krauza

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I posted this thread originally in the homebuilt section, but think it may be more appropriate for here as I feel it is more likely a CPU issue.

Just upgraded an AMD XP 3400+ to 3500+ to avoid a problem with failed starts/boot cycling secondary to a "failed over clocking" error that kept coming up. I've also noticed something similar with my XP 3000 +, where on loading the OS, it will give an error that says "overclocking failed" and reboot (machine was never overclocked). With the 3000+, it usually does this once, then boots up normally. With 3400+, it started doing it and it got worse to the point that it would just cycle and no longer load the OS.

The mobo is an ASUS A8V delux. The bios recognized the new processor, but the system hangs whenever I tried to load windows. I eventually thought it was some windows problem, so I got a brand new HD and tried a clean install windows XP SP-2, but it hangs during the installation. The system has 1 x 1024 MB DIMM of RAM which worked fine before CPU change.

Prior to opting for the CPU change, we tried to flash the bios to adress the original "Overclock failure" error without improvement. It is possible that there is a problem that resulted from that bios flash - but the BIOS appears to run fine by itself. The BIOS recognizes the processor OK - if that is the case, will clearing the CMOS really change anything. Based on the current BIOS there are no problems with the set up. the problem comes in only when loading an OS (XP PRO SP-2)

from the bios, the processor temp was a little high, but not bad 37C range - I will dbl check to see ifi it heats up when left on.

any advice on troubleshooting this, known problems with these processors, or has anybody else ever had this problem before?

Thanks

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
did u first try to load windows with default settings? did you check the memory see if it correct - latencies, speed and voltage.

you could have a bad bios flash - re-flash to the old bios - load windows then load the new bios (if the bios is not bad then its almost always the memory settings - windows is very sensitive to memory when installing)

the compressed files are uncompressed into the memory

its either a memory problem - or too low of voltage with mobo loading the wrong timings. could be bios issue with your bios version, check asus site -forums bios upgrade could change your memory.

check voltages in bios

ty one stick in slot 3 and get in the menu and manually set everything

manually set all voltages cp nb mem etc

manually set slot speed and turn off any sli memory anything like that

turn off all non essential controls (2nd ary raid)

--------

if its a mem problem - swap sticks to determine - run mem test

-----

usually its never the mobo and never the cpu - swap back cpu's to eliminate that possibility
--------

make one change at a time to find the solution

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The "overclocking failed" message can be triggered by other hardware failures including HDD and RAM errors. It's essentially an OS load failure that is beng reported. With the error report, that board is supposed to reset cmos.

You might want to check the ASUS site and get the latest bios for your board revision and see if that helps. Rev 1.03b was the first bios revision to recognize chips above the 3400+ so make sure yours is at least that new. Of course, memstest is also an excellent idea to rule out memory problems.

Unfortunately, with my A8V Deluxe, the error and problems you're reporting were a precurser to board failure. If the board is less than 3 years old, you may be able get ASUS to send an RMA number - takes about 2 weeks for the replacement to arrive.

Personally, I just replaced the mobo with an inexpensive Foxconn mATX board. The replacement A8V now lives in my closet with the other "unloved toys".