Adding Floppy Drive :: Internal or USB?

I'd like to add a floppy drive to my newish XP based desktop (which came
without), and am debating whether to put in an internal drive or get an
external USB drive.

Since I don't expect to be using it a lot (mainly to read floppies from
previous systems), I'm leaning toward the USB drive for reasons ranging from
convenience to leaving a free bay for another hard drive, but ...

what would I be missing operating-system-wise by not having an internal
drive, in particular anything related to recovery procedures? Would it make
a difference if the USB external could be made bootable (see thread "USB
Bootable Device" a couple of days ago)?

I have an OEM version of XP Home.

"ggull" <ggullSPAM@NOTrcn.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to add a floppy drive to my newish XP based desktop (which came
> without), and am debating whether to put in an internal drive or get an
> external USB drive.
>
> Since I don't expect to be using it a lot (mainly to read floppies from
> previous systems), I'm leaning toward the USB drive for reasons ranging
> from
> convenience to leaving a free bay for another hard drive, but ...
>
> what would I be missing operating-system-wise by not having an internal
> drive, in particular anything related to recovery procedures? Would it
> make
> a difference if the USB external could be made bootable (see thread "USB
> Bootable Device" a couple of days ago)?
>
> I have an OEM version of XP Home.

If its a DELL pc, you will need a caddy as well (as they are not fitted for
one). Then you will have to drill holes to align the floppy with the hole in
the front (had to do this last week), but at the end of the day, Dell wanted
£25 to fit this when pc was being ordered, I spent £9 on bits and DIY.
USB option is ok, that way you can always move it to another pc ie laptop,
if needed. They cost about £25'ish.

Open up pc to see if there is a fitting first, it's not, not worth the
bother because it might cancel any guarantee you have still running, if you
fit one yourself.
Pete S

"Pete S" <a@a.com> wrote ..
> "ggull" <ggullSPAM@NOTrcn.com> wrote ...
<snip> but ...
> > what would I be missing operating-system-wise by not having an internal
> > drive, in particular anything related to recovery procedures? Would it
> > make
> > a difference if the USB external could be made bootable (see thread "USB
> > Bootable Device" a couple of days ago)?
<snip>
> If its a DELL pc, you will need a caddy as well (as they are not fitted
for
> one). Then you will have to drill holes to align the floppy with the hole
in
> the front (had to do this last week), but at the end of the day, Dell
wanted
> £25 to fit this when pc was being ordered, I spent £9 on bits and DIY.
> USB option is ok, that way you can always move it to another pc ie laptop,
> if needed. They cost about £25'ish.
>
> Open up pc to see if there is a fitting first, it's not, not worth the
> bother because it might cancel any guarantee you have still running, if
you
> fit one yourself.
> Pete S

Thanks for the advice. It's a Gateway, which does appear to have the
fitting (though I'll check again). But the question was really whether
there was a reason software-wise to prefer the internal installation, i.e.
whether it gave some improved functionality. It seems there might be for
some recovery operations. I'll try to rephrase it better and re-post.

Skip1943_61

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I have a dual booting COMPAQ SR5010NX running Windows XP and Windows 7, have 2 Gb System Memory, and Radeon Graphics Card with 1 Gb Memory. I recently purchased a Memorex External Floppy Drive; so far, have had no problems, I did not have to install any drivers, the system took care of any downloads required if there were any needed.

The drive immediately showed [A] Drive as 3 1/2 ich Floppy Drive and so far it is doing what it would do if it were internal. So far no problems, seems to be storing files properly and has really enhanced my system. There are still older programs I have that do require a floppy drive, just happy I got this one. For $39 not too bad. It does hum louder than the other drives but the older floppies were not quiet either. Really pleased with this one so far.

No problems in Windows XP or Windows 7, I DID HOWEVER NOTICE THAT YOU NEED TO [AT LEAST ON MY SYSTEM] HAVE TO PLUG THE USB CONNECTOR DIRECTLY INTO YOUR COMPUTER AND NOT A USB HUB, on my system using a Hub the drive did not show up and the system hung on the start screen or Compaq Logo Screen when computer was turned on. Once plugged into the USB port on the back of the tower, no more problems.