Clean install of Windows 2000 Pro

I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro. When I choose to do the clean install, it goes through, but it keeps the original installation of Windows 2000 Pro and doesn't wipe the harddrive. Is there a way to wipe off the harddrive and start fresh with one installation of Windows 2000 Pro? Thanks

Erik

erik@prp.com
4 answers Last reply
More about clean install windows 2000

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Erik" wrote:
    |I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro. When I choose to do
    the clean install, it goes through, but it keeps the original installation
    of Windows 2000 Pro and doesn't wipe the harddrive. Is there a way to wipe
    off the harddrive and start fresh with one installation of Windows 2000 Pro?
    Thanks

    | Erik
    |
    | erik@prp.com

    Thanks for the help and sorry for posting in the other group. Anyway the first part of your answer is a little bit over my head (which isn't saying much). How do I go about changing the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom? Is this something that I will need to have once I delete the partitions? Thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it!!!

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    > disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    > CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    > makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    > prompts.
    >
    > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
    > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
    > letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Erik" wrote:
    > |I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro. When I choose to do
    > the clean install, it goes through, but it keeps the original installation
    > of Windows 2000 Pro and doesn't wipe the harddrive. Is there a way to wipe
    > off the harddrive and start fresh with one installation of Windows 2000 Pro?
    > Thanks
    > |
    > | Erik
    > |
    > | erik@prp.com

    Please disregard my previous reply. I figured out how to make the setup disks, but now I need to know how to change the boot order in the BIOS to ensure that I can boot up with the CD or the setup disks. Thanks again!!!

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    > disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    > CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    > makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    > prompts.
    >
    > When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions
    > found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
    > restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
    > letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Erik" wrote:
    > |I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro. When I choose to do
    > the clean install, it goes through, but it keeps the original installation
    > of Windows 2000 Pro and doesn't wipe the harddrive. Is there a way to wipe
    > off the harddrive and start fresh with one installation of Windows 2000 Pro?
    > Thanks
    > |
    > | Erik
    > |
    > | erik@prp.com

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Check your mb manual for instructions. It varies depending on the bios
    manufacturer. Also if you can boot the CD-Rom then you won't need the setup
    disks. Likewise if you boot the setup disks you don't need to worry about
    the cmos boot order.

    --

    "Erik" wrote:
    | Please disregard my previous reply. I figured out how to make the setup
    disks, but now I need to know how to change the boot order in the BIOS to
    ensure that I can boot up with the CD or the setup disks. Thanks again!!!

Windows 2000 Hard Drives Clean Install Windows