RIS communication with server

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 24, 2004 5:00:02 AM

I don't understand why I am getting the error: "The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary drivers for your network adapter."

If the workstation can 'boot from LAN' and find the list of available OS images from the RIS Server why can't it use that link it obviously has to get the image?
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:15:49 AM

RIS uses has two different connection stages - the first bit uses PXE to
connect to the RIS server, then it switches to SMB which requires the
Windows drivers for the NIC to be present in the RIS image.

"Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't understand why I am getting the error: "The operating system image
you selected does not contain the necessary drivers for your network
adapter."

> If the workstation can 'boot from LAN' and find the list of available OS
images from the RIS Server why can't it use that link it obviously has to
get the image?
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:15:50 AM

OK, so if the workstation can pick up the list of images it is PXE compatible...right?

How do I put the NIC drivers in the RIS image, surely they are already there as the image was created from a workstation with that NIC installed...???

this should be made easier by m\soft.

"Brendon Rogers" wrote:

> RIS uses has two different connection stages - the first bit uses PXE to
> connect to the RIS server, then it switches to SMB which requires the
> Windows drivers for the NIC to be present in the RIS image.
>
> "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I don't understand why I am getting the error: "The operating system image
> you selected does not contain the necessary drivers for your network
> adapter."
> >
> > If the workstation can 'boot from LAN' and find the list of available OS
> images from the RIS Server why can't it use that link it obviously has to
> get the image?

June 24, 2004 11:56:42 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 05:48:01 -0700, Fabrussio
<Fabrussio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do I put the NIC drivers in the RIS image,

This is the official solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315279

--
Helge Wunderlich
Please remove obvious part of address to send mail

i had this problem in windows 2003 enterprise sp1.
I dumped the driver files in each image at the same level as the i386 folder (not inside) works everytime for me.
!