Sign in with
Your question

The Fall of AMD = The fall of PC Gaming? (question)

Last response: in CPUs
March 12, 2007 5:10:08 PM

If AMD falls....

will PC gaming fall with it?

Intel will have no reason to drop prices of its mid to high end with AMD gone and VIA not yet ready to step in.

will HIGH COST pc's after AMD is gone...run all the gamers to the consoles?
March 12, 2007 5:13:11 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

Intel will have no reason to drop prices of its mid to high end with AMD gone and VIA not yet ready to step in.

Dude, you're starting to sound like Sharikou. Please, stop it.
March 12, 2007 5:16:25 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

I have to agree with BM.
Stop with the chicken little, "The sky is falling" crap. AMD isn't going anywhere. Sure, they are in a bit of trouble right now, but that doesn't mean it's a deathnail for them.
Related resources
March 12, 2007 5:18:41 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

just asking a question.... i am dealing in some what if scenarios we all need to be preparing for...

ask the 3dfx zombies.... they said the same things u are saying now.
March 12, 2007 5:20:44 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

just asking a question.... i am dealing in some what if scenarios we all need to be preparing for...

Well, did PC gaming fall when 3dFX disappeared? That should answer your question...
March 12, 2007 5:20:44 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

I have to agree with BM.
Stop with the chicken little, "The sky is falling" crap. AMD isn't going anywhere. Sure, they are in a bit of trouble right now, but that doesn't mean it's a deathnail for them.
+

3DFX bought STB and directly competed with its partners then died

AMD bought ATi and directly competed with nvida then what?
March 12, 2007 5:23:26 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

The reason 3DFX went under is because nVidia had the first 3D card with 2D functions and it wasted the VooDoo 6000(?). They had to exist only on gamer income whereas the Riva128 was a "desktop" card also.
AMD has 25% of the world market. That means that though some bonuses and extra expenditures maybe put off until next year, they will NOT go out of business.

I mean even though they the highest debt to cash ratio, they will also sell more chips than they sold when it was lower. I guess we'll see with their Q1 YoY numbers.
March 12, 2007 5:29:36 PM

ATI sneezes, you declare Bird Flu
AMD farts, you declare Mad Cow
AMD/ATI delays you declare Apocalypse :roll:

In all competition every opponent requires a minute to rest when it starts getting tired, but after it's caught it's breath and it starts the initial jog all over again, you'll get the=

Barcelona and the R600 :D 
March 12, 2007 5:36:18 PM

AMD vs INTEL

is identical to the movie 300

INTEL is the Perseian army

AMD is Sparta

sure Sparta's 300 did well against unspeakable odds

but in the end ...they fell
March 12, 2007 5:43:25 PM

Quote:
AMD vs INTEL

AMD is Sparta

Can I vomit now?
March 12, 2007 5:45:25 PM

Threads like this one make me wish there were two CPU forums, one for meaningless AMD/Intel flamewars like this and one for legit CPU discussions.
March 12, 2007 5:50:07 PM

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.
- Christina Baldwin

From the ashes...We rose
- Movie- We are Marshall
March 12, 2007 5:50:42 PM

Quote:
Threads like this one make me wish there were two CPU forums, one for meaningless AMD/Intel flamewars like this and one for legit CPU discussions.

i was just nominated for AMD FAN boi of the month last month
March 12, 2007 5:51:01 PM

I normaly don't get involved in threads like this. Anyway, just because a company a few years ago did what AMD did and failed doesn't mean that it's going repeat. AMD has differant leadership meaning differant stuff will be happening. Also "IF" AMD falls, intel will be monitored for running a monoploy and over charging their products. I could go on but I'll keep this simple.
March 12, 2007 5:53:22 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

If that unlikely event were to happen, PC gaming would continue on the same path. Supply and demand, as long as their is demand for PC gaming there will be someone who will supply it. As for high cost, I believe if no one else stepped up into intel's realm then yes price would most likely go up.
March 12, 2007 5:56:12 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

Short answer, no.

Long answer, in the advent that AMD does go out of business, and there is no one to pick up the hole left behind, Intel will likely not slow down too much. This recent push of shrinking process would probably not increase much more then three months, as stockholders and consumers would demand improved performance. Prices would likely increase 10-20%.

