Sufficient power for a 8800GTS system?

P-Stew

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
This is my first home built system and I just want to make sure I've calculated this correctly.

The PSU I have my eye on is the OCZ GameXStream 600w. It has 4 +12v rails at 18A and is rated for 80%+ efficiency so it seems to be just what I'm looking for and at a decent price. My build will include E6300 /w Scythe Ninja, 8800GTS 320MB, 2GB G Skill DDR2 800, 1 320GB Seagate HD, dedicated sound card, and I will be doing a mild OC. I will likely add one, maybe two HDs, in the near future and may upgrade to a GTX further down the road.

First question, is this a solid PSU and will it handle what I currently have?

Second, will this cover me if I do the proposed upgrades? Or should I jump up to the 700w OCZ since it's only 5 bucks more on newegg?

TIA for any and all replies.

P-Stew

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I just made the switch and will probably order tomorrow. I had a feeling I was being overly cautious with the wattage, but I'd figured I would rather be over than under.

egel

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Now you will want a PSU with more power once you get the second video card. For that i would go to the SLI Zone at Nvidias web sight and choose a PSU from there list of compatible PSUs.
He didn't say he was going SLI. Or at least I didn't think he said that:

I will likely add one, maybe two HDs, in the near future and may upgrade to a GTX further down the road.
Sounds like upgrading from a 8800GTS to a GTX, not going SLI. Or have I misunderstood you, MP?

P-Stew

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah, at the moment I'm not planning on SLI, but things may change. I'll hang onto that list though, pretty extensive.

Thanks again for all the advice.