Clone a W2K server???

Is it possible or is there software that would let me
clone a Windows 2000 Server (DC)? Kind of like Ghost but
without all of the Driver headaches. I know that there
are programs that move desktop computers but what about
servers?
4 answers Last reply
More about clone server

    Ghost is one of the best. I've never had driver headaches with it but I do
    use products that they have drivers for and keep it up to date. I have it
    used in our Training center to literally clone servers thousands of times
    over the years....

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Jason" <jwulf_98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible or is there software that would let me
    > clone a Windows 2000 Server (DC)? Kind of like Ghost but
    > without all of the Driver headaches. I know that there
    > are programs that move desktop computers but what about
    > servers?

    Scott,

    Thank you for your response. I did try ghost and the one
    headache I got was when I first logged onto the "new"
    Server I had a SCSI error. The old server has IDE and
    the new has SCSI. I had to do a re-install/repair and
    use F6 to load the driver. When I tried installing the
    driver on Bootup it gave me a "SCSI Port Start Entry
    Point" error. Whatever that is? In addition it did
    loose some settings like the static IP which was probably
    because of Windows recognizing a new MAC. Any thoughts?
    I am hoping that when I clone that it doesn't affect any
    AD replication. That's my next test.

    Jason

    If you want to do multiple installs with the same settings, but onto different hardware, you
    might look into an automated install technique, like using winnt.sif with boot cd.

    --
    Tom

    > Scott,
    >
    > Thank you for your response. I did try ghost and the one
    > headache I got was when I first logged onto the "new"
    > Server I had a SCSI error. The old server has IDE and
    > the new has SCSI. I had to do a re-install/repair and
    > use F6 to load the driver. When I tried installing the
    > driver on Bootup it gave me a "SCSI Port Start Entry
    > Point" error. Whatever that is? In addition it did
    > loose some settings like the static IP which was probably
    > because of Windows recognizing a new MAC. Any thoughts?
    > I am hoping that when I clone that it doesn't affect any
    > AD replication. That's my next test.
    >
    > Jason

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Cloning typically only works when going to the same hardware. Cloning a IDE
    machine and then restoring to SCSI is obviouly going to have issues and I
    would look at Tom reponse.

    --

    "Tom Stewart" <tastewar@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
    > If you want to do multiple installs with the same settings, but onto
    different hardware, you
    > might look into an automated install technique, like using winnt.sif with
    boot cd.

    > --
    > Tom
    >
    > "jason" <jwulf_98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Scott,
    > >
    > > Thank you for your response. I did try ghost and the one
    > > headache I got was when I first logged onto the "new"
    > > Server I had a SCSI error. The old server has IDE and
    > > the new has SCSI. I had to do a re-install/repair and
    > > use F6 to load the driver. When I tried installing the
    > > driver on Bootup it gave me a "SCSI Port Start Entry
    > > Point" error. Whatever that is? In addition it did
    > > loose some settings like the static IP which was probably
    > > because of Windows recognizing a new MAC. Any thoughts?
    > > I am hoping that when I clone that it doesn't affect any
    > > AD replication. That's my next test.
    > >
    > > Jason

Windows 2000 Microsoft Servers Windows