Would this cause PC Game designers to suddenly stop making games? No. Would this cause video card manufacturers stop making video cards? No. Therefore, no, we will be seeing games continuing for a long time to come, whether or not Intel is the only CPU player around.
March 12, 2007 5:57:45 PM

look man i want ADM to survive too

i own amd RIGHT NOW.... AMD fallin would be horrible

the worst

we lucky we had Ati around ust like we are lucky we have VIA around

back then people said :o hh ATI cant step up:

just like people are saying about via...
March 12, 2007 6:04:38 PM

Quote:

Did you win?
March 12, 2007 6:10:59 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

I will just go back to my pentium 2 400Mhz, play starcraft, half life, red alert, unreal tournament, ahh the good ole days..
March 12, 2007 6:13:14 PM

Quote:
AMD vs INTEL

AMD is Sparta

That's dumb and shortsighted, did you watch to the end of the movie? Sure the greeks are outnumbered 3 to 1, but, those are good odds for a Spartan.
March 12, 2007 6:16:11 PM

Microsoft will have more to do with the demise of pc gaming then Amd or Intel.
March 12, 2007 6:21:56 PM

Quote:
AMD vs INTEL

AMD is Sparta

Ok so I've been watching these forums for quite awhile now....but this post made me have to join, i am by no means a fanboy in either direction but LordPope you do realise that the army the spartans were fighting for actually won the war correct? so essentially your saying that amd is going to lose a battle but win the war. :) 
March 12, 2007 6:31:15 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

I will just go back to my pentium 2 400Mhz, play starcraft, half life, red alert, unreal tournament, ahh the good ole days..

On a slightly different note, both my son and myself have been dissapointed in a lot of the games produced in the past couple years. To some extent, we feel that PC gaming is failing anyway. Too many games come out in less then beta form. I mean, the first thing that happens when we buy a game is to start loading all the patches we can find, and then sometimes find so many bugs that we loose interest and go find something else to do. And then there are the games in which the bugs never get fixed. Starcraft, etc were pretty playable out of the box. Wish there had been a Starcraft 3, similar to Warcraft 3. Though Warcraft 3 had a few things we didn't like, we thought it was fairly good overall. And, after all, Starcraft: Broodwars set a stage for a next episode, one that never got made.
March 12, 2007 6:34:12 PM

The thread is digressing but the question is moot. AMD's not going anywhere but no company is bullet proof. You could also ask, "if Intel went down would that be the end of PC gaming?" and get the same answers. Stupid questions get stupid answers.
March 12, 2007 6:34:49 PM

Quote:
AMD vs INTEL

AMD is Sparta

See my post above:

Quote:
The reason 3DFX went under is because nVidia had the first 3D card with 2D functions and it wasted the VooDoo 6000(?). They had to exist only on gamer income whereas the Riva128 was a "desktop" card also.
March 12, 2007 6:38:15 PM

Quote:
AMD vs INTEL

AMD is Sparta

Ok so I've been watching these forums for quite awhile now....but this post made me have to join, i am by no means a fanboy in either direction but LordPope you do realise that the army the spartans were fighting for actually won the war correct? so essentially your saying that amd is going to lose a battle but win the war. :) 

you are wise.... i was wodnering when someone would pick up on that

i am happy that my horrible evil posts got you to join in ...welcome to the madness
March 12, 2007 6:40:39 PM

Haha, I wasn't sure if thats what you actually meant, so I decided to get my nose into things, But I'm rather glad you haven't gone to the darkside haha, btw i like intel as much as amd but intel is still evil :) 
March 12, 2007 6:46:36 PM

"i am dealing in some what if scenarios we all need to be preparing for..."

What about preparing for an asteroid impact, the return of Michael Jackson, and an attack by robot ninja shark people, perhaps all at the same time? So much to prepare for, so little time.
You do realize that a large portion of humanity is actually concerned about not having clean, safe drinking water, or finding enough to eat, or not having their children die from one of a myriad of preventable diseases because they can't afford or don't have access to the treatments, or just being hacked to death with machetes because they speak a certain language or go to a certain church?
I'm glad you're working on the big answers to the problems of our times.
March 12, 2007 6:47:06 PM

Quote:
AMD vs INTEL

AMD is Sparta

Baron...we all know u are a great man here..and known all over the web for your knowledge on high end pc's

however... on this... you are blind to the facts

VIA is the only hope at this point....

i can read the tea leaves

See my post above:

Quote:
March 12, 2007 6:49:26 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

:arrow: No but they will take ATi with e'm.
March 12, 2007 6:54:15 PM

Quote:
AMD vs INTEL

AMD is Sparta

That's dumb and shortsighted, did you watch to the end of the movie? Sure the greeks are outnumbered 3 to 1, but, those are good odds for a Spartan.

