Sign in with
Your question
Closed

E4300 Pin mod

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 12, 2007 4:33:39 PM

Here's a tip for those with the E4300. Be aware that this mod will void your warranty like no ones business especially if you screw it up. Before attempting this, make sure you have the orientation of the chip correct, and you know which pins you are connecting.

This mod will take the E4300 and raise the FSB from 200 to 266 (taking you from a 800MHz to 1066Mhz strap).

Connecting BSEL1 to VSS as shown in pic increases the strap and thus higher FSB clocks. Use a conductive ink pen to do this.

1. This mod will force the CPU to do 2.4GHz at stock voltage. Thats a 33% overclock, and while most e4300s will cope with this, some may not. Your solution would be to combine this mod with a vCore pin mod. You can find these @ VR-Zone.

2. This mod will make your e4300 run at 1.6GHz under Speedstep rather than 1.2GHz. Not an issue except that the CPU will have also dropped its vCore through the floor here as Intel want the lowest wattage ratings possible.

Alternatively you could perform the BSEL1 to BSEL2 pin mod.

More about : e4300 pin mod

March 12, 2007 4:41:54 PM

My only hope is that before attempting this, they at least try to find a pin out for the E series, so they can have a definite understanding of what they are doing.
March 12, 2007 4:42:44 PM

Awesome. Although wouldnt this be a "pad" mod?
Related resources
March 12, 2007 4:44:54 PM

You could say so, but I'm sticking with the classic name.
March 12, 2007 4:55:32 PM

Quote:
Use a conductive ink pen to do this.

I want to try this so badly now. Would have to buy a new E4300 if I messed it up though.

You you so much for posting this. Hopefully it won't fry the motherboard if I do it, or fail because my powersupply can't give it the power it requires.
March 12, 2007 5:02:52 PM

Some Asus boards have had issues identifying the chip, but it wasn't really an issue. Most PSU's and Conroe / Allendale ready boards should be able to support this.
March 12, 2007 5:27:57 PM

stupid question... but cant you just raise the fsb in bios? :p  why mess around with the chip like that heh
March 12, 2007 5:29:23 PM

Well, hopefully there won't be a problem. Think I'll have to give it a try soon. Just need to pick up some thermal paste, and the pen.
March 12, 2007 5:31:21 PM

Quote:
stupid question... but cant you just raise the fsb in bios? :p  why mess around with the chip like that heh

My motherboard doesn't support changing the front side bus speed. This modification will be very important to me should I be able to get it to work.

Now that I think about it, might need to lower the RAM speed to make sure when the chip overclock they don't fail on me.
March 12, 2007 5:35:51 PM

Quote:
Now that I think about it, might need to lower the RAM speed to make sure when the chip overclock they don't fail on me.

You shouldn't have to lower the ram speed, actually. Since the processor is now recognized as a 2.4 Ghz processor, the ram speed should adjust itself accordingly. Besides, if the ram fails on you, you can always just do a CMOS reset...

Best of Luck
March 12, 2007 5:43:41 PM

Come to think of it, that does sound fairly logical. I would be worried if the FSB:RAM divider stayed the same. Don't want the 667 mhz bumping up to 889 mhz. At 533 it would go to 710, which should be acceptable for the most part.

Then again, like you said, the divider would hopefully set itself properly, and all would be well. Having an E6600 for the price of an E4300. That's a pretty tasty deal.
March 12, 2007 5:49:26 PM

Ahhh, crappy dell/whatever bios that dosnt have any options. ok makes a lot more sense now :p  heh
March 12, 2007 5:58:42 PM

Well, I can change RAM speed and timings to a degree. Besides that, not much I can do.

So, yeah, crappy Intel board. Though I prefer budget board. :p 
March 12, 2007 6:03:26 PM

So this is essentially a way to overclock any E4300 regardless of what motherboard it is in...?

