RIS installed machine doesnt have network drivers loaded

I managed to add network drivers to my RIS installation,
and windows complets the installation, however when the
newly installed system comes up, the network drivers are
not loaded. Any ideas what went wrong?
-Dave
7 answers Last reply
More about installed machine doesnt network drivers loaded

    for some reason, windows is not using any of the extra
    pnp drivers from the $oem$\$1\drivers folder even though
    they are all specified in the sif file. the nvidia
    drivers are not being detected/used/copied to the new
    system either

    there must be some explaination.
    -Dave

    Can you post your SIF file, minus product key, organization name and
    passwords?

    Also, where have you placed $oem$ in relation to i386?

    Thanks

    Oli

    "Dave L" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > for some reason, windows is not using any of the extra
    > pnp drivers from the $oem$\$1\drivers folder even though
    > they are all specified in the sif file. the nvidia
    > drivers are not being detected/used/copied to the new
    > system either
    >
    > there must be some explaination.
    > -Dave

    $oem$ is inside the i386 folder

    here is the ristnrd.sif file from i386\templates

    [data]
    floppyless = "1"
    msdosinitiated = "1"
    OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%
    MACHINETYPE%"
    OriTyp = "4"
    LocalSourceOnCD = 1

    [SetupData]
    OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"
    SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%
    \RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

    [Unattended]
    OemPreinstall = yes
    NoWaitAfterTextMode = 0
    FileSystem = LeaveAlone
    ExtendOEMPartition = 0
    ConfirmHardware = no
    NtUpgrade = no
    Win31Upgrade = no
    TargetPath = \WINNT
    OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade = no
    OemSkipEula = yes
    InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%
    MACHINETYPE%"
    OemPnPDriversPath = "drivers\lan;drivers\video"

    [UserData]
    FullName = "."
    OrgName = ""
    ComputerName = %MACHINENAME%

    [GuiUnattended]
    OemSkipWelcome = 1
    OemSkipRegional = 1
    TimeZone = %TIMEZONE%
    AdminPassword = "*"

    [LicenseFilePrintData]
    AutoMode = PerSeat

    [Display]
    ConfigureAtLogon = 0
    BitsPerPel = 8
    XResolution = 640
    YResolution = 480
    VRefresh = 60
    AutoConfirm = 1

    [Networking]
    ProcessPageSections=Yes

    [Identification]
    JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%
    CreateComputerAccountInDomain = No
    DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes

    [NetProtocols]
    MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

    [params.MS_TCPIP]
    ; transport: TC (TCP/IP Protocol)
    InfID=MS_TCPIP
    DHCP=Yes

    [NetClients]
    MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

    [params.MS_MSClient]
    InfID=MS_MSClient

    [NetServices]
    MS_Server=params.MS_Server

    [params.MS_Server]
    ; service: SRV (Server)
    InfID=MS_Server
    BroadcastsToLanman2Clients = No

    [ServicesSection]

    [RemoteInstall]
    Repartition = Yes
    UseWholeDisk = Yes

    [OSChooser]
    Description ="Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro SP4 CD Image"
    Help ="Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro SP4 CD Image"
    LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%
    \templates\startrom.com"
    ImageType =Flat
    Version="5.0"

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Dave

    That's the problem. For RIS and bootable CDs, the $oem$ folder has to go at
    the same level at i386, not beneath it. Your answer file looks fine with
    respect to OEM drivers.

