has released a new firmware for their wrt300n router. The firmware solves the problems that you're having with this type of router.You can go to their firmware site www.linksys.com/download.

N routers will work with G cards ...

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I have read many post on dell's 11n. And most ended up turning it off. 11g only. This is what dell tech support is telling user that have problem. Remember that the router and client card must be the same mfg for most 11n to even have a chance to work.

Stick with 11g, it will save you a lot of problems. As for range 300' inside a house, is a huge house. Are you sharing between houses, or did you mean 30'. Most 11g routers with high gain antennas will cover a 300' range. I know this is true with Standalong AP's , not sure about combo units.