Actually, the Spartans were outnumbered closer to 500 to 1, and they still did serious damage to the invading Persians. Kind of makes you wonder, what if the Spartans had 400 men? As it was, just like the men at the Alamo, their seemingly suicidal action gave time for the rest of the Greeks to get organized and win the war.
March 12, 2007 6:58:47 PM

heres the deal, bak in the p4 era before amd came out with ath 64bit line, they were in a worse position then now, money is being spent? no kidding because they are on the verge of new release all their money is going into their produicts, woudl u rather them sit on their ass with money and release their new line later?

the part where the 300(with the other 400 thespians) is already done when c2d came out steam rolling the amd64 bit line

i doubt they will win the war, but they will climb to around 50 percent because intel is getting smart about not being retarded with their processors and now with c2d as their full line of procs, they can get rid of the netburst memories
March 12, 2007 6:59:05 PM

Quote:

Did you win?

No one wins fanboi of the month. They tried to declare a winner a few years' back, but it got ugly. Basically, it got down to a couple of people, but when they announced the results of the head-to-head, the end result was disputed and everyone called each other 'fanbois'. In the end, they had to invite Jeb Bush in to settle it impartially...
March 12, 2007 7:01:02 PM

Please stop.
March 12, 2007 7:03:33 PM

Quote:
If AMD falls....

What makes you think PC gaming won't fall even WITH AMD alive?

Price out a Q6700 system with two 8800GTX's. Is that reasonable for an everyday computer? Is it price competitive with any console out there? Maybe both AMD and ATI aren't competitive, and you see high prices already?

Better question: is PC gaming defined by exotic top-end computers, or can budget systems adequately participate?

Someone was right in this thread that it has to do with software developers, but they would be wrong if they presumed developers would all pick one route. On the one hand, if you cater to exotic machines you'll have the upper hand in visuals and stimulate the hardware market looking forward. On the other, if you cater to everyday machines you'll have to focus on good gameplay to compete, but your starting consumer base becomes much larger.

AMD falling would hardly impact our perception of the gaming market.
March 12, 2007 7:03:41 PM

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. AMD 'falling' would probably mean filing for bankruptcy, reorganizing some and continuing with business as usual. It isn't like the fabs are suddenly going to disappear. Worst case would be Intel getting a short period of relative exclusivity while some other company got into the desktop processor making business again. Intel would probably use that period to make a little extra money after this recent period of low margins, but there are too many hardware engineers and companies with the know how for Intel to go crazy. If they got lazy and rocketed prices upward, they'd have their legs cut out from under them.

Some of you people act like AMD is the only thing keeping Intel from taking back all their C2Ds and forcing you to buy Prescotts for $999.
March 12, 2007 7:05:05 PM

Quote:
"i am dealing in some what if scenarios we all need to be preparing for..."

What about preparing for an asteroid impact, the return of Michael Jackson, and an attack by robot ninja shark people, perhaps all at the same time? So much to prepare for, so little time.
You do realize that a large portion of humanity is actually concerned about not having clean, safe drinking water, or finding enough to eat, or not having their children die from one of a myriad of preventable diseases because they can't afford or don't have access to the treatments, or just being hacked to death with machetes because they speak a certain language or go to a certain church?
I'm glad you're working on the big answers to the problems of our times.

look ANGELINA JOLIE.... this is a hardcore hardware forum

you want to discuss issues that concern the world outsie of computers...go seek that forum and speak on it

ok sparky
March 12, 2007 7:14:35 PM

Actually, I'd rather read a thread that deals with hardware or software problems or information, not yet another useless, hypothetical thread devised by a peanut.
March 12, 2007 7:16:30 PM

I think the point may very well be that there comes a point where it's not even worth considering a hypothetical. You're giving this issue some really shriekish urgency that's winding people up. I don't like people telling you to shut up or stop, but you do have to admit that you've brought this topic up elsewhere (I think it got locked) and you haven't taken any of the points onboard. Namely:
1. The FABs will still be there.
2. The brand is worth a lot in itself.
3. Their new chips look pretty exciting all in all.
4. It's not in Intel's interest to screw them over (for the same reason that Microsoft needs Apple). The signs are that Intel are trying to claw back some of their lost market, but not obliterate AMD (but this is obviously open to interpretation).
5. Their current range is still selling and is still competitive.