    Hope this helps

    > $oem$ is inside the i386 folder
    >
    > here is the ristnrd.sif file from i386\templates
    >
    > [data]
    > floppyless = "1"
    > msdosinitiated = "1"
    > OriSrc = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%
    > MACHINETYPE%"
    > OriTyp = "4"
    > LocalSourceOnCD = 1
    >
    > [SetupData]
    > OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect"
    > SetupSourceDevice = "\Device\LanmanRedirector\%SERVERNAME%
    > \RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"
    >
    > [Unattended]
    > OemPreinstall = yes
    > NoWaitAfterTextMode = 0
    > FileSystem = LeaveAlone
    > ExtendOEMPartition = 0
    > ConfirmHardware = no
    > NtUpgrade = no
    > Win31Upgrade = no
    > TargetPath = \WINNT
    > OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade = no
    > OemSkipEula = yes
    > InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%
    > MACHINETYPE%"
    > OemPnPDriversPath = "drivers\lan;drivers\video"
    >
    > [UserData]
    > FullName = "."
    > OrgName = ""
    > ComputerName = %MACHINENAME%
    >
    > [GuiUnattended]
    > OemSkipWelcome = 1
    > OemSkipRegional = 1
    > TimeZone = %TIMEZONE%
    > AdminPassword = "*"
    >
    > [LicenseFilePrintData]
    > AutoMode = PerSeat
    >
    > [Display]
    > ConfigureAtLogon = 0
    > BitsPerPel = 8
    > XResolution = 640
    > YResolution = 480
    > VRefresh = 60
    > AutoConfirm = 1
    >
    > [Networking]
    > ProcessPageSections=Yes
    >
    > [Identification]
    > JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%
    > CreateComputerAccountInDomain = No
    > DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes
    >
    > [NetProtocols]
    > MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP
    >
    > [params.MS_TCPIP]
    > ; transport: TC (TCP/IP Protocol)
    > InfID=MS_TCPIP
    > DHCP=Yes
    >
    > [NetClients]
    > MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient
    >
    > [params.MS_MSClient]
    > InfID=MS_MSClient
    >
    > [NetServices]
    > MS_Server=params.MS_Server
    >
    > [params.MS_Server]
    > ; service: SRV (Server)
    > InfID=MS_Server
    > BroadcastsToLanman2Clients = No
    >
    > [ServicesSection]
    >
    > [RemoteInstall]
    > Repartition = Yes
    > UseWholeDisk = Yes
    >
    > [OSChooser]
    > Description ="Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro SP4 CD Image"
    > Help ="Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro SP4 CD Image"
    > LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%
> [...]
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Yep! That did the trick... Now that i look at the
    support sites, i understand my mistake... However, if i
    use the NVIDIA drivers, the installation fails. at least
    the network is working and i can get somewhere.

    Thanks again!

    -Dave

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You're welcome! I'm not sure about the Nvidia drivers.

    Perhaps post again with full details of that one.

    Cheers

    > Yep! That did the trick... Now that i look at the
    > support sites, i understand my mistake... However, if i
    > use the NVIDIA drivers, the installation fails. at least
    > the network is working and i can get somewhere.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > -Dave

    >>> FullName = "."
    >>> OrgName = ""
    >>> ComputerName = %MACHINENAME%
    >>>
    >>> [GuiUnattended]
    >>> OemSkipWelcome = 1
    >>> OemSkipRegional = 1
    >>> TimeZone = %TIMEZONE%
    >>> AdminPassword = "*"
    >>>
    >>> [LicenseFilePrintData]
    >>> AutoMode = PerSeat
    >>>
    >>> [Display]
    >>> ConfigureAtLogon = 0
    >>> BitsPerPel = 8
    >>> XResolution = 640
    >>> YResolution = 480
    >>> VRefresh = 60
    >>> AutoConfirm = 1
    >>>
    >>> [Networking]
    >>> ProcessPageSections=Yes
    >>>
    >>> [Identification]
    >>> JoinDomain = %MACHINEDOMAIN%
    >>> CreateComputerAccountInDomain = No
    >>> DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes
    >>>
    >>> [NetProtocols]
    >>> MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP
    >>>
    >>> [params.MS_TCPIP]
    >>> ; transport: TC (TCP/IP Protocol)
    >>> InfID=MS_TCPIP
    >>> DHCP=Yes
    >>>
    >>> [NetClients]
    >>> MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient
    >>>
    >>> [params.MS_MSClient]
    >>> InfID=MS_MSClient
    >>>
    >>> [NetServices]
    >>> MS_Server=params.MS_Server
    >>>
    >>> [params.MS_Server]
    >>> ; service: SRV (Server)
    >>> InfID=MS_Server
    >>> BroadcastsToLanman2Clients = No
    >>>
    >>> [ServicesSection]
    >>>
    >>> [RemoteInstall]
    >>> Repartition = Yes
    >>> UseWholeDisk = Yes
    >>>
    >>> [OSChooser]
    >>> Description ="Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro SP4 CD Image"
    >>> Help ="Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro SP4 CD Image"
    >>> LaunchFile = "%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%
    >>> \templates\startrom.com"
    >>> ImageType =Flat
    >>> Version="5.0"

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    About the $oem$ folder. there are some conflict in documentation. but i have
    problem with riprep image. If i use flat image everything is ok, but when i
    use riprep image:
    1. oempnppath in *.sif is ignored (dont know why, but if i chechk registry
    after instalation there is no record in place where it shcoud be)
    2. $oem$ is also ignored (nothing is copied to destination computer) the
    $oem$ sturcture i have is the same as in flat image.

Drivers Microsoft Windows