Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a tip for those with the E4300. Be aware that this mod will void your warranty like no ones business especially if you screw it up. Before attempting this, make sure you have the orientation of the chip correct, and you know which pins you are connecting.

This mod will take the E4300 and raise the FSB from 200 to 266 (taking you from a 800MHz to 1066Mhz strap).
success1xz8.jpg

Connecting BSEL1 to VSS as shown in pic increases the strap and thus higher FSB clocks. Use a conductive ink pen to do this.

1. This mod will force the CPU to do 2.4GHz at stock voltage. Thats a 33% overclock, and while most e4300s will cope with this, some may not. Your solution would be to combine this mod with a vCore pin mod. You can find these @ VR-Zone.

2. This mod will make your e4300 run at 1.6GHz under Speedstep rather than 1.2GHz. Not an issue except that the CPU will have also dropped its vCore through the floor here as Intel want the lowest wattage ratings possible.

Alternatively you could perform the BSEL1 to BSEL2 pin mod.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Use a conductive ink pen to do this.

I want to try this so badly now. Would have to buy a new E4300 if I messed it up though.

You you so much for posting this. Hopefully it won't fry the motherboard if I do it, or fail because my powersupply can't give it the power it requires.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
stupid question... but cant you just raise the fsb in bios? :p why mess around with the chip like that heh

My motherboard doesn't support changing the front side bus speed. This modification will be very important to me should I be able to get it to work.

Now that I think about it, might need to lower the RAM speed to make sure when the chip overclock they don't fail on me.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Now that I think about it, might need to lower the RAM speed to make sure when the chip overclock they don't fail on me.

You shouldn't have to lower the ram speed, actually. Since the processor is now recognized as a 2.4 Ghz processor, the ram speed should adjust itself accordingly. Besides, if the ram fails on you, you can always just do a CMOS reset...

Best of Luck

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Come to think of it, that does sound fairly logical. I would be worried if the FSB:RAM divider stayed the same. Don't want the 667 mhz bumping up to 889 mhz. At 533 it would go to 710, which should be acceptable for the most part.

Then again, like you said, the divider would hopefully set itself properly, and all would be well. Having an E6600 for the price of an E4300. That's a pretty tasty deal.

Bosaka

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Non Acetone based nail polish remover will take care of conductive pen traces. I tried messing around with some vold mods on an E6600 that didnt pan out - the remover took it off without a trace.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
So this is essentially a way to overclock any E4300 regardless of what motherboard it is in...?

Gold.

Almost. The photo that dasickninja posted is actually from a very long posting in another forum. The crux of the deal is: some boards, like the crappy ECS boards that Fry's packages in combos with E6300/E4300, will take 200Mhz FSB processor (E4300) and 266Mhz processor (E6300), but will not overclock much due to lack of locks on the AGP/PCI bus. With one of these boards and my E6300, I could overclock about 2-3Mhz before something in the system locked up.

BUT, if you can fool the board into thinking your processor is a 266Mhz FSB cpu rather than a 200MhzFSB CPU (aka E4300), then you can get a 33% overclock without screwing with AGP/PCI or memory overclocking.

Because of the way that this OC can be performed... one in the picture and joefriday's BSEL1 to BSEL2 mod, this is a NON-DESTRUCTIVE LOW RISK overclock. As long as you do everything correctly, you will not destroy your cpu or void your warranty. For example, the BSEL1-BSEL2 trick is (if I remember correctly) to cover BSEL1 pad with scotch tape, and paint a short between BSEL1 and BSEL2, effectively telling the MB "I am a 266MHz FSB processor. If the short doesn't work, pull up tape and do it again until you get it right! The only risk is if you get disoriented around the cpu and short the wrong pins.

I have two crapola MBs ready for E4300s with this mod as soon as they drop in price.

p.s. I believe that the BSEL1-BSEL2 is a better, easier, more correct way of performing this mod.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
So this is essentially a way to overclock any E4300 regardless of what motherboard it is in...?

Gold.

Almost. The photo that dasickninja posted is actually from a very long posting in another forum. The crux of the deal is: some boards, like the crappy ECS boards that Fry's packages in combos with E6300/E4300, will take 200Mhz FSB processor (E4300) and 266Mhz processor (E6300), but will not overclock much due to lack of locks on the AGP/PCI bus. With one of these boards and my E6300, I could overclock about 2-3Mhz before something in the system locked up.

BUT, if you can fool the board into thinking your processor is a 266Mhz FSB cpu rather than a 200MhzFSB CPU (aka E4300), then you can get a 33% overclock without screwing with AGP/PCI or memory overclocking.

Because of the way that this OC can be performed... one in the picture and joefriday's BSEL1 to BSEL2 mod, this is a NON-DESTRUCTIVE LOW RISK overclock. As long as you do everything correctly, you will not destroy your cpu or void your warranty. For example, the BSEL1-BSEL2 trick is (if I remember correctly) to cover BSEL1 pad with scotch tape, and paint a short between BSEL1 and BSEL2, effectively telling the MB "I am a 266MHz FSB processor. If the short doesn't work, pull up tape and do it again until you get it right! The only risk is if you get disoriented around the cpu and short the wrong pins.

I have two crapola MBs ready for E4300s with this mod as soon as they drop in price.

p.s. I believe that the BSEL1-BSEL2 is a better, easier, more correct way of performing this mod.

Yeah, I understood. That's exactly what I was thinking.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
dude didnt you learn in school to use quote marks? is a conductive pen also called a pencil - hehe

Would carbon be conductive enough?

this is a dumb idea - i mean volt modding a video card for more speed is cool - adding a resistor or a pencil line for 10-15% speed i can see but this is dumb why risk this mod? if you need 266 buy a e6300 if you cant overclock buy a new mobo!

$90 for a motherboard, $200 for the chip, $100 for a new copy of Windows. Right... cheap. Or I could just spend $170 for a new processor if I blow this one. Then just sell this one on eBay. :twisted:

not surprising the nijette would rip of another ones idea - but he is young if could be a mistake then again?

dude didnt you learn in school to use quote marks? is a conductive pen also called a pencil - hehe
Rip off? Fock you. I got permission from the person who did this mod. I know him personally.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
In case you didn't know, the E4300 has a higher multiplier, so you get 266 x 9 instead of 266 x 7. Therefore, you get a higher clock speed, meaning better performance all around.

Buying something is not always the answer, there are ways to save money, especially if you don't crap money.

Prozac speaks the truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.