Solving the user-part on laptops

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

We deploy our MSI packages through AD.

However, when Laptops have programs installed (computer group policies),
some MSI files contain a user-part that require use of the centrally
deployed MSI file at \\server-share. Thus if we deploy some programs
that work if user START the program (initiating self-repair) whilst
connected to our network. Then the program will work, whilst if he
starts the program 1st time at home, it will not find the MSI, and the
self-repair will fail.

Is there a way to override this, and copy down these
userprofile-required files to a temporary folder?

I use the WISE for Windows Installer tool, so any help would greatly
be appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about solving user part laptops
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    There is not a way to override this behavior in GP. You need to strip out
    the per profile items from the installer.

    Brian Desmond
    Windows Server MVP
    desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

    Http://www.briandesmond.com

    "hallstein" <hallstein@online.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We deploy our MSI packages through AD.
    >
    > However, when Laptops have programs installed (computer group policies),
    > some MSI files contain a user-part that require use of the centrally
    > deployed MSI file at \\server-share. Thus if we deploy some programs
    > that work if user START the program (initiating self-repair) whilst
    > connected to our network. Then the program will work, whilst if he
    > starts the program 1st time at home, it will not find the MSI, and the
    > self-repair will fail.
    >
    > Is there a way to override this, and copy down these
    > userprofile-required files to a temporary folder?
    >
    > I use the WISE for Windows Installer tool, so any help would greatly
    > be appreciated.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.msi,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Microsoft should enhance the MSI format to make an option for caching
    the user-part at local station, whilst not caching the entire msi.

    Brian Desmond [MVP] wrote:

    > There is not a way to override this behavior in GP. You need to strip out
    > the per profile items from the installer.

Laptops Microsoft Windows MSI-Microstar