Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2?

Last response: in Windows 7
July 20, 2011 9:47:04 AM

Hi there,

I'm building a Sandy Bridge PC (my first build) with 8GB RAM, and i5-2500K CPU.

I'll be using it for work as well as playing games such as Crysis, Combat Arms and COD.

Microsoft offers a free legit copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 - instead of paying £80 for Windows 7.

I have a few questions though:

Will it work with games, will all software work just fine with it, and is it the same UI etc. as Windows 7?

Basically, is it Windows 7 + Server stuff that you can disable :)  and should I go for it instead of 7 - bear in mind I'm a student on a tight budget :p 

Thanks

a b $ Windows 7
July 20, 2011 10:42:33 AM

SVR08 is based off the NT 6.1 core aka Vista and yes you can turn it into a workstation : http://www.win2008workstation.com/

Now saying that, a lot of stuff may not work correctly on SVR if it does version checking.

Personally, stick with Windows 7 (Pro), but try it, you get a grace period before you need to activate.
July 20, 2011 1:39:11 PM

windows vista = 6.0 = Windows 2008
Windows 7 = 6.1 = windows 2008 R2

I've been running R2 as a desktop for a while now and most software have noissues running on R2. I had 1 defrag program telling me that it couldnt run on a server version of the OS.

So as mentionned try it with R2, install the desktop experience from the features.
!