FOX HD NFL Sunday WOW! (9-12-2004)

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 12, 2004 10:34:34 PM

I have read all the news about Fox's "revolutionary" splicer system,
being fully skeptical up until now. I kept thinking, "ahh, this
is just a way for Fox-network to drag its feet and weasel out of
offering a *real* HD-signal to its viewers."

But today's NFL-Sunday presentation erased my doubts, ALL OF THEM.
I was still doubting up through the pre-game coverage (the
pre-game was upconverted-SD, and not particularly good looking.)
What a dramatic difference between the actual field coverage an
the pre-game coverage!

The picture sharpness is excellent, just as good as ABC's 720p
signal. No surprise there.

The real surprise was the 'motion quality', and how well FoxHD
holds up during scenes like fast camera pans and other
'scene transitions' (like a graphic overlay/scoreboard moving
on-screen/off-screen.) On the other HD-channels, I can
see the picture break-down (square blocks, smears, etc.) during fast
camera pans. For example, the 'NFL on CBS' logo, the *very annoying*
water-noise during the NBC's Olympics HD (swimming coverage.) The
moving NFL-CBS screen wipe shows severe disturbance of the background
picture (blocks, squares), though it 'snaps' back to full sharpness
a split second later. The FoxHD picture held its sharp, defined quality
at all times. Quite simply, it handled motion and And it much better
than any other local HD-programming I've seen. In my area ABC is
a distant "2nd place" for motion-quality.

It's especially noticeable during the wide-angle field shots, which
include a lot of the crowd/stands. On other channels (CBS), if you
look closely, the wide-angle crowd-shots turn into a mess of square
blocks. On Fox's channel, the wide-angle field shots held up very
well. The comprsesion artifacts were better.

On a subjective scale, I'd rank the *motion-quality* in this order:

1) Fox-HD (through *splicer* system), '9.5'
2a) KABC (720p, Los Angeles) '8.5' (before Sep 2003)
2b) KABC (720p, Los Angeles) '7.5' (after Sep 2003)
3) KCET (1080i PBS, Los Angeles) '7' (before 2003)
4) KCBS (1080i Los Angeles) '7'
5) KNBC (1080i Los Angeles) '7'
6) WB (1080i KTLA, Los Angeles) '6'
7) KCET (1080i PBS, Los Angeles) '5' (after 2003)

*KABC and KCET began multicasting in 2003.
KABC uses ~15-16Mbps for its primary program (720p)
KCET uses ~14-15Mbps for its primary program (1080i)
KTLA uses ~14-15 for its 1080i broadcast.
Prior to that, both stations broadcast HD at full bitrate (19MBps)

The amazing thing is that Fox'sHD signal is broadcast at 15Mbps,
less than the full ATSC bitrate (19MBps.) And it sitll looks
better than the other stations in my area broadcasting at 19Mbps.
(Ok, CBS 1080i looks better during still-shots, but once the camera
starts moving, FoxHD all the way!)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 13, 2004 1:15:08 AM

hdtvloser (hdtvloser@hdtvlover.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> The FoxHD picture held its sharp, defined quality
> at all times.

They had one small breakdown during the 1st half of the Dallas @ Minnesota
game. The left side of the field (only the left side) had lots of spurious
noise that looked for all the world like "snow" on an analog broadcast.

It didn't occur on shots to the right side of the field, and was fixed no
later than the second half (although it might have been fixed late in the
first half...I can't recall).

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/MoneyToConsultants...

The FOX-HD Philly/Giants feed was terrible. Lots of distortion and the sound
kept drifting in and out of 5.1. Of course all the commercials were fine,
with beautiful 5.1 surround sound. Yippy! Commercials!!

!