"Cloning" Pokemon from one cartridge to another...

OK, I own FR, LG, Ruby and Sapphire.

FR is my "main" game - I'm trying to complete my Pokedex on that one as much
as I can - so far though I'm only up to exactly 200 Pokemon. Ruby and LG
have been finished in that I've beaten the Elite 4 and I'm just wandering
around trying to catch more Pokemon for exporting to FR, and I'm about to
start Sapphire so I can do the same thing - I only bought that one last
week.

Here's the rub - because I like to use the same team wherever I go (in
whichever cartridge) it's a bit of a drag having to trade them over to, say,
Ruby whenever I fancy a blast on that game. I know it only takes a couple
of minutes, but even so...I'm impatient by nature.

Is there anyway I can back-up my FR savegame before exporting my team to LG,
Ruby or Sapphire, do the trade, and then restore the savegame so that I've
effectively cloned my "A-Team" onto each cartridge?

Or is that really, REALLY lame?

Regards,

Doctor Sinister

doctorsinister@blahblahblah.co.uk

www.blahblahblah.co.uk

---------------------------------------

SINISTER INCORPORATED - If we can't have the world, NO-ONE can!

Doctor Sinister wrote:

> Is there anyway I can back-up my FR savegame before exporting my team to LG,
> Ruby or Sapphire, do the trade, and then restore the savegame so that I've
> effectively cloned my "A-Team" onto each cartridge?

I know back in the Chromatic era, and possibly Metallic, you could clone
Pokemon by turning off your GameBoy at some point during a trade.
Most likely after the Pokemon is transfered but before your game saved
the data. If you do it right, the Pokemon would be on both carts and I
assume whatever hapless schmo you were trading for it is lost forever.
Of course, messing up could result in a damaged save file. I think this
bug was squashed by either the Metallics or Gemstones.

There was also the MegaMemory Card, which went between the GameBoy and
the game and backed up memory data. It could backup hundreds of Pokemon
saves, or so it said. However, a number of users reported losing game
saves to this device. If one exists for the GBA, you could try that if
you're willing to risk it.

I think either technique could be considered cheating, as you could make
several copies of rare Pokemon and the items they could hold. I'm no
die-hard player, but I don't think it's good to cheat at all. Then
again, I merely consider using a GameShark to get creatures as rare as
Mew and Celebi an act of civil disobedience.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

"We never feel we are ready for whatever's calling us; The point is to
do it anyway."

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531

Hmmm....yes, if it's cheating then it would be a shame to do this after all
the legitimate work I've put in so far.

Thanks!

Dr. S.

The SOLE reason I own a GameShark (InterAct verison, not MadCatz) is to
backup (and restore) my save files from 90% of my GBA games onto my
computer. While this allows muliple redundancy in case of an accident,
it also has the wonderful side effect of allowing Pokes to be "cloned"
from one cart to another, since RuSa and FRLG can both be backed up.
Backing up a save using the GS, then proceeding to trade and restore
the original save will "kill" the traded Pidgey or Nidoran, but your
ULTRA COOL BAGON TEAM or whatever will survive on both carts.