Gold.
March 12, 2007 6:06:13 PM

That seems to be the nugget of information DaSickNinja has laid at our feet.
March 12, 2007 7:00:21 PM

I think you took the long way around. It's much easier to just connect BSEL1 to BSEL2.
March 12, 2007 7:39:59 PM

Non Acetone based nail polish remover will take care of conductive pen traces. I tried messing around with some vold mods on an E6600 that didnt pan out - the remover took it off without a trace.
March 12, 2007 7:41:24 PM

Quote:
So this is essentially a way to overclock any E4300 regardless of what motherboard it is in...?

Gold.

Almost. The photo that dasickninja posted is actually from a very long posting in another forum. The crux of the deal is: some boards, like the crappy ECS boards that Fry's packages in combos with E6300/E4300, will take 200Mhz FSB processor (E4300) and 266Mhz processor (E6300), but will not overclock much due to lack of locks on the AGP/PCI bus. With one of these boards and my E6300, I could overclock about 2-3Mhz before something in the system locked up.

BUT, if you can fool the board into thinking your processor is a 266Mhz FSB cpu rather than a 200MhzFSB CPU (aka E4300), then you can get a 33% overclock without screwing with AGP/PCI or memory overclocking.

Because of the way that this OC can be performed... one in the picture and joefriday's BSEL1 to BSEL2 mod, this is a NON-DESTRUCTIVE LOW RISK overclock. As long as you do everything correctly, you will not destroy your cpu or void your warranty. For example, the BSEL1-BSEL2 trick is (if I remember correctly) to cover BSEL1 pad with scotch tape, and paint a short between BSEL1 and BSEL2, effectively telling the MB "I am a 266MHz FSB processor. If the short doesn't work, pull up tape and do it again until you get it right! The only risk is if you get disoriented around the cpu and short the wrong pins.

I have two crapola MBs ready for E4300s with this mod as soon as they drop in price.

p.s. I believe that the BSEL1-BSEL2 is a better, easier, more correct way of performing this mod.
March 12, 2007 8:24:23 PM

Quote:

Gold.

Almost. The photo that dasickninja posted is actually from a very long posting in another forum. The crux of the deal is: some boards, like the crappy ECS boards that Fry's packages in combos with E6300/E4300, will take 200Mhz FSB processor (E4300) and 266Mhz processor (E6300), but will not overclock much due to lack of locks on the AGP/PCI bus. With one of these boards and my E6300, I could overclock about 2-3Mhz before something in the system locked up.

BUT, if you can fool the board into thinking your processor is a 266Mhz FSB cpu rather than a 200MhzFSB CPU (aka E4300), then you can get a 33% overclock without screwing with AGP/PCI or memory overclocking.

Because of the way that this OC can be performed... one in the picture and joefriday's BSEL1 to BSEL2 mod, this is a NON-DESTRUCTIVE LOW RISK overclock. As long as you do everything correctly, you will not destroy your cpu or void your warranty. For example, the BSEL1-BSEL2 trick is (if I remember correctly) to cover BSEL1 pad with scotch tape, and paint a short between BSEL1 and BSEL2, effectively telling the MB "I am a 266MHz FSB processor. If the short doesn't work, pull up tape and do it again until you get it right! The only risk is if you get disoriented around the cpu and short the wrong pins.

I have two crapola MBs ready for E4300s with this mod as soon as they drop in price.

p.s. I believe that the BSEL1-BSEL2 is a better, easier, more correct way of performing this mod.

Yeah, I understood. That's exactly what I was thinking.
March 12, 2007 8:37:20 PM

Correct. This isn't my photo. It's Wusy's. I'm using it via permission, since I don't have an Allendale chip.
March 12, 2007 11:21:43 PM

not surprising the nijette would rip of another ones idea - but he is young if could be a mistake then again?
March 12, 2007 11:35:20 PM

Quote:
dude didnt you learn in school to use quote marks? is a conductive pen also called a pencil - hehe

Would carbon be conductive enough?

Quote:
this is a dumb idea - i mean volt modding a video card for more speed is cool - adding a resistor or a pencil line for 10-15% speed i can see but this is dumb why risk this mod? if you need 266 buy a e6300 if you cant overclock buy a new mobo!

