Bored, so i wrote a simple benchmark.

I was bored, so I wrote a simple/small cpu benchmark that tests the dual precision floating point performance of your CPU.

I wrote it in Visual Basic 6

If you run it, please post your score as well as your CPU. Keep in mind that it is NOT multithreaded, so having multiple cores will not benefit this benchmark.

here is the download link: http://h1.ripway.com/bsfoltz/simplebench.exe

My desktop:
Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2.4
Score: 1225

My laptop:
Turion 64 X2 @ 1.6
Score: 745

My fileserver
Pentium 3 @ 500mhz
Score: 237

Im interested to see how accurate my benchmark is, as well as to just generally see some scores of CPU's other than my own.
182 answers Last reply
More about bored wrote simple benchmark
  1. My E4300 topped out at 792.

Wonder what I'd get if I do that mod DaSickNinja reccomended.
  2. That seems odd that a c2d would score lower than my A64..... do you have any demanding apps running in the backround like a game or copying files.... etc?
  3. I've got quite a few things going. Turned off the one program that was maxing out my CPU. Another account running on this computer uses about 5% of the CPU resources at all times, too.

714 is what I'm getting with my normal programs running.
  4. Score: 1249.9627

P4 3.0 Northwood HT Stock

Edit:

And the score fluctuates..

Did get 1258, then 1275, then back to 1249. Not really running hardly that much in the background.
  5. Just a warning about executing programs. I appreciate his effort but I choose not to download and execute the file because I don't know the person who made it and don't have the resources to determine what it does.
  6. 1355 +/- a couple points over 5 runs.

Athlon 5000+ with 2 gigs ram.

Interestingly, I ran it with a virus scan going in the backgound and score only dropped to 1351.

Guess this dual core stuff actually works :)

Just as an aside, why is my computer now dialing a 1-900 number in central America?

And for that matter, I don't remember ever actually visiting any of these port sites that keep popping up on my browser all the time now...

Just kidding...... :) :) :)
    PS - It's real simple VB, couple timed loops is all.
  7. Quote:
    Just a warning about executing programs. I appreciate his effort but I choose not to download and execute the file because I don't know the person who made it and don't have the resources to determine what it does.

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. Then I figured... what the hell, this is Vista, damnit. :lol:
  8. I can assure you, it is not a virus. If it would re-assure you if i posted the source code here, just tell me and I will.
  9. Avast! showed nothing wrong with it, so I also thought WTH.. :lol:
  10. For those that can compile it I'm sure it would help immensely. For those that can't and don't understand such things, might be fun reading.
  11. Quote:
    I can assure you, it is not a virus. If it would re-assure you if i posted the source code here, just tell me and I will.

Sorry, I hope I didn't come off as accusatory. It was just meant as a reminder that anyone could come here and post up 9 or 10 posts then create a thread that links to a program that benchmarks your computer and also does other things like steal information, etc...

I do think you are sincere and I am in no way trying to cast doubt on your hard work, I just want everyone to be aware that if they want to download executables here that ANYONE posts they should do so with some risk in mind.
  12. Quote:
    I can assure you, it is not a virus. If it would re-assure you if i posted the source code here, just tell me and I will.

I would be interested in the source code. In my spare time, I could go about making the program multithreaded, and that way, my X6800 and QX6700 will pwn you all...
  13. I wrote it in 5 minutes so its nothing special:

' this goes in a module

Public Declare Function GetTickCount Lib "kernel32" () As Long
    [/code:1:7bf89a2c03]

[quote]I would be interested in the source code. In my spare time, I could go about making the program multithreaded, and that way, my X6800 and QX6700 will pwn you all...[/quote]

If you know how to multithread applications with vb6, id very much like to be shown how :p
  14. i got 1255 for pentium D 930
  15. multithreaded would be good because i saw it using only one core
  16. I'm still learning just like you. But I'll let you know when I get it right.
  17. 1667 for E6400@ 3.2ghz.
  18. you are stupid (DaSickNinja) all i said was multithreaded is a good idea. as you said u can help this guy in doing that and you start you stupid ass answer for no reason what wrong with you. read my thread again i didn;t mean to ofened you. lol. chill
  19. Quote:
    you are stupid (DaSickNinja) all i said was multithreaded is a good idea. as you said u can help this guy in doing that and you start you stupid ass answer for no reason what wrong with you. read my thread again i didn;t mean to ofened you. lol. chill

I think he was talking to me... as in he doesnt know how to multithread apps in vb6 yet either...
  20. well then i am sorry.
  21. Quote:
    you are stupid (DaSickNinja) all i said was multithreaded is a good idea. as you said u can help this guy in doing that and you start you stupid ass answer for no reason what wrong with you. read my thread again i didn;t mean to ofened you. lol. chill

What?
  22. 1259.6535
  23. I get a score of ~954 on my AMD 2400+Thoroughbred with 512MB of ram 8O

