RIS communication with server

I don't understand why I am getting the error: "The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary drivers for your network adapter."

If the workstation can 'boot from LAN' and find the list of available OS images from the RIS Server why can't it use that link it obviously has to get the image?
4 answers Last reply
More about communication server

    RIS uses has two different connection stages - the first bit uses PXE to
    connect to the RIS server, then it switches to SMB which requires the
    Windows drivers for the NIC to be present in the RIS image.

    "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I don't understand why I am getting the error: "The operating system image
    you selected does not contain the necessary drivers for your network
    adapter."

    > If the workstation can 'boot from LAN' and find the list of available OS
    images from the RIS Server why can't it use that link it obviously has to
    get the image?

    OK, so if the workstation can pick up the list of images it is PXE compatible...right?

    How do I put the NIC drivers in the RIS image, surely they are already there as the image was created from a workstation with that NIC installed...???

    this should be made easier by m\soft.

    "Brendon Rogers" wrote:

    > RIS uses has two different connection stages - the first bit uses PXE to
    > connect to the RIS server, then it switches to SMB which requires the
    > Windows drivers for the NIC to be present in the RIS image.
    >
    > "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't understand why I am getting the error: "The operating system image
    > you selected does not contain the necessary drivers for your network
    > adapter."
    > >
    > > If the workstation can 'boot from LAN' and find the list of available OS
    > images from the RIS Server why can't it use that link it obviously has to
    > get the image?

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 05:48:01 -0700, Fabrussio
    <Fabrussio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >How do I put the NIC drivers in the RIS image,

    This is the official solution:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315279

    --
    Helge Wunderlich
    Please remove obvious part of address to send mail

Microsoft Servers Windows