$90 for a motherboard, $200 for the chip, $100 for a new copy of Windows. Right... cheap. Or I could just spend $170 for a new processor if I blow this one. Then just sell this one on eBay. :twisted:
March 12, 2007 11:42:40 PM

Quote:
not surprising the nijette would rip of another ones idea - but he is young if could be a mistake then again?

dude didnt you learn in school to use quote marks? is a conductive pen also called a pencil - hehe

Rip off? Fock you. I got permission from the person who did this mod. I know him personally.
March 12, 2007 11:52:42 PM

DragonSprayer opens his mouth, and gets pwned again.

Congrats DragonSprayer, you did it again!

:lol: 
March 12, 2007 11:59:49 PM

Quote:
In case you didn't know, the E4300 has a higher multiplier, so you get 266 x 9 instead of 266 x 7. Therefore, you get a higher clock speed, meaning better performance all around.

Buying something is not always the answer, there are ways to save money, especially if you don't crap money.

Prozac speaks the truth!
a c 112 à CPUs
March 13, 2007 12:19:05 AM

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Good find. Takes me back the A-XP days.
March 13, 2007 12:34:52 AM

Agreed.. nice find Ninja.

Also found that radio shack has a pen to use:

CircuitWriter Pen

For $6.49
March 13, 2007 1:04:46 AM

I have no reason to take you on. I have credibility, which you lack, and no where did I say that I ever attempted the mod.
March 13, 2007 1:11:40 AM

flaming is bad! enjoy your amd and becarefull shunting chips for your family and friends!
March 13, 2007 1:16:56 AM

Quote:

i came here since i had some time on my hands. then to help people

how does insulting people, and derailing the thread help anyone? not to mention being an over all idiot.
March 13, 2007 1:18:34 AM

I'm a AMD fanboy, yet I posted a guide for people to mod their E4300's? I'm a AMD fanboy yet I was the first here to buy the 3060 Xeon and test it?
March 13, 2007 1:42:27 AM

The people that try this mod need to be aware of a couple of things.

1. This mod will force the CPU to do 2.4GHz at stock voltage. Thats a 33% overclock, and while most e4300s will cope with this, some may not. Your solution would be to combine this mod with a vCore pinmod. You can find these @ VR-Zone.

2. This mod will make your e4300 run at 1.6GHz under speedstep rather than 1.2GHz. Not an issue except that the CPU will have also dropped its vCore through the floor here as Intel want the lowest wattage ratings possible.

I'd highly recommend disabling speedstep if you do this. IMHO it is not compatible with overclocking.
March 13, 2007 1:47:53 AM

Thank you for those disclaimers. :) 
March 13, 2007 1:51:19 AM

Quote:
you have 6000 posts! is that what u mean?

take me on? not sure what u mean! since you like to flame me i thought its only fair to flame you back! sounds like you want to kcik my azz

dude credibility - ask people who buy $6000-$8000 psu's - that i built - they are happy so i am not looking for cred.

i came here since i had some time on my hands. then to help people - then i ran into you "amti-ites " or blindly loyal amd fantics. i dont mind being an intel fan boy.

flaming is bad! enjoy your amd and becarefull shunting chips for your family and friends!
Please stop posting.
March 13, 2007 1:59:36 AM

I should also add that if you do perform a vCore pinmod you should DEFINATELY disable speedstep as the modifications will prevent the CPU from properly signalling its desired voltage when it steps down.

This could result in a really low voltage, causing crashes, or a really high voltage, causing a dead CPU.

If you only perform the FSB pinmod, it will not affect voltages in any way, so dont worry :) 

Even those people that can overclock fine on their mobos should give this a try if they are hitting an overclock celing, as the mobo may be using a 200MHz strap and therefore hitting a chipset FSB wall.
March 13, 2007 2:06:00 AM

And that's what this was intended as, a easy way to raise the strap. Unfortunately, I got accused of plagiarism along the way. :roll:
March 13, 2007 2:12:49 AM

Quote:
I'm a AMD fanboy, yet I posted a guide for people to mod their E4300's? I'm a AMD fanboy yet I was the first here to buy the 3060 Xeon and test it?

