Help, pc won't stop beeping

LiuKang

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
As the topic states, my new rig won't stop beeping.

It's not a system beep either. It's a quiet, random beep that starts immediately and won't stop until the machine is off. It's constant too, and it's driving me crazy.

The only thing I can think of that has changed since the beeping started is my OS. I don't recall anything else changing other than my WinXP install before this noise started, and even then, I can't be sure it started immediately afterwards.

This newb is at a complete loss. My system specs are as follows, any help is appreciated. TIA.

Silverstone TJ09
Silverstone ST85F
eVGA 680i
eVGA 8800gts
e6400
Zalman 9700
2GB Patriot
Raptor X
Samsung DVD/RW

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Are you sure its a beep? I hear high-pitched squeals/squeaks from my PSU from time to time, near the edge of the hearing range.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
to see if it is the onboard speaker making the noise, put your finger over it when you hear this beeping occuring. If the sounds now dulls tremendously, or you can actually feel the pulsations in your finger, then it's the onboard speaker. If you don't hear any changes or feel anything with your finger, it's not the problem.

spet3r

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
To see if its the PC speaker, you could unplug the PC speaker plug from the motherboard. I had a system that wouldn't stop beeping either. Fixed the beeping. Figured out later the motherboard thought it was over heating when it wasn't.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Joe was assuming we all have one of those little builtin speakers. But they are on the right track. first make sure it is a beep from the system. I've had SCSI drives(really old ones) that made a noise discribed as beeping by one person when they accessed.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
It could also be a failing hard drive as some manufact. put a little beeper on their circuit board, esp. if you don't have SMART enabled. Checking might save you a disaster.

LiuKang

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
So I started taking it apart again last night, and it seems that the noise is coming from the power supply :?

wtf? I'm trying to find some info online. I'll fire off an email to Silverstone and see if they have any input. I'll post details as soon as I get them.

spet3r

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Wow, PSU?? Thats a new one. Let us know what you find out.

Haha... Windows 3.1.... I still have a copy of that somewhere. I wonder if any hardware would even run that?

txsizzler

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Naaa... machines today are too "good" for Windows 3.1... they hold their noses up in the air at that OS. Instead, they crash and burn when trying to play "Solitaire" in Vista :roll:

randomizer

Champion
The beeping might be because your cpu fan is spinning "too slow" (as far as the mobo is concerned). You did say that your only change was the OS but the beeping starts immediately and the OS hasnt even loaded then. It must be a hardware/bios issue. Try disabling the fan speed warning in the BIOS (making sure the fan is spinning at its rated speed first!)

EDIT: Didnt see your post about the noise coming from the psu. :oops:

jhalf

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
sounds like you got that "beep virus" Twisted Evil

I heard you have to load Windows 3.1 to get rid of it. Wink

nah Hes pressing to many keys at once... Just get a g15, I think you'll be able to press like 10 keys at a time or something. That should fix it. :p

LiuKang

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
OK, I loaded up a copy of windows 3.1, but the damn thing still makes that annoying sound... I'm really stumped.

:p Ass clowns...

LiuKang

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Seriously though, it stopped last night, but started again this morning...

No beer and no TV make Liu something something

spet3r

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I think the Windows 3.1 thing was a joke. If its the power supply it might be a bad part inside. Try a different power supply

RMalinosky

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I too have the EVGA 680i MB and had the problem of beeping. I solved mine by using a USB keyboard instead of the PS/2 connector.

If you need to use a PS/2 keyboard, use a PS/2 to USB adapter.

Has worked for me for weeks.... (no more "beeps")

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
yeah, the win3.1 thing was a joke, that's why there was a :wink: at the end of the line.

just so I'm clear on this, someone got you with the annoyotron....your PC wasn't beeping?

LiuKang

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
uh... yeah, I realize the 3.1 was a joke - I was just playing along, obviously.

It wasn't the annoy-o-tron, but it was something similar... one of my buddy's got me when I wasn't paying attention. I had taken the PSU apart, and he hid it in there while putting it back together. Got me good...

:oops: