Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Add Win2K server to NT domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 30, 2004 12:10:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

The Scenario is: I have a win NT 4.0 domain running DHCP,
WINS,NAV server and used as a printer server and File
Server. There are Win2K workstations and XP Pro
Workstations connected to it. We have recently brought a
new Windows 2000 Server and need to add it to the domain.
Right now the NT Server is a PDC. The windows 2000
server added to the domain without running AD. I am able
to see the NT and 2K server and move data between them.
What are the best practices and the right way to add it
to the domain and later make the windows 2000 server as
the primary server switching all the services over
without interuption.
Thanx a lot.
D
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 2:35:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

> What are the best practices and the right way to add it
> to the domain


A Win 2k server can only be a member server (by not installing AD) or a PDC
emulator (by upgrading the existing PDC) on a NT 4.0 domain.


and later make the windows 2000 server as
> the primary server switching all the services over
> without interuption.
> Thanx a lot.

When installing AD you are asked if this is the first DC in the AD domain,
if you say no, you will be required to point it to a Win 2k DC (which you
don't have) or the install will fail. If you say yes you are creating a new
domain. The ONLY way to carry your existing SAM into the new domain is to
upgrade your existing PDC FIRST.
Running dcpromo on your Win 2k member server will result in a new domain.

There are basically 2 ways to move from NT 4.0 to Win 2k. Upgrade or
migrate. Each has pros and cons. You should research each way to see which
will work best for you.

Example do you want to keep the same domain name? If so and you want to
migrate to Win 2k instead of upgrading, you should be aware that migrating
requires you to create a trust between the two domains. You can not create a
trust between tow domains with the same name. In this case you would have to
work out renaming your NT domain before starting the migration.

See:
How to Set Up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260871

How To: Upgrade Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107


hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE


"Danny" <aptconsultancy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:23b6001c45eb4$5626e3d0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> The Scenario is: I have a win NT 4.0 domain running DHCP,
> WINS,NAV server and used as a printer server and File
> Server. There are Win2K workstations and XP Pro
> Workstations connected to it. We have recently brought a
> new Windows 2000 Server and need to add it to the domain.
> Right now the NT Server is a PDC. The windows 2000
> server added to the domain without running AD. I am able
> to see the NT and 2K server and move data between them.
> What are the best practices and the right way to add it
> to the domain and later make the windows 2000 server as
> the primary server switching all the services over
> without interuption.
> Thanx a lot.
> D
!