I own all Intel products except an Athlon64 3500+ system which I built in the Athlon64 heyday (when he was apparently building tons of P4 systems for some awful reason) and I think he thinks I'm an AMD fanboy, too.

Dragon...we might sound like real dicks right now...but I agree...stop posting if you're just going to spread Intel FUD and nonsensical stuff.
March 13, 2007 2:13:40 AM

Is there any advantage to OC'ing the e4300 to 2.4ghz this way as opposed to using a DS3?

Could it possibly not work if you have value ram which cant take a strong OC?

Planning like many to get an e4300 and DS3 soon.
March 13, 2007 2:24:42 AM

Quote:

this is a dumb idea - i mean volt modding a video card for more speed is cool - adding a resistor or a pencil line for 10-15% speed i can see but this is dumb why risk this mod? if you need 266 buy a e6300 if you cant overclock buy a new mobo!

????? Fry's gives the board away free with the chip. Why is it a dumb idea to do a 33% overclock with an E4300 for free? Of course, it remains to be seen what they will bundle the E4300. But it is almost always an ECS board. And... if you have AGP and/or DDR memory, its a heckuvan upgrade for the price of the chip.
March 13, 2007 2:28:25 AM

I'm not sure if there is over using the mobo itself, and I've never tested this since I don't have a E4300, but I'm sure one of those with more knowledge will speak up.
March 13, 2007 2:28:27 AM

Pfft AMD fanboy? If anything I'd have said Ninja swung slightly the Intel way, but only because I dont like his non-Zero graphs :p 

Whatever Ninja's personal CPU preferences he does a very good job at remainign impartial with regards to recommendations and spending cash on hardware to test it for us. I really wouldnt call him a Fanboy.

Still, its ok Dragon, we know you are just stabbing at the fanboy button because you have no legitimate arguments left :) 

As for plagarism, meh. Wusy doesnt post here anymore and you were sharing your info with the THG forum. This is no more plagarism than a post about some new CPU roadmap on another site imho, especially as you had Wusys permission....

Billdcat4: The advantage of this method is that you force the motherboard to use a 266MHz strap rather than a 200MHz strap. This SHOULD reduce the stress on the chipset while overclocking.

Due to the fact that Intel dont release every detail of their chipset and CPU design, this is more accepted theory backed by alot of evidence, rather than a fully fledged fact. But if you hit a limit with your DS3 and want to go further, this is worth trying. It is a very low risk mod. Some boards have been shown to switch to a higher strap as you increase the FSB anyway, some haven't. Alot of boards only switch to a 333MHz strap at 401MHz FSB for example, leaving an unattainable FSB hole at 380-400MHz or so. The 266-333 version of ths mod has allowed CPUs to post at those speeds.

I'd guess that with a 200MHz strap there will be another FSB hole around 315-333MHz, which may be where you want your overclock to sit. Forcing a 266MHz strap with this mod should solve that.

This can be usefull if the limits of your CPU fall right in one of those FSB holes, like mine which will max at 3.95GHz (albeit with more voltage than I am comfortable with on a day to day basis) with the 266-333 version of this mod.
March 13, 2007 2:38:07 AM

Thnx, Ill be sure to think about trying this mod.

Where could I get a conductive pen? Also what kind of cleaner could I get if I mess up?
March 13, 2007 2:40:02 AM

Grimmy found a nice pen to use in this mod. Its linked in message 29, on this page.
March 13, 2007 4:22:27 AM

Quote:
Pfft AMD fanboy? If anything I'd have said Ninja swung slightly the Intel way, but only because I dont like his non-Zero graphs :p 

Whatever Ninja's personal CPU preferences he does a very good job at remainign impartial with regards to recommendations and spending cash on hardware to test it for us. I really wouldnt call him a Fanboy.

