Clone a W2K server???

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 24, 2004 2:46:02 PM

Is it possible or is there software that would let me
clone a Windows 2000 Server (DC)? Kind of like Ghost but
without all of the Driver headaches. I know that there
are programs that move desktop computers but what about
servers?

More about : clone w2k server

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 6:20:41 PM

Ghost is one of the best. I've never had driver headaches with it but I do
use products that they have drivers for and keep it up to date. I have it
used in our Training center to literally clone servers thousands of times
over the years....

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Jason" <jwulf_98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible or is there software that would let me
> clone a Windows 2000 Server (DC)? Kind of like Ghost but
> without all of the Driver headaches. I know that there
> are programs that move desktop computers but what about
> servers?
June 25, 2004 9:28:23 AM

Scott,

Thank you for your response. I did try ghost and the one
headache I got was when I first logged onto the "new"
Server I had a SCSI error. The old server has IDE and
the new has SCSI. I had to do a re-install/repair and
use F6 to load the driver. When I tried installing the
driver on Bootup it gave me a "SCSI Port Start Entry
Point" error. Whatever that is? In addition it did
loose some settings like the static IP which was probably
because of Windows recognizing a new MAC. Any thoughts?
I am hoping that when I clone that it doesn't affect any
AD replication. That's my next test.

Jason

June 25, 2004 2:40:08 PM

If you want to do multiple installs with the same settings, but onto different hardware, you
might look into an automated install technique, like using winnt.sif with boot cd.

--
Tom

> Scott,
>
> Thank you for your response. I did try ghost and the one
> headache I got was when I first logged onto the "new"
> Server I had a SCSI error. The old server has IDE and
> the new has SCSI. I had to do a re-install/repair and
> use F6 to load the driver. When I tried installing the
> driver on Bootup it gave me a "SCSI Port Start Entry
> Point" error. Whatever that is? In addition it did
> loose some settings like the static IP which was probably
> because of Windows recognizing a new MAC. Any thoughts?
> I am hoping that when I clone that it doesn't affect any
> AD replication. That's my next test.
>
> Jason

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 2:40:09 PM

Cloning typically only works when going to the same hardware. Cloning a IDE
machine and then restoring to SCSI is obviouly going to have issues and I
would look at Tom reponse.

--

!