Btw, how long are we giving this thread until it gets locked? I'm going for 3 more hours...
March 12, 2007 7:18:48 PM

Look LordPope,

You are not fooling anyone. This is almost as bad as "Well I'll just take my ball and go home".

You have been an outright AMD Fanboy (poor one at best) for quite some time ie.. your nomination...

Now over the past few weeks with AMD releasing quarterly projections that do not meet market expectation you start many many of these types of threads.

You have pinged people all over these forums for suggesting Intel for anything... Then when questioned/asked for details you are unable to provide them. Funniest part about all this is you are a POOR AMD supporter/Fanboy.. Not as in "I feel sorry for you POOR" (although I do), but as a "you are really not very good at it kind of POOR".

Now that you have been called the carpet so many times you want to clog the forums with crud like this?

So go ahead take your ball and go home!! How old are you anyway?

Sheesh!!
March 12, 2007 7:22:54 PM

Quote:

good observation. the spartans held off the persians long enough for the greeks to mobalize.
March 12, 2007 7:23:06 PM

Quote:

Btw, how long are we giving this thread until it gets locked? I'm going for 3 more hours...

wont be too long... i am sure one of the emotional posters already reported it...
March 12, 2007 7:23:09 PM

In fact LordPope,

These tactics are something that even my 9 year old son has already learned to deal with/stop doing.

So I guess, I again call into question your age?
March 12, 2007 7:24:41 PM

Quote:

wont be too long... i am sure one of the emotional posters already reported it...

The "emotional posters":?:
March 12, 2007 7:27:09 PM

Jamie,

You are classified as an emotional poster if you do not agree to follow along with his rants.
March 12, 2007 7:29:20 PM

LordPope,

Since you may not have a ball (now that did not sound nice :) )

I thought I would provide you one so you can get on with it!!

Thought the Mystic 8-Ball only fitting as it seems to be where the LordPopr gets his answers from...
March 12, 2007 7:29:46 PM

Quote:
Jamie,

You are classified as an emotional poster if you do not agree to follow along with his rants.

Well, last time he did say I was on Crystal Meth... I guess that would make me pretty emotional, right? ;) 
March 12, 2007 7:42:14 PM

An impact that gamers will feel from piracy is that companies which traditionally worked on PC titles are thinking about branching towards consoles. "We have changed our focus," Hollenshead said during the session. Because piracy for consoles is no where near as rampant compared to the PC, companies are beginning to enter contracts for console development.

http://www.dailytech.com/GDC+2007++id+Software+CEO+Talk...

The article goes on to say about 30%-40% profit loss due to PC game software piracy. imo that is the biggest impact on the price you pay to play games on a computer, and would be the downfall if there ever is one.
March 12, 2007 7:42:26 PM

Quote:
heres the deal, bak in the p4 era before amd came out with ath 64bit line, they were in a worse position then now, money is being spent? no kidding because they are on the verge of new release all their money is going into their produicts, woudl u rather them sit on their ass with money and release their new line later?

I accept that AMD is spending a lot of money and they need to in order to develope a new, better product. But your last words, "release their new line later" has become their problem. The R600 was initially supposed to come out before Dec, then got delayed, and delayed again and we're still waiting. Same thing is happening in the cpu lineup, continual delays. I really wish they would release something instead of just sitting around and doing nothing.

Ok, that said, maybe they are having some problems with the hardware, drivers, or something else. I could accept that, if they would just be honest enough to say, "We're having some problems". In my opinion, it would have been better if instead of announcing a release date and then going through repeated delays, they would have simply said they had a new lineup in the works and made no anounced release dates. Then we could have looked forward to a new cpu and a new video card and not faced the continual disappointments.

Remember the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"? As it stands, we've been fooled more times than that, so I no longer trust anything that AMD says. I just get irritated about it. Oh well, such is my opinion.
March 12, 2007 7:48:13 PM

Quote:
Remember the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"? As it stands, we've been fooled more times than that, so I no longer trust anything that AMD says. I just get irritated about it. Oh well, such is my opinion.

Of course, not everyone remembers that old saying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A
!