Still, its ok Dragon, we know you are just stabbing at the fanboy button because you have no legitimate arguments left :) 

As for plagarism, meh. Wusy doesnt post here anymore and you were sharing your info with the THG forum. This is no more plagarism than a post about some new CPU roadmap on another site imho, especially as you had Wusys permission....

Billdcat4: The advantage of this method is that you force the motherboard to use a 266MHz strap rather than a 200MHz strap. This SHOULD reduce the stress on the chipset while overclocking.

Due to the fact that Intel dont release every detail of their chipset and CPU design, this is more accepted theory backed by alot of evidence, rather than a fully fledged fact. But if you hit a limit with your DS3 and want to go further, this is worth trying. It is a very low risk mod. Some boards have been shown to switch to a higher strap as you increase the FSB anyway, some haven't. Alot of boards only switch to a 333MHz strap at 401MHz FSB for example, leaving an unattainable FSB hole at 380-400MHz or so. The 266-333 version of ths mod has allowed CPUs to post at those speeds.

I'd guess that with a 200MHz strap there will be another FSB hole around 315-333MHz, which may be where you want your overclock to sit. Forcing a 266MHz strap with this mod should solve that.

This can be usefull if the limits of your CPU fall right in one of those FSB holes, like mine which will max at 3.95GHz (albeit with more voltage than I am comfortable with on a day to day basis) with the 266-333 version of this mod.
Exactly. The idea is to share knowledge/help people, it's not about getting the glory for posting something. Ninja, and Da Clan do reviews and write articles, and post them. Do they do it for money, recognition?..i don't think so. They do it to help their fellow geeks, and help others make good buying or modding decisions. :x DragonSprayer is just jealous that he didn't post it....so his head could swell. :x
March 13, 2007 4:16:25 PM

$7+tax for the pen.
$15+tax for some thermal paste if I can't find some laying about.

So >$30 and on Friday afternoon I'll be giving this modification a chance. Wish me luck!

Quote:
I'd highly recommend disabling speedstep if you do this. IMHO it is not compatible with overclocking.

Umm, would anything bad happen if I couldn't disable speedstep? I keep both cores loaded at pretty much all times, so the only chance of speedstep kicking in would be during boot and when the Windows environment starts to get going.
March 13, 2007 4:28:30 PM

Quote:
Is there any advantage to OC'ing the e4300 to 2.4ghz this way as opposed to using a DS3?

Could it possibly not work if you have value ram which cant take a strong OC?

Planning like many to get an e4300 and DS3 soon.

If you purchase your E4300 with a bundled MB that is incapable of overclocking (i.e. Fry's bundles an ECS board with the E4300 for free just about every other week), then this gives your best overclock for free.

The S3/DS3 is a FAR better solution.
March 13, 2007 4:43:08 PM

Quote:
$15 for thermal paste?

Just budgeting that much for it. :p 

Artic5 probably runs $7 at my local PC shop. But in the extremely unlikly event they've got some of that Esmu Karate (er, whatever that really good stuff is called that starts with an E) stuff and are charging a premium, I'll go with that.

Edit: Checked SpeedStep. Apparently that's off, though I've never changed that setting I can clearly remember it affecting my CPU.
March 13, 2007 5:18:55 PM

You fool!! If you were a true enthusiast you would lap you heatsink till it was mirror smooth, then buy and apply Shin-Etsu X23 thermal paste, make your own phase changer, and build a shrine to me. I tell you. The nerve of noobs today...
March 13, 2007 5:35:55 PM

First off, THANK YOU! I paid $159 for the Frys special with E4300 and ECS Mobo. I did the Mod, and BAM 2.4. My PCMark05 score is much higher on my $159 rig than my Opty 185 @2.8 rig now. Makes me want to cry.

I went into BIOS and raised FSB to 300 and BAM 2.7. Was not stable at stock volts at 2.7 but is a rock at 2.4.

Anyway thanks again for the GOOD info. :D 
!