Lol it must be my GeForce4 Pwnage.......jk
  24. Hmm, would it be fair if I wrote it in C? :D
  25. I scored 1890
  26. sorry my specs e6700 @ 3.52
  27. How bout C#?
  28. Too bad i use vb6 and not vb.net.... i guess its no soup for me :p
  29. My Laptop:
    Core Duo 2400 @1.8Ghz
    Gets- 904

My (Temporary :D ) Desktop:
    Athlon (Orion) @ 700 mhz
    Gets- 374

(My Athlon XP crapped out on me :evil: )
  30. I don't know C#. Plus, AFAIK it only works on Windows.
  31. I don't know C that well (still a student)
  32. Very cool. I realize the difficulty in making programs multi-threaded, but one that was would be very neat. That being said...

1.7Ghz Core Duo notebook: 922
  33. Northwood 3.4

Score: 1591 :!:

Not a bad showing for the old 13 micron Netburst. As a matter of fact I'm close to the top (so far of course, and yes I know it's early)
  34. The Top Five

Tinman69 1890
    DaSickNinja 1826
    JumpinJack 1761
    Derek2 8O 6 1667
    Zorg 1591

(I got 8th :cry: )
  35. Here's what it would be in C++:

Quote:
    #include<iostream>
    #include<windows.h>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {

long i, tickc, starttick;
    double p, k, l, z;
    bool brun;

starttick = GetTickCount();
    p = 3.14159;
    brun = true;
    i = 0;

while (brun = true)
    {
    i = i + 1;

k = p * (p + 1);
    l = (k * p);
    z = l / k;
    l = z * (k + p);
    tickc = GetTickCount();

if (tickc >= starttick + 1000)
    {
    brun = false;
    cout << "The Score is: " << (i / 10000) << endl;
    system("pause");
    break;
    }

}

}

Hope that helps somebody.....
    Unfortunately, the scores don't seem to be compatible with each other....
    (^Yes, I programmed that :D ^)
  36. Quote:

1761 using a 3.33 GHz E6700....

1826 for an X6800 @3.4Ghz

@sirrobin4ever
    Thanks much.
  37. I got ~167.5

AMD K6-III+ 400 MHz running at 380 MHz.
    PCChips Motherboard
    512 MB RAM
  38. Quote:

Why in the world would you run it at 380?
  39. Quote:

Why in the world would you run it at 380?

My uncle runs his Athlon 700 at 600. He thinks overclocking is bad and damages everything so he runs it slower to last longer. Kind of weird.

Ima put my C2D at 3.55 (highest I've reached before) tomorrow and post new score.
  40. I just tried to see how close I could get too the 2000 k marks
    got 1945 e6700 @ 3.68
  41. Quote:

You just called the Ninja stupid...

HEATHEN CHILD!!!!
  42. See if i can reach 2k. Do you guys think 1.6v+ for just like 20 mins would harm things?
  43. You know that source code could have been worth thousands in a few years after some professional development, and you just posted it on here like its nothing? Its good for us but how do you know I wont compile it and put it up on the net under my name? Still thanks for it anyway. Just dont do that with a larger and more valuable program lol coz someone is bound to steal it.

EDIT: At least we know that if we compile that code it isnt going to send our bank details to india. :wink:
  44. 1142 on 4400+ X2.
  45. I just ran mine at 1.475 vcore to get 3.68, I could go higher but am also worried about damaging it, what the hell, i took it too 3.80 1.50 vcore
    1998 score
  46. Using JumpingJack's program improvements he suggested, the C++ variation I have constructed DOES yield a higher score.

So, using my laptop;
    Core Duo 2400 @ 1.8ghz
    My VB score is 904.
    My original C++ score is 3455.
    My revised C++ score is 4005.

Perhaps this is an improvement in the code indeed!

Here's my new code:
    Quote:
    #include<iostream>
    #include<windows.h>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {

long i, endtick, starttick;
    double p, k, l, z;
    bool brun;

starttick = GetTickCount();
    p = 3.14159;
    brun = true;
    i = 0;

endtick = GetTickCount() + 1000;

while (GetTickCount() <= endtick)
    {
    i = i + 1;
    k = p * (p + 1);
    l = (k * p);
    z = l / k;
    l = z * (k + p);
    }
    cout << "The Score is: " << (i / 10000) << endl;
    system("pause");
    }

I really wish that I could post the .exe on here...but alas, I know not how to get the .exe out of Visual Studio...let alone on the forum.
  47. Quote:
    my X6800 and QX6700 will pwn you all...

oohh mr. tough guy :P

i scored an 1100 on a 3700 at stock.

my cough **fx60 computer has a bad hdd** :cry:

i think/hope :?
  48. Desktop
    Fx-60 stock 2.6 ghz
    1 gig ram
    score: 1392.7832

Laptop
    Turion Ml-32 stock 1.79 GHZ